1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Stability Guide

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

Thanks, that was very helpfull. It was under cities (I was looking for Religion)

I still have some questions though.

Does your statereligion give a bonus to stability?

Do I understand correctly that the relious instability penalty is n+1 for all civilizations except Poland and the Ottomans. (where n is the amount of non-state religions)

(for Poland it is 0 and for the Ottomans it is n)

This instability is permanent untill you either switch religions or adopt religious tolerance.

This instability is added to the instability already received from any (possible) unhappiness due to other sources of instability tied to religion (fighting a war with a state with the same statereligion, the civic religious law)

There is no religious instability tied to swing stability (eg the spread of a new foreign religion to your city/empire gives +1 instability for 10 turns)

How do temples reduce religious instability ?(or don't they reduce it at al?)

How do foreign religions influence your religious meter? (and thereby stability for orthodox religions)

2. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

Only Orthodoxy, where you get +1 stability for every 10 faith points. The only impact of state religion is determining which religions are 'foreign' and thus create instability.

Yes. It is also n for total number of religions under Paganism.

No, it is state based, so the instability can be removed via persecution (at a cost of swing instability from persecuting and possibly instability from unhappiness). But as long as the foreign religion remains in your city it creates instability.

Yes. As an aside, this is why I view Poland's UP as being very strong - no religious instability or instability from religious unhappiness.

Not due to religious spread, but there is -3 swing stability for every successful persecution, (0 for Spain). The persecution counter also essentially causes swing instability as the counter decreases by 1 every turn.

Only by reducing unhappiness / boosting happiness and improving Orthodox faith points. Jewish Quarters are the only buildings with a direct stability impact.

The spread of foreign religions makes your faith points decline. Although removing them through persecution adds faith points. Not sure if those two actions exactly balance each other out.

3. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

@ Swarbs

Thanks, that was really helpfull.

~​

Just out of curiosity. Is it intentional or accidental that out of all the religious instabilities solely persecution is implemented through the swing stability?

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Well, I think all that is also on the front page of this thread.
    Little hard to read though, it's just a copy-paste from the civilopedia, didn't add any further comments.
    Any volunteers to improve it?

What do you mean?
    All religious instabilities are temporary, either swing or based on the actual status of religion in your civ and cities.
    Also persecution isn't implemented only through swing instability.
    You would add swing instability to other religious events as well?

5. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

DoC shows the source of stability/instability when you hover over each number for the category.
    Would that be possible in RFCE?

6. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

(about the guide to stability)

I think the guide on the first page is a good description of the mechanics of stability.
    For gameplay of the stability it is a bit puzzling.
    (eg if a thing does nothing it is not in the guide and for gameplay there is no difference between state based and event based modifiers)

My life is a bit stressfull at the moment so I'm afraid I can't commit to a finished product.
    I would be happy to start a first draft though.
    Shall I start a new topic/thread for it?

~​

(about swing stability)

The swing stability gives the player another thing to play with.

eg. (fictional) The acquisition of a tech over the course of turns changenes the stability by: -1,-2,-3,-4,-3,-2,-1,0,+1,+2,+3,+4,+3,+2,+1,0 (and 0 for all additional turns) (timing in this example)

(additional) similar mechanics can be tied to religion(stability/instability).

But from a design perspective it can be a consious decision to limit (as in cut away from) the gameplay to what the designer considers core gameplay (intentional) (eg the omission of corruption in civIV compared to previous installments of the civfranchise) or the current amount of gameplay is the result of mechanics the designer intended to include in (as in ad to) the game (accidental).

It is usually a question of quality of (trim down/cut away from) gameplay vs quantity of (ad to) gameplay.

The answer to this question of best gameplay is an optimum of quality and quantity. And this optimum is usual a personal preference.

(eg. I liked managing the corruption in civIII and I still prefer it today over managing the skyrocketing costs of civic upkeep in civIV)

I (personally) tend to lean to the quantityside of the equation. But having said that: Kitchen sink mods give me nightmares.

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Noted.
    Surely possible, not sure how hard (and time-consuming) would it be to add it for every stability aspect of RFCE.
    I think we have more stability affecting things here, and much more special rules for a couple civics and some civs.