Steam internet game very slow turns?

Serp

King
Hi all :)

I always played Civilization in LAN mode, cause me and my friends were located quite near.
But now a friend moved away and therefore we have to play with Internet connection.

We noticed that the time waiting to process the turn after everyone finished their turn, increased dramatically.
It takes ~ 10-20 times longer then in LAN mode. The first few rounds do need ~10 seconds instead of 1. This is still playable. But after ~100 turns or more, it takes up to several minutes!
This is just ridiculous and we stopped playing civilization at all because of this...

Does someone knows what the problem could be?
We can play other games without problems/delays online.
Does anyone knows roughly what amount of data is sent when hitting "next turn" ?
I only have a relative small internet connection of 6mbit/s. Could that be the reason?

The long waiting time is always after everyone hit next turn, but BEFORE the turns of AI is made.
So while/after the automate movements of humans units...

It does not happen every round, but in 50-80% of the cases...
Next time I will try, if it helps when no units movement is automated, but I doubt it is that easy to solve...

I have a theory on how to make quick turn compatible with MP, but it's just a theory. I can't seem to work this out,.. yet. Here it goes, Disable the diplomacy overview for quick turn and fix the user setting to a standard version, Removing the ability to edit it in-game, thus shorten the AI waiting turn by a few folds. Secondly, using a civ version of lua51. That's all.

thanks, but if I get it right, the mod only enables "quick turn" and "quick combat" for AI while still showing player relevant movements.
So I should get the same/even better result for processing time, if those quick options are enabled by default, which is the case in my MP games.

thanks, but if I get it right, the mod only enables "quick turn" and "quick combat" for AI while still showing player relevant movements.
So I should get the same/even better result for processing time, if those quick options are enabled by default, which is the case in my MP games.
So true. Oh, I stumble upon a guy from Amsterdam and we had a blast playing your modpack and also (NQ alpha 12.0 mod, don't ever try multiplayer yet!!), no slow turns surprisingly and trade interface for the human players(with small screen) is a pain in the ass. On turn 103, CTD. My theory was the computer and internet connection is key to the problem. Have a nice day, @Serp

So true. Oh, I stumble upon a guy from Amsterdam and we had a blast playing your modpack and also (NQ alpha 12.0 mod, don't ever try multiplayer yet!!), no slow turns surprisingly and trade interface for the human players(with small screen) is a pain in the ass. On turn 103, CTD. My theory was the computer and internet connection is key to the problem. Have a nice day, @Serp
thank you very much for testing. So I guess my modpack is not to blame for the delay.

did something special happend during CTD? (should any mod spawn a new unit?)
The CTD I fixed in modpack v19b happend when a razing city was captured by enemy (which triggered the Populations mod to spawn a new population unit at the city plot, while the city was now owned by the enemy and had an enemy unit on it, which caused the crash). So a known CTD reason is to have 2 units of different players at the same plot, which can happen when a mod spawns a new unit.

edit:
do you have a savegame shortly before the CTD ? If I can reproduce it, I might find the cause.

We played Civ5 recentyl without any mods, but the delay was still there. So it is indeed the internet connection/Steam to blame =/
In fact it was not "ithout any mods" it was just without any modpack. I still had EUI 1.28e installed, while the other players did not. EUI should not affect gameplay, but obviously it does. Without EUI everything is fine.

Top Bottom