Steam - love or hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably a moot point, but I'm not a Steam "fanboi". I could care less if you hate it, what's the point? Why would I give a crap what someone else thinks about some piece of software with which I have no affiliation? I'm simply an opponent of ignorance and misinformation.

Anthropoid, does your job with Direct2Drive pay by the hour or is it a salaried position?
Moderator Action: Trolling is not allowed in these forums.

Exactly .. Whats the age of these posters?? Pre Skool

I would agree it would be ethically _questionable_ for Valve, 2K or Firaxis to have users here with accounts participating without being identifiable as being employees. But I doubt it is illegal, and I don't see it is being absolutely black-and-white unethical. It is shady but not grossly wrong.

Moreover, as the literature I provided citations and quotations for shows, the need for firms to be involved in online social media to protect their PR is obvious at this time. Given their obvious concern for risk mitigation in that Steam is primarily a piracy-prevention platform, it would thus, make sense to me that some of what we read online advocating Steam is not strictly a neutral perspective.

I had an offer from a firm called MQM once; pretty sure they've been merged into a bigger firm by now. Online interactive media agency. As I was being given the tour during interview, we passed by a room full of 20-something folks at terminals, eating junk food, and browsing the internet. Looked like a campus computer lab. These were a mixture of interns and entry level employees whose job title was "surfer." Their task: to surf to sites that fit a particular theme that MQM deemed important for some reason, and collect information, and also to participate to that end. In this case, they were not acting as PR operatives since MQM was not a retailer and did not have need of PR damage control. But a mandate for those folks to participate in themed-fashion would be one small step further.

Am I suggesting that all you Steam fanboys Moderator Action: Such derogative labels are not allowed in this forum. are actually Valve employees? No. But it is possible that some of you are, and therefore what we read should be taken with some degree of skepticism and critical thinking.

What is "silly" is to be dismissive and sophomoric.

Anthropoid, does your job with Direct2Drive pay by the hour or is it a salaried position?

I am not an employee of Direct2Drive or any other online retailer, computer game publisher/producer/developer, and I have no connections to the computer-gaming or software industry.

There's "some degree of skepticism and critical thinking" and then there's "being paranoid and using that paranoia to reject opinions I disagree with."

Also, if you want to criticize people for being dismissive and sophmoric, you probably shouldn't do it in the same breath as calling people "Steam fanboys."

I am not an employee of Direct2Drive or any other online retailer, computer game publisher/producer/developer, and I have no connections to the computer-gaming or software industry.

Well, sure, that's what you would say. I mean, it's not like you're going to admit to it.

There's "some degree of skepticism and critical thinking" and then there's "being paranoid and using that paranoia to reject opinions I disagree with."

Also, if you want to criticize people for being dismissive and sophmoric, you probably shouldn't do it in the same breath as calling people "Steam fanboys."

Sorry, didn't mean that term "Steam fanboys" to be a derogation.

Steam advocates.

Well, sure, that's what you would say. I mean, it's not like you're going to admit to it.

Alright, we get it. He gets it.

He is no more an employee of one of Steam's competition any more than the person from the completely random link I posted.

Let's just move on, please. There are people who like it and people who don't. If the people that don't like it want to boycott any game that requires Steam, it's their right, just like it's our right to use it and enjoy it.

The flaming and not-so-subtle innuendos simply need to stop. If people can't have a discussion about the pros and cons of a service without remaining civil, then maybe the mods should just close the thread.

I can understand everyone who dislikes steam, but give it a chance and think about the advantages!

If not, I would use it in offline mode and end steam after you have started Civ, so no extra ressources are getting wasted.

Steam would really be awesome if you could decouple the games, though.:lol:

I like steam. My neighbors place had a fire, all my computer cd's were ruined since my apt was below his. I could still go back and play my old games with steam. I would not classify myself as a fanboy, or what not. I just see it as a utility for game management. I do work in IT Security, and I am 36. I can see where some may be wary due to privacy issues. But it is not spyway or malware. If you don't want to use it, then don't.

