Starting a new level...

MadHatter

Warlord
What techniques do people usually use to get going on a new difficulty level? I just recently started Regent level and am having problems, probably because I'm used to abusing the advantages of Warlord.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

For the first time, take it easy. Do not push for victories, science, wonders. You would lose due to increased difficulty and feel you're not good enough. Instead, build a peaceful country and observe how things go. Try old tricks but don't take them for granted.

Higher level = more micro-management.

Make sure your workers are efficient, only improving the best tiles that your cities will use. Try to build roads in direction where settlers will be heading. This should help your start. Also I find it important to trade with other civs often, and when trading away a tech trade it to everyone on the same turn, else they will just trade with each other anyway.

There's lots of good info on strategy in articles here at CFC, it's worth checking them out.

Expand faster. You've got to have 10-12 cities early on in order to compete with the AI. If there isn't enough room, you've got to have an early war and knock off one civ using horsemen, swordsmen, or archers.

Trade early and often. That's the biggest difference between Civ II and Civ III: you just can't expect to get ahead of the computer in tech very easily. If you have to give up 2 techs to get 1, do it.

Give in to AI demands. In the early game, if the AI demands tech or money, you'd better cough it up unless you have a really good military.

I am finally playing a succesful monarch game because of three reasons

1. I got the Great Library
2. I traded for tech to catch up
3. I got the Theory of Evolution and i am now in front

Oh yes, Park Ranger, i know that micro-management is a good thing but when i get so many workers, i just have to automate them.

I was in your same spot a little while ago but now I'm feeling very confident on regent and I'll be moving up to Monarch soon.

The things I had to change from playing Warlord were.

1- Be more agressive in the early game

2- Don't be Lazy, Focus, Think, every move counts

3- The way I fight wars has changed dramatically I use alot more tactic. For example I only attack a city with a very large force. I try to if possiable knock out enemy resources like Iron.

4- Be more defensive, always be ready for a war, never be caught unguarded.

5- Relationship counts allies are a good thing

6- Try for the great Library it's a big help

that's all I can think of for now but just keep trying

I just started Monarch, and here is what I've found, pretty much: Just don't make stupid mistakes, and think a little harder about every decision. The differences aren't that large between the levels. When I went from Warlord to Regent, I expected a huge change, but I found it was pretty much the same, except for AI expansion and trade rate.

CG

" If you play diety, you may be a serious lack on techs, but the Idiot with alot of freinds is better than the fat, smart guy with the world up his ass. "

Expand fast. There's a couple of articles, I think, in the War Academy on this. Basically, build as many cities as you can as quickly as you can. It may help to play a civ that has a strong early UU (like Persia) Don't be afraid to slap around other civs early in the game, if not for any specific tactical improvement, then only to impede their expansion. The AI seems to have great difficulty getting over early setbacks.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of regent soon enough. The last regent game I played, I had tanks + mech inf long before anyone else (great fun), I was half an age ahead in tech and almost every civ was paying me a couple hundred gpt for various reasons etc etc.

Now monarch, otoh ....

Top Bottom