Starting off Strategy

EuroCiv

Chieftain
What is the best startegy for starting off:-

I usually build about half a dozen cities then begin to start improvements, eg. graneries, barracks, city walls, libraries etc.

What would be the optimum number of cities to get before improving, or is there other strategies i'm missing? :egypt:

I always like to expand to about 7-10 cities and then make improvements or a military, but it depends on what size map you play, how many players you chose and what level you are playing at. At low levels I like to make a huge army and just run the world over, but at higher levels I like to make a plit of a medium army and improvements that will help with my citizens happieness, and my techlological advancement. This allows me to have a strong army neer the end of the game as my citizens are happy and I have the most technology.

My first thing is to utterly destroy any rival civ on my land mass. I do this because

A. I want that land mass for me.

B. Computer Civs can NEVER be trusted (they always try to steal tech even if allied with you) and they look much better as part of my CIV.

C. Unimpeded expansion, see above.

When that is done, I send out the triremes and try to find out where everyone is.

I build whatever wonders of the world that I can, particularly the Great Wall, Marco Polo's Embassy and the Hanging Gardens.

I then expand to other land masses.

Eurociv, Granaries are a waste! I never build those. Well, they are the VERY LAST thing my cities build after SDI and SAM and whatever else. Same with barracks until later in the game.

What I am typing here is essentially another's strategy with a little tweaking and it works well. This works well for Chieftain to Prince, maybe higher too, but I play Prince. 5 - 7 cities is enough for me usually. Obviously, a small island is great for this, helps to avoid early war and theft.

So, build 1st city, build settler. Build second city and have both do another settler. Keep goin until you have 5-7 cities and then have each city build a settler for land improvements. Don't necessarily NEED one settler per city for working... (recently did 5 cities with 3 settlers/engineers) once you have your core of cities and a settler to work the land, build a temple. Then Wonders. I do Hanging Gardens, Colossus for SSC, Great Library IF you desire, or whatever else you want. All cities get temples, 2 or 3 cities build wonders. Obviously, tech research goes normally, go for Monarchy quick, then Currency and Trade. After temples, non wonder builders do marketplaces. After wonders, marketplaces. Then caravans every which way you can to set up trade routes. Obviously, with the SSC, I build a library rather than marketplace, the marketplace will come later. Get Republic and drop science to zero and put lux and tax at 50 each. We Love The Leader Day!!! Even if you need to put Lux up to 80% to keep the cities growing each turm, do it, you still turn a profit with the taxes and trade routes. Max each city to 8 and continue with caravans and city improvements. (At some point, build a defensive unit for each city) Partial rush buy aqueducts when possible, and max each city to 12. Keep lux at 10 or 20% to keep people happy and up the science again. Coloseums are necessary before long. Lower lux when each city has one. Harbors are good for food production. Caravans keep going when you can. (Thanks to Starlifter for the caravan enthusiasm...) So in general, temple, marketplace, caravan, improvement, caravan, improvement etc. until no more caravans are buildable... Max out population of cities meanwhile. Building necessary wonders (what you deem necessary) can distract some of the caravans from setting up trade routes but do what you can. Once each city has temples and coloseums, do sewer systems when you get sanitation. Partial rush buy them also and crank the lux again. Get Cathedrals going in each city or if you prefer Michelangelo's... I go for space race lately so with only a handful of cities, it makes more sense to just build them singly. I always go for Leo's to keep it from other civs and to upgrade my few defensive units automatically along with settlers to engineers. And of course, Democracy quickly is also a good thing. Helps out with tech. So soon enough, you have 5-7 cities with a population point of hopefully 21 or more each, convert extra citizens to scientists, lux at 10 %, 20% if necessary, no more military units than the number of cities you have, close to one engineer per city, and STILL alternating between building caravans and city improvements.

Obviously, this works best if you get to start on a smaller island with no rivals sharing it with you. Skip battles and hassles, just get to building a great, albeit small civ. Your tech will be number one and space is not too far off. :)

I agree w/ floppa -- no granaries, especially on higher levels. Growth is good, but quick growth can throw your cities into revolt and cripple your empire-building aims.

Don't forget roads. Not only do you need it to move caravans and troops between cities, roads are key to getting gold, science and luxuries. Use your settlers as road builders first. Worry about irrigation later.

Thanx all for the advice.

Manipulating the Luxury rate is a new one on me, definitely worth a go to get a quick population burst and negating the effective population rate growth doubling with graneries.

