Steam issue

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by FeelGood, Sep 25, 2010.

1. FeelGood

FeelGood Emphatic Diplomat

I've been trying to play civ 5 demo since Wednesday but to no avail. First, I believe due to my outdated laptop (3 years). I downloaded civ5 demo for 3.8GB in a hotel and could connect to steam network.

Now that I try to use my new PC at home (bought about 6 months ago), I still can't play. After installing steam, I can't connect to steam. After tinkering with my router, I believe I can connect to steam network now since after launching, it is trying to update steam. Alas the update stuck at 6% for almost 1 hour now.

I have win 7, geforce 275gtx and core i7 920. Hmmm... so dissapointed :cry::cry:!!!

2. Codeman

Codeman King

i don't think steam is really a problem, just a bottleneck right now. i am having lag issues with steam since yesterday. all apps on my pc are running fine and all other sites are fine. but stuff from steam is really slow. i installed the game last night but it was too late to play. when i get home from work today i'll load up the game and be unreachable for weeks. :)

3. FeelGood

I could be... is steam not ready for the increase in traffic? They should know that this scenario will happen. Do they just do nothing...! I'll just keep trying now... I wish I could bypass the stupid steam!!!

4. slowjames

slowjames Chieftain

Odds are it's something local to your setup, your neighborhood, or your ISP. Steam works just fine for me right now and I'd bet most people in the forum are doing OK as well. Have you tried going to Steam's support forums? Connecting to one of your friends' internet connections, or your work connection, and downloading there? Have you tried downloading the game to your account on someone else's computer? Try to isolate the cause of failure by testing different variables.

5. brento1138

brento1138 O' Mighty CivII Warrior

Now I definitely don't condone getting illegal torrents, but it appears there is a crack out if you wish to do it that way. I'm currently downloading the "legal" paid & bought for version, but admit completely to having installed the "not-so-legal-version" whilst waiting. The download from Steam is only going at 300 kb/s, far too slow (I live in Korea, we usually get speeds of around 2 megs per second or more...)

I've already uninstalled my "not-so-legal-version" which I enjoyed a single game on... I say if you're waiting, and cannot wait any longer, just enjoy... cuz hey, you'll pay for the game in the end, so it's all good I figure.

6. FeelGood

Well, I'm thinking of doing that but my internet is really crawling right now! Still no luck... I hate steam! What else do we need to do to be able to connect to steam?

7. FeelGood

If I get the retail version, could I just bypass the steam and play the game. I never care about the MP anyway.

When I check using portforward tool, it says my port is open but cannot ping my server. Is this may be the culprit?

8. lynxxyarly

lynxxyarly Warlord

Or it could be the server you are connecting to for content is overloaded (it happens) you could go into the steam options and go to settings---downloads+cloud and then from there change your content server to the next closest content server (or THE closest, sometimes you aren't connected to your closest content server whenever you sign up due to the servers already being overloaded).

9. Rebel44

Rebel44 Warlord

Retail version is also ties to Steam.

If you cant even ping your server problem isnt Steam but something in your local setup.

If its not much of a problem I would backup any data you have on PC, reformat it and do clean install of Windows - after that install Steam - if it stil have problems connecting, call your ISP to make sure they are not doing something stupid with your connection and if not try to use different router.

10. FeelGood

I can ping my router but portforward.com can't ping my router. Reformatting is the last resort for me. I'll try at different location then.

11. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: Moved to tech support.

Please report what happens, if you are able to download or not.

12. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Sometimes Steam gets confused and stuck on some updates. Theres some data file you can delete that it will replace next time you run it and begin all updates from the start, but they'll work this time. Can anyone remember what it is?

13. FeelGood

Some updates. I tried using my friend router (aztech DSL605EW) succesfully using my laptop using wireless connection. All variables are the same (the same laptop, KIS2011, same ISP, same area etc). Looks like my router is causing the problem.

Checking portforwarding in his router shows that all required ports are NOT OPEN but still I could connect to the internet and steam network.

Anything I could do as workaround apart from replacing router?

14. slowjames

slowjames Chieftain

Yeah, look up how to do port forwarding properly on your router. Search "my router model number"+steam on Google. Check your UPnP settings on the router. Is it enabled? If no, that alone might solve your problem. At worst, offer some tech savvy friend a dinner treat if they'll come over and fix it for you.

15. FeelGood

Yeah, looks like there will be no civ 5 for me. That stupid steam still cannot find a way to access the net while firefox allows me to post in this forum. I don't want to format my pc for now. Just hope, the steam support could help me. Maybe they are also busy with other people problem.

I used the same laptop and my friend's router at my home but to no avail. Maybe, it's my connection or ISP.

16. FeelGood

update: I finally able to update steam in safe mode. Deleting the .blob doesn't work. Now, I am able to access steam in normal mode. Alas, I still fail to play civ 5 due to crash to desktop just after launching even after disabling intro video. Both directx failed too.

Any other way to play? Is it worth if I buy the game now that steam is ok? I'm in doubt since the demo doesn't work for me.

I updated my Directx, vc++, video drivers and have done some fixes ( verify game cache, move my doc to easier place, created new account, skip intro, scan sfc) from here but still fail... I thought with win7, geforce 275gtx and i7 920, I should have no problem. Sigh...!