• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Sports Trivia Game

Flatlander Fox

Armed Cultural Consultant
I've been in the gaming mood lately (I'm Always in a gaming mood, but it's been worse lately), so I am going with a Sports Trivia thread. It's open to everybody (Yes, even the soccer hooligans can take part!;))

The rules: NO SEARCH ENGINE! Answer the question correctly and then post your next question. If you use a search engine, you might go straight to hell, so please don't. ;)

The First question is: Who was the last player to win a Triple Crown in hitting? (He actually TIED the lead in HRs, but that's just a technicality!:))

Yas?

Fred Lynn?

My brother has informed me that Yaz is the correct answer...

**hangs head in shame**

I was wondering which sport was discussed here.
I'm quite sure it's not football, so after a little bit of thinking I guess it's baseball ? Is that correct ??

ok...thought so..old enough to remember..almost :(.I think it was 67 or 68.

so lets change gears abit

Who is the oldest player to win a PGA Tour event and which event was it?

I'm pretty sure it was the late, great, Sam Snead. I think he won a tournament when he was in his 60s. But I don't know which event. Hopefully someone else can fill in the rest.

For those of us who don't know - who was Yaz, and what is the triple crown of hitting? I imagine hitting %, home runs, and ... RBIs?

Originally posted by Sodak
For those of us who don't know - who was Yaz, and what is the triple crown of hitting? I imagine hitting %, home runs, and ... RBIs?

Sodak,

Thanks for explaining a little bit. I have to confess I don't know so much of American sports, but I like to know a little bit more of these sports.

I'm going to give this one to Tim the E.The Slammer is correct.

He won the Greater Greensboro Open in 1965 aged 52.

He had many successes in his career.We won't mention the US Open.
He even shot his age at 67!..very impressive.

There is also a triple crown of pitching but hitting was specifically asked.

Originally posted by Sodak

Carl Yazstremski (sp?) Played for the Boston Red Sox. You're right on the stats for the triple crown, Batting Average, Home Runs, RBIs (Runs Batted In)

I guess the next question is mine then. Since I can't think of much of anything, I'll give a fairly easy one (although perhaps not for those for whom a football is spherical!)

Name the only players to win the Heisman Trophy (and school/year if you like) while playing on a team that didn't have a winning record that year.

Paul Hornung: Notre Dame (I HATE the Irish, but I remember a feature on him from last year's race...)

You said playerS?!?... That's the only one I know of...:confused:

It's sort of a trick question. The other player did not have a losing record either. The one you hear about is Hornung who went 2-8 in 56. Jay Berwanger, won the first Heisman in 1935 went 4-4 with the Univeristy of Chicago (I think)

By the way, good to hear you think so highly of my alma mater! ;)

They Suck!:D

I guess I get the next question (College Football):

Which Heisman Trophy winner (Within the last 20 years) was not drafted by a NFL team?

It's an easy one!!!

Originally posted by Flatlander Fox
They Suck!:D

I guess I get the next question (College Football):

Which Heisman Trophy winner (Within the last 20 years) was not drafted by a NFL team?

It's an easy one!!!

I would guess it's Charlie Ward, but I'm not sure. Is he still the "best QB playing for a New York team"?

I'm running out of ideas, but...

Bob Gibson had his 1.12 ERA in 1968.

Who led the American League with a 1.60 ERA in that same year? Small clue: Despite that great ERA, he did NOT get the AL Cy Young award.

Top Bottom