Starting Succession Game - Russia

A Russian army led by Ivan the Terrible prepares to conquer the English capital, London.

----------

Attachments

• screenshot #1.gif
    screenshot #1.gif
    69 KB · Views: 216
And so the Arch Duke Hobbes, ascends the throne of Russia. The armies of Russia are strong, but to defeat our hated foe Elizabeth it is decided they need to be even stronger. It is decided to provide enough troops to Ivan to earn the name "Terrible" from the English.

490 BC – Smolensk builds swordsman, better-trained troops are needed for our war effort, and so a barracks is started. Nottingham, which was captured by my illustrious predecessor, has provided a source of horses; these will be used to help defeat the hated English. Travelers report that a civilization called Babylon has produced the Oracle. Elite swordsmen are given a chance to recover, Ivan is held in reserve until the time is right. Workers, and a spearmen for protection, are sent from the area around St. Pete's to Smolensk to build the road to Nottingham.

470 BC –

450 BC – Serfs in Smolensk are persuaded to hurry barracks, St. Pete produces swordsman. Found the city of Tblisi.

430 BC – Odesa, which has switched for producing a serf to a scout, completes its task. Scout is directed to go out and collect the goodies.

410 BC – Elizabeth sends an envoy, begging for peace. We demand, the return of the holy city of Kiev (it's holy because of the wheat field on the floodplain, two iron deposits and it's location on a river), she declines. English archers make moves to try and flank Smolensk, our recovered elite swordsman will soon show them the error of their ways.

390 BC – Two English archers taste the cold iron of a swords, the last words to pass their lips was a curse at Elizabeth, for failing to send spearmen with them.

370 BC – Nottingham build horsemen, can you say "pillage". Nottingham is directed to build another scout.

350 BC – Smolensk builds another swordsman. Elizabeth is sending archers towards Smolensk, our elite swordsmen send them to the great beyond, the last words to pass their lips was a curse at Elizabeth, for failing to sufficiently fund her science budget and discover iron working (Ha Ha – Nelson from Simpson's).

330 BC – Our horseman encounters an English archer, "he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day". Our spearmen defending performs bravely, dispatching and English archer who attacked Nottingham.

310 BC – Our scout who has set off North of Odessa, encounters a barbarian, and retreats. (Note: there is an encampment up there somewhere, need to send someone to clean it out).

290 BC – We now have enough units to allow Ivan to earn his name; any army is formed of three veteran swordsmen. Our two elite swordsmen will travel along with him.

270 BC – English approach Nottingham.

250 BC – English are buried in the fields of Nottingham.

230 BC – French have discovered mathematics, we ask what they want for it: World map, 120 gold and communication with the English. Let Joan know that she really does not want to talk with the English (they are terrible cooks and snooty) and would she rather have a world map and 150 gold, she did. Trade world map to Germans for world map and 50 gold. Our army lead by Ivan has experienced its first victory, on the outskirts of Hastings. Hastings captured.

210 BC - St. Pete starts Heroic Epic.

190 BC - After hearing rumors of another English settlement, our horsemen is sent to investigate.

170 BC – Discover Coventry, attack Coventry, leave Coventry.

150 BC – Elite and veteran swordsmen are sent to assist in the attack on Coventry. Our swordsman dispatch another English archer, the last words to pass their lips was a curse at Elizabeth, for failing to give them more training before they went to battle. Scout discovers the Vandal tribe, don't know if this is a good thing, but they tell him about lawyers, this could come back to haunt us.

130 BC – Our armies approach London, two swordsmen, and horsemen attack Coventry, and are defeated.

110 BC – Our army and a veteran swordsmen attack London, two spearmen are defeated, and our swordsmen is now elite.

And now I must retire, to spend the rest of my days in my dacha in the country. Our armies are strong and our treasury is full.

Hmm, maybe we should grab England and then go for Kiev with a peace treaty. This will buy us time to settle all of the land North of England before the Frenchys do. Then when we're ready we can finish off England and take their land. Sort of use them as a "place holder" for all of that land south of us. I'm going to play tonight, so give me some suggestions before I have my go. And good job on showing them who's boss! :goodjob:

I say, take London and ask for a peace treaty and get Kiev, if not, we continue the war. A long war could lead to a deficiency in settler production. No matter what, do not let Elizabeth make contact with anyone if we can help it, we need to keep her in the dark as much as possible. If we make peace, then we use the lull in hostilities to fill the area between Moscow and Kiev with cities and roads. Once this is complete, we finish off the English, lets let Elizabeth work for Holy Mother Russia for a few turns before we spank her all the way to the great beyond. :spank:

I really don't think we'd have to sacrifice a lot of settler production to go to war with the English. We have both iron and horses while I don't think the English have anything. We could steadily pound the tea-suckin' freaks with minimal forces while we spread our empire.

