*Spoiler4* Gotm24-Korea - End Game Submitted

Well, I got worked in this game. I never really figured who was who until half way through the game, I was always behind in techs, which meant I couldn't take my island. It was very bad. I kept falling further and further behind. Eventually, I had my riflemen defending against mech inf and modern tanks. Not a pretty sight. Oh yeah, with the rest of the world against me, even though I had Alliances with them against the Han, they decided to change when all the trade deals I had fell as my cities fell. Overall, not good. I lost as my final city was destroyed. Well, I will wait to see how the next game goes.

GOTM 24 - PTW 1.27f - Predator (1st time) - Playing with the Epics spirit (shooting oneself in the foot)

Well, like each month, a short summary of my game, as I don't lurk the spoilers during my game...

-----

QSC

You'll find my detailed 80 first turns in my QSC log... when it becomes available... Here is my position in 1000BC :

12 cities.
Treasury : 412 gold.
Resources : 1 horse, 1 dyes, 2 wools.
Army : 17 workers (+1 slave), 11 warriors, 4 otomo spearmen (and 1 sunk junk).
Diplomacy : 3 civs at peace (no embassies).
Culture : 308.
Science : not discovered yet (damn slow AIs) : Construction, Currency, the Republic, Shamanism (Polytheism), Monarchy.
Score : 399 (1st of the 4 civs).

And of course I settled right on the starting hill !!! :D

-----

Post-QSC Ancient Times

My goal is the Medal like always (but a good Jason score is welcome too). So I made everything I could to reach Fission as fast as possible.

My main concern after the QSC period was to settle 3 cities on the barb island, which took some time (110BC : last barb camp destroyed by culture). I built libraries in every city very quickly. In 730BC I discover the Republic and the new government is proclamed in 650BC (4-turn anarchy period). One thing important to note is that, despite going quickly to Literature, I didn't want to build the Great Library. From my experience in GOTM 21, it only slows down the research pace, something I didn't want at all. All the more with slow AIs... Instead, Kaesong (the Goguryean capital) completed it, but I've never captured that city. In 570BC I enter the Middle Ages, drawing Engineering as my free tech.

-----

Middle Ages

In 150BC one of us gets contact with Japan, and I meet a lot of new friends... and see the power of cracker's crew : damn good map, who got the idea to invert north and south ? Very nice. :) Crazily in 130BC I declare war on Baekje. The early Middle Ages were slow like they are all the time ; and the fact that my warfare wasn't very effective made me think I was losing precious turns there. I mainly researched the gunpowder/chemistry path first, due to my free tech (Engineering). In 330AD I eventually discover a tech first : Chemistry, thus allowing me to make some profit and tech the lead. In 340AD Baekje is left with one city in the far south, I sign peace. Universities flourish, increasing the tech pace...

In 390AD I declare war on Goguryeo, paying the Han to join my effort ; on the same turn, a Han city completes Copernicus's Observatory, too bad, but wait a little more... In 510AD Goguryeo is gone ; the Han made good use of their riders, capturing many cities (including their capital). In 520AD, after some good efforts, researching essential techs only, I hit the Industrial Ages, and get Nationalism as my free tech (didn't want that one).

-----

Industrial Ages

I delayed my Forbidden Palace a lot, but in 600AD I complete it from scratch in Ch'onan (no leader in this game, very little warfare), a former Baekjen city (in the east). In 620AD Seoul completes Newton's University, helping the tech pace and filling half the requirements for a Golden Age. In 640AD I sign RoP with many civs, already thinking of the Diplomatic Victory. At that point (roughly) I was thinking of invading Shimazu (the black ones), because I wanted to keep the Han as my best trading partner, and Shimazu held at least 2 luxes. But I didn't build up an army for that purpose, thinking that it would delay my victory and that I could get any lux through trade !

In 760AD Seoul completes Smith's Trading Company, and Korea enters a long expected Golden Age ! This 20-turn period saw Korea doing some 4-turn research all the time, blitzing through the Industrial Era. In 950AD Seoul completes the Hoover Dam, and Wonsan the Theory of Evolution. The Golden Age ends in 960AD, a wonderful one ! I capture the last Baekjen city in 990AD : would you have thought I'd keep them with me in the new millenium ? That's one more foe gone for the vote.

At that point I started to give obsolete techs to Japanese civs for almost nothing (unless they could give me some gold). In 1070AD I enter the Modern Era, drawing Rocketry as my free tech (me sad). Samchok was pre-building the UN through the Palace, but was almost done completing the Palace on that turn. I starved it so that the Palace was delayed, but found out 3 turns later that with 1 citizen gone, all the others go back to work... completing the Palace !!! :mad: So I reloaded the game (yes, I did it, stupid feature), so as to irrigate many grassland tiles around the city, thus delaying the starvation... Here is the pic :

I hope it's OK for anyone. If cracker's crew finds something odd around 1070AD-1100AD in my game's saves and reloads, it comes from that.

