starting location

flamingn

Chieftain
I am trying to figure out what kind of location is good enough to play with.
if anyone can tell me or point me to a post that will give good information it would be appreciated. I am looking for what is good for what win condition.

You can win with almost any start on any difficulty using any civ with any win condition. Dead serious. They're all "good enough" to play with.

It would be best to have a river start next to a mountain on a hill and with ocean access, but with as few coast tiles as possible. A desert next to you so that many of your river tiles are flood plains is even better (because then you can get super-fast religion, without Piety, even on Deity). 3 Luxuries within the 3 rings of your city is probably best. I've never seen 4, but I guess it could happen. Bananas, Deer, and Cows are wonderful. 2+ fish tiles on 5 or less coast tiles would be great. You also want to start very close to a super-friendly non-expansionist neighbor, like India, and no other close neighbors. You also want to have Sweden in the game. It would be best if there were a could of faith-CSs within scouting-distance of your start.

Then, we can talk about your 2nd and 3rd city locations, and whether any good ones exist for those as well around you. We can go on and on.

This also goes for all win conditions. In BNW, it's really all the same.

Salt helps.

That start is... not great. Half of your tiles are going to be unworkable snow tiles or nearly useless tundra/ocean tiles.
On the plus side, hill+river+ocean is good, and those 5 ocean resources contain 22 food, so they'll feed 6 other tiles. With a lighthouse and the pantheon that gives +1 hammer per ocean resource (god of sea), they'll provide good production, too. Hopefully you've got some iron/horses not visible yet, or something good in the 3rd level.

Don't always settle in place. Going 1 or 2 tiles north here seems a good idea, at least it gets rid of some useless snow tiles, probably gaining tundra.
I'm not sure where you're going with your warrior. There aren't even ruins or CS's on snow, don't explore snow unless you've explored everywhere else!

This wouldn't be my favourite start, but I don't think it's bad at all. God of the Sea would be great, if you can get it.

This start looks good, if you go up 1 tile NW or even 2 tiles straight to North.

The point is you should try to improve your starting location with minimal moving of your settler (1-max 3 Turns normally).

In this situation the point where you settled is far worse than 1 or 2 tiles up.

You need to start on a hill that is not plains, next to a mountain, and on a river. There needs to be lots of flood plains nearby, as well as marble, salt, and lots of stone. Start with Animal Husbandry. If your capital can't reach a four horse tile before you have your first worker, you need to start over.

You need to start on a hill that is not plains, next to a mountain, and on a river. There needs to be lots of flood plains nearby, as well as marble, salt, and lots of stone. Start with Animal Husbandry. If your capital can't reach a four horse tile before you have your first worker, you need to start over.

xDDD i would really wanna know how often you need to reroll to get something like this :D

Also Oil, Uranium, and Aluminium. Lots of it too. I sometimes reroll at turn 300 if I don't like my start. :D

EDIT: I realize you may not have been joking. Maybe you were...I meant no offense.

I've seen worse places to start. Sure the snow is useless, but the sea resources are amazing.

Top Bottom