BUT if we can get Kiev in a peace deal then that would work also. If they don't want to give up Kiev though we'll just have to take another city to help persuade them. We could always come back and take England later after they've built us a few cities.

Endureth

Yea, got busy last night. (Take that how you want) I'm downloading now and I'll do my best to play and post tonight.

I'm also going to install the patch tonight just so you know. I know we can take games saved under the original version to the patched version, but I'm not sure about going back. Everyobdy should probably go ahead and patch up regardless. (If you already haven't. I'm sure that I'm probably the last one. heh)

Ok, finally finished her up this morning.... I wish I had somewhere to post screenshots!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

90 BC - Russian forces capture London!! The battle goes very easily for the Russians who more or less walk right into the city. Elizabeth has asked for peace but will not give us back Kiev. She was threatened that we would destroy her completely if she did not comply, but she told us to "come back when we have a more credible threat". Oh, don't worry about that Elizabeth. We will... We will

30 BC - It is noticed by Yokozuna II that the road from Minsk to our precious iron is no more. We immediately dispatch troops to destroy the English rogue who caused this trouble and search for workers to repair the road.

10 BC - The Russians finally have a boat with which to explore the vast oceans. It is send on its way.

0 BC - The Russian calendar advisor approches the Czar: "Sir! It has finally happened! We have reached the end of time! People are panicking in the streets and no one knows what to expect next!!"

"What do you mean, 'the end of time'?"

"Well sir, when we first started our empire I proclaimed it the year 4000. We have been counting down the years ever since then and now it is finally the year 0!! It is the end of time and there is nothing we can do about it!"

"Fool!! Why would you ever devise such a calendar that had a known finite end! What did you EXPECT to happen when it ran down to 0?!?"

"Well sire, I... I... it didn't seem like this day would ever come! I never though..."

"Silence!! Guards remove this man from my sight and have him hanged! I proclaim that tomorrow will be 1 AD (After our moronic calendar advisor's death) From this day forth we will count FORWARDS in time so that such an 'end of time' will never occur again!"

That evening all of the people came to see the hanging of the moronic calendar advisor. The new calendar was put into effect, and the people rejoiced.

50 AD - The assault on the English city of York begins. The city is heavily defended and it's end will not be known in the time of the current ruler.

90 AD - Additional troops continue to be moved south towards the front. Our sages learn the secrets of Polytheism, and the Iriquois trade us the secrets of Literature for the price of 170 of our gold pieces. Construction of the heroic epic is changed to that of the Great Library so that our technology might flourish.

110 AD - 230 AD - War rages on

250 AD - A barbarian uprising is spotted near Tblisi. No less than 16 barbarian horsemen are headed towards the city!!

260 AD - Another uprising of barbarian hordes is spotted in the mountains near Odessa. This time 17 barbaric horsemen are on their way to seal the city's fate!! Yokozuna II sees his mistake, but there is nothing to be done for it. HAving focused all of his military forces towards the southern front the heart of the Russian homeland has been left exposed to the ravaging barbarians. He tries to revert troops back to defend the cities, but it is too late. There is not enough time. Only luck and the bravery of the Northern defenders can save us from disaster now.

280 - The first of the barbarians reaches Tblisi. The lone spearman defending the city somehow manages to defeat 12 or 13 of the savages before he is overcome. They loot close to 200 gold from our coffers.

Thus ends the rule of Yokozuna II

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yikes. Those barbarians came out of nowhere. I had no idea that could even happen! My successor might change some of the development in the northern cities before he ends my last turn. You might be able to get a couple of more units by playing around and maybe even rush-build some walls. I don't they'll be as bad as I at first feared, we just need to get some people in some good defensive positions. Also, I STILL have not managed to restore our iron after all of that time! It is taking forever to build the road in the mountains, but it should be done soon. We need more Swordsmen!! Good luck!

Looks pretty good so far, I don't think England has much left in her. I wouldn't worry to much about the barbarians, we have enough money to take another hit and with all the settlers you built, we should be able to build up our home force pretty quickly.

Some suggestions.. If a city isn't growing anymore and they are size 3+ you should either pump out settlers or workers just so our growth doesn't get stunted.