-----

Modern Era and Victory

In 1130AD I discover Fission at last, and Samchok (a very few shields from the Palace completion) is switched to the UN. In 1140AD I put everything into place for my victory. Knowing almost for sure that the Han would be the other candidate, I sign every civ, except Chosogabe (MPP with the Han), in a military alliance against the Han, after declaring war on them myself. I had a deal with them : they were giving me 181 gpt for 1 more turn, so it's no exploit, I don't care your gold, Wu-Ti !!! :cool: I failed to capture a Han city with my few cavs, and in the IT they started to invade my land (no city attacked)...

The year is 1150AD... Samchok completes the UN...

Here are my notes of the end of the game...

1150AD : Samchok eventually completes the United Nations.
I accept to hold the elections... The candidates are Wu-Ti of the Han Dynasty (as expected) and myself (Wang Kon, better not mess up those names now)...
The best I could get : 7 votes for me (including mine) and 2 votes for Wu-Ti (himself and Chosogabe)... So that's a UN victory !!!

Many civs got their golden age, some by UUs, others by wonders. The only civ I recognize (after watching the replay), except the obvious Han Dynasty with their riders, is Baekje : they got a golden age just after completing the Pyramids, meaning that they were replacing Egypt. Too bad for them though, there was no horse near their capital...
Overall, a nice game, maybe not as excited as it could have been, mainly a builder game. My 1st goal is the Medal, which meant science, science, science.
Superb map of Japan and Korea ! Inverting north and south surely is a neat idea ! Kudos to whoever got that one !

-----

Diplomatic victory
1150AD
time spent : 30h 40m 12s
score : 6459

[ptw] 1.27f (Euro) Open

Spoiler 1 : Ancient Ages (4000BC to 350BC)
Spoiler 2 : Middle Ages to Metallurgy (350BC to 500AD)
Spoiler 3 : Industrial Ages to Mass Production (500AD to 1285AD)
Spoiler 4 : End Game Submitted (1285AD to 1355AD)

Crossing the finishing line (1285AD to 1355AD)
Well, there's not all that much to say here. I completed Mass Production in 4 turns and got Ecology as the free tech. Fission was also completed in 4 turns. Unfortunately I had started the UN prebuild a bit late, so had to wait till 1355AD for the win. I too had trouble remembering my name so just guessed. I had been so honourable and given so many recent gifts to the other civs that the win wasn't in (much, there's always an element of :)) doubt even if I had chosen wrongly.

Luckily I managed to finish this game quite quickly (just 36 Hours, 4 Minutes and 23 Seconds) as I was pretty busy with RL this month (hence writing all of the spoilers after submitting). For those that are interested I got a Fireaxis score of 5608 and Jason score of 7521.

BTW, cracker, that was a great game :goodjob:. Were all of the AI's militaristic by any chance? If so that's just plain evil :lol:

PTW open

Finally managed to finisch a GOTM. PLayed the last two GOTM without submitting due to lack of playing time (still waiting for the cultural victory to kick in on my GOTM 23). Was hard going from the start. Tried to grab our continent before contact but alas no such luck. This really damaged my rep. As the final battle with the Han continued under the gaze of the new found civs.

Stayed out of any war during the end of the middle and modern age and developed my continent, racing throu the tech-tree. When in the end of the modern age one of the remaining civs declared war (God knows why because I was way ahead in tech) I managed to get all the other civs to declare war as well (always handy to have a tech lead to convince them to go to war as well for the common good). This really helped to get my rep back to polite as we where now brothers in arms for the same cause. Never even tried to engage battle, just developed my continent and researched techs.

Still some worries a few turns before I got UN. I had two civ who where polite and the rest catious (1x) and annoyed (2x). Started to give away techs, money, ROP etc but without really getting any advancement in approval rating. Didn't dare to create MPP as a war before my UN vote would distroy any chance of a diplo win. So I gave MPP's, techs, maps, money and even a city! with every other civ just one turn before I build UN. And IT WORKED!!! They were all polite (and thank god didn't declare any wars) and I won diplo at 1480 AD with a fireaxis score of 6158.

Too close for comfort but a win is a win :cool:

MPF

Predator[ptw]1.21

Part3

Part 4 : End Game Submitted (1400AD to 1535AD)

Modern Times = 1475AD;

Great Wonders = Part3+UN(1535AD).

