Spring Patch notes

Yeah, it's a pretty good trick if you're not planning on expanding your empire further. You can pillage all their tiles and districts, capture the city and swap any land you desire to your own, and then negotiate peace with even greater yields. The other benefit is because you're returning the city you're not getting as many warmonger penalties.
You can also make switches when liberating cities, too. Switch the tiles over before you click "liberate" will grant your cities the tiles. Good when you're liberating city-states since they do nothing after liberation.

You can also make switches when liberating cities, too. Switch the tiles over before you click "liberate" will grant your cities the tiles. Good when you're liberating city-states since they do nothing after liberation.

I forgot to do that in my Cree game. I could have gained a lot of tiles as Nubia had quite a few tiles from the 2 city states they conquered. I had trouble getting Zanzibar back at first because their Patati archers were too much for me. But I eventually got it back in the 2nd emergency after they conquered Auckland a 3rd time.

I eventually liberated both. I could have used those tiles. Oh well. After liberating Auckland a 3rd time I surrounded both Auckland and Zanzibar with troops to hopefully dissuade the AI from conquering it. Nubia never did declare war on either on the rest of the game. The city states also never produced a builder the rest of the game (would have been hard for them to repair though with my troops on the tiles) and I don't even think they got walls up the rest of the game. But I got my Suzerain bonuses, that's all that counts. Got 6 envoys each liberating at that stage of the game.

Good when you're liberating city-states since they do nothing after liberation.

Which is another issue that needs addressing. I think in Civ 5 a liberated City State got your tech level, or maybe all City States got the average tech level of the major civs. Whatever the system was, it worked better than Civ 6.

Liberated City States (and restored major Civs, too) need:
  • Tech and Civics level equal to the current era (just giving them all the techs and civics of their liberator would be an easy solution).
  • A minimum level of military so they can defend themselves. This might go away if the excessive cost of modern military units was addressed - I'd like to see all civs be able to build a certain amount of military cheaply based on their current infrastructure - but if that's not going to be addressed, then at least give City States the ability to build a certain number of military units at say 25% of the normal cost, or even just give them one for free each turn if they don't have the specified minimum.

Two things I think I have seen after the patch
1: AI are building both harbour and commercial hubs now? I think this is a new behaviour?
2: Maps are back to having continents that block your passage and does not allow circumnavigating with a boat

#2 has always been a thing, but since like 99% of us play with YNAMP installed that changes that we think of it as "base game".

The other is when you are close to winning a game it's very difficult to renew friendships/alliances. That "you are winning the game" modifier still seems to be there in invisible form.

Someone from Firaxis said Months ago that it happen when you're leading in multiple victory types. So far in my games this seem to be the case. When I go for cultural or scientific, I always end up leading on at least culture and science, sometimes I invest on my army enough to lead military. Once I get ahead, the AI start to secretly hate me. When I go for religious I neglect science and culture, so I end up only leading on religion. The AI love me through the whole thing. Domination usually end up in a lot of hate, so this modifier doesn't make a difference there, though in my current game I'm managing to conquer and still keep some AI friendly because of joining war and CS liberation, so I might see this modifier kick in later.

The problem is often that, even if you NEVER declare war, someone will DOW you at one time or another, and if you defend yourself and take cities, the penalty will be exactly the same. This is stupid IMHO... if someone DOWs me and I beat the crap out of him/her, well so be it, you got what you deserved !!!

anyways... still love this game... didn't even finish my first game of GALCIV3 and I came back to CIV6...just much more fun to play

I'm in favor of a reduced penalty that increase per city conquered, something like 50% reduction in the first city, 25% in the second, full warmongering in the third. Completely removing warmongering is problematic because it allow the player to cheesy the system, provoque the AI then attack with impunity. As other people suggested, there's ways to punish the AI and still avoid warmongering. Pillaging, tile stealing, conquering a city you don't want then trading it for one you want, conquer a city to keep then liberate another (AI love to conquer CS so there's a lot of opportunities for that). Personally I like to do these things over direct conquering cities, unless I'm going for domination.

Someone here explained to me the history behind the cede mechanism ,but it is such an absurd mechanism any explanation seems never to stick in my mind.

Only thing you need to remember is that it's useless and you shouldn't use it in any circumstance, at least not into Firaxis addresses what the heck it's supposed to do.

Top Bottom