And you might want to put some money towards happy faces, maybe 20%?

How are we doing tech-wise?

Endureth

Ivan the Terrible is poised for his next great conquest, the English town of York.

Attachments

• screenshot #3.gif
    screenshot #3.gif
    57.4 KB · Views: 214
Ok, just finished my turn. Quite productive, if I do say so myself. Here's my 20:

290 AD: Emperor MagicBacon ascends to the throne, winning broad support with his doctrine of "Kill the Bastards," which was far more popular than his "Kill the other people." Moscow finishes a colonist company and begins the formation of another. Troops throughout the empire are engaging the English and winning. A great number of barbarians have moved near to Odessa. Sverdolsk is founded.
300 AD: Odessa's phalanx is overwhelmed, and Odessa is sacked! Many times! :eek: successive barbarian waves loot 65,62,57,51,47,43,39,35, and 32 gold pieces! The emperor publicly wonders why so much of our treasury was held in a vulnerable frontier town... On the lighter side, the City of York was captured by Ivan the Terrible and a new governer was installed. Two thousand citizen of York were enslaved and sent back to till the fields of the fertile russian empire.
310 AD: Odessa is sacked again, losing 50 gold. The emperor is rendered speechless due to the constrant stream of expletives issuing forth from his word-hole. Also, the Japanses have built a great wall for some reason or another.
320 AD: A unit of bowmen destroys and loots a barbarian encampent in revenge for Odessa, and loots 25 gold. Archer slay a Spearman in the siege of Canterbury.
330 AD: We make contact with the Americans near Dallas. They have many more cities than us, but upon trading world maps with them we discover that half of their continent is covered with ice. \
340 AD: The Iroquois established a diplomatic embassy in Moscow. An archer slays another spearman in the siege of canterbury.
350 AD: Canterbury falls! the hated english are down to three cities. We raze the city, leaving only one survivor to carry the news of their defeat to Elizabeth. The Minsk Iron Road has also been rebuilt, allowing constructin of swordsmen to continue.
360 AD: The americans found Los Angeles south of York. Ivan the Terrible is dispatched to Kiev. Vladivostok is founded.
370 AD: Novgorod Founded.
380 AD: Not much
390 AD: Krasnoyarsk founded.
400 AD: Our troops surround Warwick. We buy construction from the germans for 340 gold.
410 AD: We destroy Warwick. We sign a treaty with the foolish English, knowing full well that we will break it shortly, in return for all their gold, a city, republic and currency, and a worker. We gain a free science, Monotheism. We can now see most of the world.
420 AD: Zulu's complete Colossus
430 AD: Nuttin
440 AD: Barbarian encampment raided for 25 gold to avenge the sacking of Odessa. Ivan the terrible has encamped outside Kiev, ready to sack the city.
450 AD: IVAN THE TERRIBLE CAPTURES KIEV! The streets run red with blood as suspected English collaborators are put to the sword. The oppressed Russian populace join in, and not an Englishman is left alive. The English have one city left, Coventry, but out Army must rest in Kiev before beginning the trek there.
460 AD: Little of nore
470 AD: A barbarian encampment is raided for 25 gold.
480 AD: As the great Emperor Magicbacon II's reign draws to a close, his final act upon the earth is to officially open the Great Library in St. Petersburg. With that, the Emperor spontaneously combusts, creating a mess that will take a long time to clean up.

Great news on the library, and nice work! It sounds as though the English scum will soon be gone from the face of the earth, and that library will help us greatly with technology since we have not yet focused our efforts in the area of science. It sounds like we're still expanding fairly well too. Hopefully the Americans don't take over where the English left off in harrassing us.

I don't have a lot of time to write this so here is a quicky.

490 AD - Endureth III steps in and takes the reigns from the current leader. He immediately changes productions throughout the empire and orders certain things be completed as quickly as possible. Many citizens are put out by his heavy hand and leave our empire. This worries the king not, so he continues speeding production throughout the empire for most of his rule.

510 AD - The spearmen stationed at Odessa continue to fend off the barbarian siege. It is expected that reinforcements are a long ways off and the king prays the veteran spearmen stationed there will be strong enough to continue defending the city.

520 AD - Spearmen in Odessa are considered elite after defending Odessa from yet ANOTHER barbarian raid. The whip is cracked through out the empire to complete various, much needed construction projects.