Diplomatic Victory = 1535AD (3:1);
FiraxisScore = 2833.

Originally posted by Yurian
[Diplomatic Victory = 1535AD (3:1);
FiraxisScore = 2833. [/B]

Wow, incredible OCC win, Yurian. Now, I really didn't grasp from your other posts, how you actually managed to pull that one off! So, perhaps that's the only complain. Congratulations!

Too bad. I won't be able to finish this month. But it was a mediocer perfomance of me anyway. :)

I would probably have triggered domination around 1400 ad.

Wow, Yurian! I'd like to see your military advisor screenshot and hear tales of any wars and how you managed to keep relations up since you killed a lot of enemies to get all those Great Leaders. It looks like you kept blockades to prevent the AI settling your colony areas.

[ptw] 1.21f

First Industrial Report

Slight correction: learned MassProd in 970 AD, 1 turn later than earlier reported (Sorry!) And I was Tech-even at this point (actually slightly behind) the Oda; so I started research on MotorTransp hoping for some help. They, of course, learned AmphibWar so no help to be had.

Meanwhile I took the remaining continental cities of the Han; Wu-Ti was down to 1 island city. I debated taking that, too, but decided to leave him with the 1 city so I wouldn't be breaking any alliances I had against him.

Eight turns later I finished research of MotorTransp and Flight, and miracle of miracles, got FISSION as my free tech. :cool: Soooo ...

In 1050 AD, civ_steve-Kon declared a decade long celebration of the 5000 year anniversary of his accension as Ultimate Leader of the Koreans. During this Jubilee decade many festivals were held. The people were quite happy! civ_steve-Kon extended the joyous celebration to the Japanese Clans, too. Scientists were invited to Symposium demonstrating advanced techniques of Combustion, Mass-Production and Flight. The many Luxuries of the Korean Peoples were made available to all; shipments of Dyes, Wines, Furs, Ivory, Wool and Silk left daily for the Japanese Island. Block grants were given to aid certain Japanese civs. All that was asked in return was continued alliance against the treacherous Han, which was graciously accepted!

The climax of the celebration was the unveiling of a new compound of buildings dubbed the 'United Nations'. Under the strong leadership of Yi-song, this grand set of structures was completed in 10 years. Representatives of the other nations were invited for the opening of the complex. 'What is it's purpose?, they asked. 'For Nations to meet and resolve differences', replied civ_steve-Kon. 'But we'll need a Secretary-General to preside over these meetings', he continued. 'Only you could fill that position', gushed several of the attendees. 'Not so fast', said the Tokunagan representative. 'Yes, we should hold an election', stated the Odan ambassador. 'Very Well, who shall we nominate?', asked civ_steve-Kon. 'You!!', was the general reply. 'And who else would like the nominaton?', asked civ_steve-Kon, looking over at the Odan and Tokunagan representatives. They appeared to disappear into a corner, and after several moments of animated discussion, played a few rounds of scissors-paper-stone. They then nodded, and rejoined the main group. The Tokunagan stated, 'I nominate Nobunaga-San, of the Oda, for Secretary-General'. 'Very Well, all in favor of me ...' 'Aye', said the Korean, Kurodan, Mori, Shimazu, Takeda and Chosogabe ambassadors. 'And those for Nobunaga-San?' Only the Oda and Tokunaga said Aye. 'Where is the Han ambassador?' 'He doesn't wish to vote; he's in the corner, in a fetal position, asking that we stop attacking his people and let him go back to his island. 'Very Well, I accept the vote'

Diplomatic Victory, 1060 AD with 7155 Firaxis score.

Civ3 1.29 Predator

I was running out of time this month so I went for a quick game...
I started the game playing agressively. By 1000BC I had 16 cities, 11 bushi, 16 warriors, 7 horseman, 15 workers and 3 luxuries connected. I destroyed both Baekje and Goguryeo in 690BC and Han in 310BC, but I didn't get a leader in these wars. I got contact with the japanese clans around 750BC and I switched to Monarchy a few turns later. I conected all the 6 luxuries in the home continent in 110BC.
In 30AD I completed The Great Library and in 50AD The Great Lighthouse, triggering my Golden Age. I got Military Tradition in 390AD and Navigation in 430AD. By this time I was already settling in the Japanese continent and I had more than 80 horseman to upgrade. Oda was giving me more than 200gpt and they were strong, so I attacked Takeda first (Togukawa was already destroyed). In the sequence I atacked the Mori and the Kuroda.
In 380AD I finished Leo's Workshop and in 470AD I connected the 8th luxury to my empire. I got my first and unique leader in 580AD and I used it to rush Bach's.
In 660AD, with Takeda, Mori and Kuroda dead and 50 tiles far from the domination, I attacked Oda from the north and from the south, capturing a dozen of cities. I was expecting to lose some of them in their counter attack but they were not able to recapture any city. With some borders expansion between turns I finished the game with 130 tiles more than I needed to get a domination victory in 670AD. :beer:

Well I missed the deadline this month. Since my last report Smith's, Bach and a decent scientific slingshot. I was in the early industrial times with another war started with the Han in 1110AD. That war was the first good war with him thanks to the railnet.