Pretty sure with Steam they'd have more sales. Steam caters to the impulse buyers that fill the pockets of corporations (not necessarily a bad thing).

Personally I like Steam and I wonder if it has something to do with me being 21 years old and willing to accept new things.

So basically, IMO (key words here being IMO), this entire thread, and all other Steam threads, all boil down to those who like change and those who dislike change (with an added hint that those who dislike change are older).

*edit*

QFT

So, according to your theory, since i've been around when Moby Dick was a minnow, i'm unwilling to accept change? Hmnn, interesting.

Here (psst, young man? your prejudice is showing, you may want to zip that up):

http://seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Money/5-03-11OlderWorkers.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-03-17-postal-service-use-changes_N.htm

So, according to your theory, since i've been around when Moby Dick was a minnow, i'm unwilling to accept change? Hmnn, interesting.

Here (psst, young man? your prejudice is showing, you may want to zip that up):

http://seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Money/5-03-11OlderWorkers.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-03-17-postal-service-use-changes_N.htm

How do I know that those weren't written by old people that simply can't find a job??

Sorry, how could I resist that? :D

How do I know that those weren't written by old people that simply can't find a job??

Sorry, how could I resist that? :D

:mischief: Lol, there's also a couple of real good ones of us "old farts" still sexually active well into our 80's. But I didn't want to embarrass the poor youngling all the way down to his Converse.

Pretty sure with Steam they'd have more sales. Steam caters to the impulse buyers that fill the pockets of corporations (not necessarily a bad thing).

Personally I like Steam and I wonder if it has something to do with me being 21 years old and willing to accept new things.

So basically, IMO (key words here being IMO), this entire thread, and all other Steam threads, all boil down to those who like change and those who dislike change (with an added hint that those who dislike change are older).

Well the issue I personally see with this is a problem i tend to see alot in this conversation. People confuse steam the Digital distribution platform with steam the DRM. . He seems to assume that everyone who dislikes steam doesn't like digital distribution.. which simply isnt true. TBH alot of people who use other digital distribution services do so because they don't like the particular model of steam. For instance.. me :lol:

Well the issue I personally see with this is a problem i tend to see alot in this conversation. People confuse steam the Digital distribution platform with steam the DRM. . He seems to assume that everyone who dislikes steam doesn't like digital distribution.. which simply isnt true. TBH alot of people who use other digital distribution services do so because they don't like the particular model of steam. For instance.. me :lol:

Agreed. But it also doesn't help matters that he also assumes that older people are unwilling to accept change, which seemed to be his main thesis.

QFE.

I'm in my 40s. I admit, I love digital download products and buy a lot of them (Gamersgate, Matrix Games, Good Old Games, Ageod, Paradox).

But I don't like Steam.

I admit though, I do worry that one day Gamersgate will go belly up & I'll be SOL on the 10 or 12 games I own from there and unable to install them on a new machine. I suppose there are ways I could figure out to burn them from one HD to another, but I'd think there would be problems with that . . . If possible I always prefer to get both a digital copy and a hard copy and find that serial keys are fine.

My understanding is that there simply is not such a thing as a perfect anti-piracy measure and that Steam is already cracked for Civ5 if someone wants to be a pirate.

Perhaps a digital copy presents some additional barriers than a serial key activation system? But once security is cracked by one brilliant criminal, I would think that that opens the door to large segments of the criminally inclined, irrespective of how much more tough the initial protection was?

Given that, it seems to me that the simplest 'solution,' and the one that would offer the most satisfaction to all camps (the Steam Advocates, the Steam Haters, and the Skeptical-Steam Boycotters like myelf) would be one in which Steam was _one_ option for customers, and not the _only_ option. The fact that this could not/would not work reveals the true motives and agenda behind the rise of Steam as a feature of the computer-gaming market: market share. Valve wants to carve out and have exclusivity with their niche, and this simple explanation goes a long way toward explaining many of the incongruities between observed lack of customer support, and touted 'improved' convenience for users.