530 AD - Word reaches Moscow of a great project code named "hanging Gardens" is being constructed by the Babylonians.

540 AD - Migration begins. Many settlers from across the globe begin arriving on what is considered Russian land. While it hasn't technically been colonized by the Russian people it is considered theirs none-the-less. The king is displeased that past kings were so free-giving with our world map but the emotion passes after he drinks a large cup of English tea. What a fine drink, he thinks.

550 AD - Ivan the Terrible reaches the outskirts of Coventry. White flags are raised throughout the city. Ivan pays them no head and begins planning his attack on the city. Elsewhere, the Russian town of Riger is founded. The people rejoice.

560 AD - Ivan the Terrible and his army occupy Coventry. Ivan laughs at the ease of the assault and the wine flows all night long. Elsewhere, the Iroquois are seen attempting to cross our territory with the intent of founding their own cities, they are immediately asked to leave and they agree to comply.

570 AD - Bored with nothing to do for the last 10 years, the king pulls out his whip and begins cracking it all over the empire. a couple people leave but in the end the king is please with how productive his people can become with a little motivation.

580 AD - Near St. Petersburg, it is witnessed, the Iroquois attempting to sneak a settler through our lands again. Our king threatens them with war and the army leaves very quickly. We must keep an eye on our Indian neighbors.

590 AD - Ivan the Terrible once again sets his armies on the move, this time towards the newly settled english town of Warwick. An early messanger is sent ahead to instill fear into the English people. Ivan was a pretty sick fellow.

600 AD - Scholars acquire knowledge of a new government type at the Great Library. Monarchy becomes available. The king considers switching to this new form of government but the thought of putting down his whip almost brings him to tears and our nation remains a despotism.

610 AD - Near Warwick, a lone unit of archers is decimated by our forces there. Ivan the Terrible leads the assault personally. The English found a city nearby and name it Newcastle. Ivan decides to take a detour on his way to Warwick to raze this newborn settlement.

620 AD - Ivan razes Newcastle to the ground and turns his army once again towards Warwick. The English people are fearful and their extinction is innevitable.

630 AD - The last of the barbarians near Krasnoyarsk are evicted and their settlement destroyed. A group of settlers is poised to found a new Russian city there.

---------------------

That's it. I took 15 turns because there is a little more going on now. We might still be able to get away with 20 though since the war is over. Maybe it's time to become a monarchy?

We are doing pretty well but there is no way we'll be able to settle everything on OUR island. To many people have our world map and they are sending settlers from across the globe to grab a peice of OUR island.

Whoever is next, finish off the English (to easy :) ). Work quick to settle what land we can before the rest of the wolves do.

I raised our happiness to 30% because 0% just wasn't cutting it. The people are much happier now and are actually being productive.

BTW, whoever is doing all the irrigating, build mines instead. We can irrigate later once we have aqueducts. We need the shields from mines right now.

Endureth

Screenie: Ivan the Terrible's march of Death

Attachments

• screenshot #5.gif
    screenshot #5.gif
    179.6 KB · Views: 144
Here is the short version of what happened. We destroyed the English, but they managed to sack one of our cities before I finished them off. I was unable to rush troops to this city because of a lack of roads, I have remedied that situation. Our workers are now very adept at building roads. I have managed to link together most of our cities and have found a number of new ones. When our road network is complete, we can send the workers back to building mines. A note, since we are a scientific society we can rush build libraries at a cost of one citizen, use this benefit to establish a quick border lock, it will work faster than temples. Americans and Iroquois have been trying to cross our borders, don’t let them. The French have also had large number of swordsmen near our borders, that is why the army is in that region. Please send a settler to form a new city along the road from St. Pete to Minsk, in the mountains, I would hate to have some other Civ control that supply line. Also, we have a large stack of money, I have been trying to upgrade the spearmen to pikemen (rotate them into cities that have barracks).Good luck.

Sorry for the delay everyone. I've had every intention of playing the last two nights, but things have been too busy and they're getting worse as the holidays near. I'm afraid you're going to have to go on without me. I don't want to hold you up or discourage you any more than I already have. Again, sorry and good luck :(

Okay, thanks for letting us know. This makes it Josiah's turn then as he's sitting on the bench. I'll give him the 48 hours to take the ball and run with it, otherwise it'll move on to magicbacon and we'll be a three player game until someone else steps in.

So Josiah, if you're out there, you're up.

Endureth

Who's up? Should we skip the order (this time only), and say who ever posts the next twenty turns first was next? :confused:

Executive decision. This weekend I am going to pull down the last save, play 20 turns and post. Hopefully someone will pick up the ball.

Top Bottom