I have been playing mostly on Warlord level for relaxing game for my megalomania ;)

I think these new strategies will let me be more effective at higher levels, Thx :goodjob:

In the beginning:) as in the first couple of moves;) I build a Warrior or two and they explore the immediate enviorment to find where the next city is going. While this is happening a settler is being created,and before he moves out he improves the best two squares. With that done he moves of to found the next city,and a good defensive unit is built. The first two citys are very close together and more settlers are built;3&4;to found the next two cities.Interesting point about the granerys,as I have definetly had problems with population. Back to the point in the very early part of the game;Citys three and four are following what one and two did,while the next settlers that one and two are building are going to make improvments,roads out to three and four.Then it is time for something with movement to go out and explore and meet the neighbours.With four citys one has some back up if the neighbours aren't exactly friendly.[dance]

What do you do when you start with 2 settlers then?
The two schools of thought are:
(a) Two cities are better than one!! :D, and
(b) A NON settler will be able to make improvements all game long and at no cost to your cities!! :D

So which do you prefer? I realise I should have made this a poll, but there was already a relevant thread and I didn't think I needed to found a new one just for this.

The odds for getting a nomad from hut increase drastically when another non settler is NOT present..so build ASAP and you'll get more.Nomads are almost always nons.99.9%

Duke, I go with the one city. I always go for Leo's, so that NON will eventually become an engineer.

Smash, good point. I never thought about that. In a recent game, I started out with one extra NON settler and picked up two more in the first 2 huts I popped. That was really cool. :goodjob: I wish that would happen more often. As for them being NONs 99.9% of the time, I have never hit that .1%... :)

Always found two cities.

Whats the point of having one NON settler? If I found a city with that settler and build a settler in that new city, I will have a settler that consumes resources of a city that I wouldn't have if I don't found it, so .... always better to found a city. :crazyeyes I don't know if I have express myself very well. :rolleyes:

If you switch to Republic fairly quick which is always a good idea, it can cause problems with food exhaustion. I HATE losing settlers that I built because of this. Way I see it, a settler can work two squares as in road and irrigation for your first city, then connect to the second city and work two sqaures, so it is sort of like a damage control for when you switch to republic, know what I mean?

Back when I was a greenie, I would always keep the second settler unit around for the free labor. Since then, I've learned that it's better to settle him. Walk around, find a site with several specials, et voila! City two.

As Smash mentioned, it ups the odds of finding nomads in huts. More importantly, it increases the rate at which you can expand your civ. Instead of settling your second city around 3000bc, you can settle your fourth. More cities = more of everything in CivII. You can reach your optimum civ size 20 turns earlier than if you didn't settle the second settler.

Expand expand expand!

After removing any AI players on ur continent, aggressivelt settle every corner of it under a monarchy. It will take awhile, but it will pay off big time in the Middle ages esp if you get Mikes Chapel and Adam Smiths trading company.

Granaries/pyramids arenot compulsory but make sure you can handle the massive growth if you do. But Temples, libraries and Marketplaces are essentials. Cities grow to the ceilings of 8 and 12 pretty quickly, and then switching to a republic or Democracy if not already can help out bigtime.

Once you start getting to Secondary improvments ( bank and university) and tertiary improvements (Stock exchange, Research lab, Manufacturing plants) and your base cities start going massive, the early expansion pays off.

You can't expand as well in Civ3 so take advantage of it while you can in Civ2. A stable democracy with 30+ contented cities and most wonders will destroy any others!

Can you spend all that time populating a continent to say 30 cities, plus the extra 30 turns or more after the last city is built before switching out of Monarchy? I try to have a settler per city just for improvements and such and after all is done they will make new cities. But, if not on Chieftain, how? I play Prince and am doing good, I tried King and decided I needed more practice... :crazyeyes I ususally don't sdo more than 8 cities on Prince, otherwise I fall behind in Tech race. Right now, I am playing one with only 3 cities, one defender each and a dozen non units as "friendly neighbor expansion control"... Production will be a prob no doubt unless I stay #1 in tech race... But if I built 30 cities before switching to Republic, I would be so far behind, no?

You should not have a settler for each city when you switch to republic, as they start eating 2 food instead of 1. Keep a few for continued improvement, but usually it's a good idea to have as much of that as possible done first.

Once you expand beyond the happiness thresholds, you need to use shields and turns to make citizens happy. That can slow down other goals, of course. Don't forget those trade routes! Caravans will keep you apace in the tech race, no matter how many cities you have.

Food is never a problem for me. When I get Republic, I max Luxuries until each city is an 8, do it to 12 when Construction is discovered, and max as far as I can when Sanitation is discovered. By this time though, I have all tiles worked completely with one settler per city, and all cities connected. If a city has even food, I will go until it is zero. That way, the city is a size 22 or whatever and it is not growing, but it is not hungry either. With cities that have odd amount of food, I will go until there is only 5 or 7 food left, and let it grow "normally"... Thus, settlers (one per city) can do railroads when it is discovered and farmland when refrigeration is discovered. At this point, food is back in excess of anywhere from 7 to 15 food per city. Then I will disband some settlers into cities for shields and keep 2 or 3 for pollution control. Of course, I only go with 8 cities max usually. (I play Prince)

Prince has been easy for me lately, I should try King again. I tried once and 25 turns into the game the French show up and say "We have decided to rid the world of your civilization." Gee thanks guys. "Sitting Bull will return." And he did with a VENGEANCE in his next Prince game! :p

Top Bottom