Starvation Penalties???

Chillingworth

Chieftain
Are there any Unhappiness etc. penalties for population drop due to starvation? I am trying to build a wonder in my capital and Starvation has begun due to Unhappiness/Freeloading Entertainers. I could not find any mention of Penalties for Starvation anywhere in the manual or the Civilopedia?

AI cheats like a Professional Poker play.....the battle map that someone made doesnt prove anything....the AI is not Losing in that Scenario....if the AI is losing it cheats battles like a mother....

Originally posted by Chillingworth
Are there any Unhappiness etc. penalties for population drop due to starvation? I am trying to build a wonder in my capital and Starvation has begun due to Unhappiness/Freeloading Entertainers. I could not find any mention of Penalties for Starvation anywhere in the manual or the Civilopedia?

AI cheats like a Professional Poker play.....the battle map that someone made doesnt prove anything....the AI is not Losing in that Scenario....if the AI is losing it cheats battles like a mother....

There are no penalties for starvation except the loss of income and shields that were produced by that pop point.

The AI does not cheat.

Originally posted by eyrei
The AI does not cheat.

Probably not intentionally, but i have seen too many unexplainable things (even my mod cant fix them all, like a 1 hp rifleman forcing 5 8 hp infantry (vet) to retreat in a row. Especially since i gave infantry 13 attack, and riflemen 9 def. it was in a very important city (town after i artilleryed it) and had a resource. so maybe the AI just wanted to keep its resource?

"small probability event does happen."

ok, with bonuses the defense was about the same as the attack.

so...
with the same probablility for a hit on BOTH sides, they defeated 40 hp wihtout me hitting 1 hp.

That is like flipping a coin and getting 40 tails IN A ROW.

And that was the worst case, but not the only time a similiar event has occured.

I would say VERY VERY VERY small probability. Unless the rifleman was temporarily invincible.

Originally posted by eyrei

There are no penalties for starvation except the loss of income and shields that were produced by that pop point.

The AI does not cheat.

Much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with eyrei on this one. BY Definition, the AI cannot cheat- folks, this is a computer program and it can ONLY do what is in the code.

Of couse, the AI can have advantages that are not obvious, and therefore may appear to be "cheats". But all of these that I have seen suggested (the oceanfaring AI Galley, for example) were eventually proved out to be within the known rules.

Still, I got to admit, sometimes its hard not to think this ... especially early on in higher difficulty level games, particularily before we knew about the "free" extra units the AI got on those levels ...

Anyway, though, eyrei ... you'll never get me to agree that Corruption is Good For Us ... thats like enjoying liver over ice cream ....

CIv on, folks!

Originally posted by royfurr

Much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with eyrei on this one. BY Definition, the AI cannot cheat- folks, this is a computer program and it can ONLY do what is in the code.

Of couse, the AI can have advantages that are not obvious, and therefore may appear to be "cheats". But all of these that I have seen suggested (the oceanfaring AI Galley, for example) were eventually proved out to be within the known rules.

Still, I got to admit, sometimes its hard not to think this ... especially early on in higher difficulty level games, particularily before we knew about the "free" extra units the AI got on those levels ...

Anyway, though, eyrei ... you'll never get me to agree that Corruption is Good For Us ... thats like enjoying liver over ice cream ....

CIv on, folks!

Ahhh. But the liver is fresh while the ice cream is spoiled.:crazyeyes

Can you really say that with a straight face?

Of course. The AI does not cheat.:scan:

Originally posted by Chillingworth

AI cheats

I guess it doesn`t really cheat, but it does get bonuses not metioned by firaxis!

Take this example: I`m vastly superior to the Chinese, they don`t have a Heroic Epic. I start killing them off, and every fight I loose their unit gets promoted! Like, 6 in a row, 1 not, 5 in a row, 2 not, 11 in a row.....

I have a savegame here from one of the last such instances. Anybody wnat it, PM me or ask for it here and I`ll upload it when I`m at work (fast connection there!)

I know, it can all jst be luck...... but then the RNG is simply way too stringy and there`s still that feeling deep inside that a losing AI somehow gets a bonus... :mad:

Originally posted by simwiz2

Probably not intentionally, but i have seen too many unexplainable things (even my mod cant fix them all, like a 1 hp rifleman forcing 5 8 hp infantry (vet) to retreat in a row. Especially since i gave infantry 13 attack, and riflemen 9 def. it was in a very important city (town after i artilleryed it) and had a resource. so maybe the AI just wanted to keep its resource?
You have obviously modded the rules. Infantry don't retreat in Civ3. Could be your mod. Could be the fortification bonuses. Could be back luck. Not enough information to determine the actual odds.

Originally posted by Zachriel

You have obviously modded the rules. Infantry don't retreat in Civ3. Could be your mod. Could be the fortification bonuses. Could be back luck. Not enough information to determine the actual odds.

Well then the editor would have to be very buggy because

1) Inf dont retreat: I gave them 2 move. this has no effect on combat other than retreat.

2) Could be fort bonuses: I have tested those, they are SLIGHT increases and like i said WITH the new fort bonuses the def was about same as attack. So that should NOT cause such an illogical occurence.

If anything my mod increased the infantry's chance of winning (13 attack), and REDUCES string results with double HP's. So in a regular game such wacky "invincible units" would occur MORE OFTEN.

My mod improves combat, it doesnt break it. Only apparently the combat of civ3 is very *difficult* to fix, whether its from a bad # generator or cheats i dont know.

And the last units in a city, especially the capitals, seem to be alot stronger than the other units from what i have seen. Who knows, maybe its a built in AI "bonus" that firaxis "forgot" to tell us about.

Top Bottom