Speedrunning Civ 3

Chicken Pizza

Warlord
I always enjoy the Super Metroid final, but feel that AGDQ and SGDQ need too many stupid games to keep the interest up.

So would it be possible, and fun, to speed run Civ 3 with RNG manipulation?

Without it?

What categories: culture victory (a joke)?

Time would of course be counted in in-game turns.

I'm not sure why you'd want to manipulate the RNG. The fastest finish conquest games in the HOF are already only 4 turns long (and about 5 minutes).

The fastest finish conquest games in the HOF are already only 4 turns long (and about 5 minutes).
How does one win the game in four turns?

It's a corner case. I just checked the HOF. Consider:
  • Conquest Victory condition: kill all the other civs
  • Tiny map: only one other civ to kill
  • Choose Aztecs or Inca, since they have a really early unit with two movement
  • Lower difficulty level, say Regent or below, so that the AI don't have extra military units at the start
Send your starting unit looking for the AI capital, find it, and walk in before the AI has a chance to build a defender.

@Chicken Pizza , were you thinking of speedrunning as the fastest time to a Space or UN victory?
In the Mario tradition of racing through to get a certain number of levels completed, in as little elapsed time as possible?

@Chicken Pizza , were you thinking of speedrunning as the fastest time to a Space or UN victory?
In the Mario tradition of racing through to get a certain number of levels completed, in as little elapsed time as possible?

I wasn't thinking anything specific really, it was just an idea, and the thought that the best games should be shown on GDQ.

I've seen Fire Emblem games being speedrunned, and although it's just basically the hero being carried around by a pegasus, it's still one of my favourite games.

It's a corner case. I just checked the HOF. Consider:
  • Conquest Victory condition: kill all the other civs
  • Tiny map: only one other civ to kill
  • Choose Aztecs or Inca, since they have a really early unit with two movement
  • Lower difficulty level, say Regent or below, so that the AI don't have extra military units at the start
Send your starting unit looking for the AI capital, find it, and walk in before the AI has a chance to build a defender.

More or less, but even on tiny maps 2 AI are required for HOF. On small, the fastest is about 10 turns, and you have 3 AI to find and destroy. The really fast games go all the way up to emperor (12 turns) on tiny, and there is even a 9-turn win on standard, where 4 AI are required.

The HOF is filled with fastest finishes of all victory types. Some of the early games have really nice write-ups - DaveMcW has a nice writeup of his 570 AD spaceship game, for example.

It seems like you're describing this site's HOF. You should acquaint yourself with the rules and try to submit some games!

Thanks for the answers.

So what's your thoughts about a 4 player Civ 3 game as a GDQ final, now that Starcraft/Warcraft seems to have wanished and Super Metroid very much needs a break?

If that was directed at me, I do need to submit a few more games, but see this:
http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ3/stats.php?show=counts
Most certainly not! I suppose I was just parroting what you had said.

I remember you saying, (sometine, someplace) you would search for tables with empty spots to make the table more competitive. I did similar for my 100k entry, but my reasoning was to get myself an easier spot on a VC I don't play very much :)

Top Bottom