This was the point I got to before the deadline hit.

Not a full post, but might as well give the general description....

IIRC I started on the start square, and built my city into a four-turn settler factory. The only unusual thing I did was to not go exploring. Cracker has a habit of removing goody huts near the starting location, so I wasn't too worried about missing out on those. With 100% science, I was going to get pottery PDQ, so I <think> I pre-built a barracks to switch to a granary when I got pottery (after about 12 turns IIRC).

I got the granary, and needed to manouvre myself into a four-turn settler factory. In doing this, I got two warriors and a worker.

After that, I built two rings of cities, with one city supplying warriors for defence, and Seoul being the only settler factory. Cities were set to build a warrior and then a barracks. I managed to snaffle the horses, so when the barracks were built I started building a horse army.

The first target were the civ to the north, and I made quick work of them, although didn't destroy them as they had founded a city on the island (I later had one of their cities lost to a culture flip). However, I captured the pyramids in this little conquest.

Then headed down to take the green army. Again very successful, as it was an easy conquest. They were building the great library, so I took a gamble that they would finish it. They did, and I captured it. :D

Then Han dynasty was next to fall. At this stage, I had had a lot of elite victories, but no great leader. I was relying on a great leader to build the forbidden palace, and didn't have one! So I went into farmer mode, leaving a unmolested city and a few rogue units to attack with elites. I got lucky, and it was only a few more victories before I got a GL. I quickly finished off the Han dynasty, and mopped up the Baekje. The forbidden palace was rushed in Beijing, which was (handily) in an RCP position!

Then I had a problem. I had been beaten to the great lighthouse, so was in trouble in terms of building an invasion force to get off the island. I needed to wait until navigation to be able to sail the seas confidently, and I was only just inside the middle ages. (about 360 AD).

I had contact with the other civs, so set about bee-lining for navigation, supported by the great library. Most cities were set to build knights, and a few junks. In the end, I don't think that I even had a single knight victory, because I got to military tradition shortly after navigation!

I didn't get to the opther continent until about 770AD. by this stage, the Takeda and Oda were the most powerful, so I got everyone together and ganged up on the Oda. Within a couple of hundred years, I had pushed them off the mainland. Tokugawa was the next target, and I again could take him fairly easily - IIRC he didn't have any iron / saltpetre.

Mori was next, followed by Takeda and Chosogabe. That left the
Shimazu on the island.

This was the difficult bit, because they had rubber, replaceable parts, and a few hundred yers of isolation to build up a substantial army. The other problem I had was a couple of large cities on size 1 islands! I had initially been hamstrung in my conquests by not having the grat lighthouse; now I was hamstrung my not having marines! I bee-lined tech towards amphibious warfare.

I had large amounts of cavalry and artillary protected by infantry for my invasion of the mainland. I managed to cut-off salt-petre initially, but I could only easily cut-off one rubber. It became a farily laborious process to inch my way across Shimazu land, with a constant stream of reinforcements coming from my homeland.

It took from around 1445 right through to 1605 to wipe-out the shimazu, but eventually it was achieved - turns taking a long time because of lots of bombardment, and movement across the continent taking a bit longer because Shimazu never had any coal, hence never built any rail.

A conquest victory, confirmed in 1610.

I am very sorry for this late post. I should have done this a month ago. but I was too busy and also got AC-adoper broken.

First of all, thank you very much for the great GOTM again, cracker and GOTM staff. I enjoyed it as every month.

I would like to write some thoughts/suggestions from Japanese speaker's point of view.

1. The unit "Kensai" should be "Kensei", if it means the sword master.
2. In a turbulent age of Japan, they did not use "-San" when they called other person. "San" is a modern-age way with respect. I think it should be "Dono". So, not "Shingen San", but "Shingen Dono".
3. The Chosogabe should be the Chosokabe.
4. This is just my thought, but some of the leader name are strange for me, because some of them were peace time daimyos (lords) and had great leader or founder of family, which, I think, would fit more as a leader of tribes.

These are just my thoughts. If GOTM staff would create a MODs or expansions with those GOTM add-ons and units for us, please think about these points.

Thanks again for providing us these great opportunities to enjoy new type Civ3.

Top Bottom