Companies that lie to us, both implicitly and explicitly, and on top of that, make claims that are questionable (e.g., Steam being 'better' anti-piracy; steam reducing shirnkage from piracy; Steam 'working' offline no problemo) do not IMO deserve our favor, our money, or our patronage.

Until I see clear evidence to the contrary I will not patronize Steam nor any publisher who chooses to make Steam cumpulsory.

QFE.

I'm in my 40s. I admit, I love digital download products and buy a lot of them (Gamersgate, Matrix Games, Good Old Games, Ageod, Paradox).

But I don't like Steam.

I admit though, I do worry that one day Gamersgate will go belly up & I'll be SOL on the 10 or 12 games I own from there and unable to install them on a new machine. I suppose there are ways I could figure out to burn them from one HD to another, but I'd think there would be problems with that . . . If possible I always prefer to get both a digital copy and a hard copy and find that serial keys are fine.

My understanding is that there simply is not such a thing as a perfect anti-piracy measure and that Steam is already cracked for Civ5 if someone wants to be a pirate.

Perhaps a digital copy presents some additional barriers than a serial key activation system? But once security is cracked by one brilliant criminal, I would think that that opens the door to large segments of the criminally inclined, irrespective of how much more tough the initial protection was?

Given that, it seems to me that the simplest 'solution,' and the one that would offer the most satisfaction to all camps (the Steam Advocates, the Steam Haters, and the Skeptical-Steam Boycotters like myelf) would be one in which Steam was _one_ option for customers, and not the _only_ option. The fact that this could not/would not work reveals the true motives and agenda behind the rise of Steam as a feature of the computer-gaming market: market share. Valve wants to carve out and have exclusivity with their niche, and this simple explanation goes a long way toward explaining many of the incongruities between observed lack of customer support, and touted 'improved' convenience for users.

Companies that lie to us, both implicitly and explicitly, and on top of that, make claims that are questionable (e.g., Steam being 'better' anti-piracy; steam reducing shirnkage from piracy; Steam 'working' offline no problemo) do not IMO deserve our favor, our money, or our patronage.

Until I see clear evidence to the contrary I will not patronize Steam nor any publisher who chooses to make Steam cumpulsory.

Therein lies the heart of the problem, yes? Those of us who want to purchase V and play it, must BE willing to accept a caveat. You have to have Steam in order to play it. There is no differation what so ever to the consumer, it is merely accept this or "bleep" off ( which is essentially what it boils down too).
Personally, I am not impressed with the latest incarnation of Civ. Will I be in the future? Maybe. That would depend on a few factors.

...it seems to me that the simplest 'solution,' and the one that would offer the most satisfaction to all camps (the Steam Advocates, the Steam Haters, and the Skeptical-Steam Boycotters like myelf) would be one in which Steam was _one_ option for customers, and not the _only_ option.

From what i gather on the net, this wont happen, because Valves contract is 'steam exclusive' or no steam at all.

IMO, this seems to be true. As has been said over and over, companies just want money, so why would a publisher not have a steam-less version, along with a steam version that includes all the 'benefits' of steam? Let the sales show you the value of steam.

This would surely increase sales, no? Giving the buyer a choice?

Steam 'working' offline no problemo)
This is my biggest issue with steam tbh. Like it or not steam was never designed to work without an internet connection. Offline mode was shoved in afterwards and doesn't always work as intended.

If steam simply activated the game.. and I NEVER had to worry about it again then I would have no issues with it. But because it Does have to start up with the game and it does check your account credentials every time steam has a tendency of accidentally corrupting files. Any time steam does this.. you have to reconnect to steam. I realized this early on... and stay away from steam when i can. A friend of mine who doesn't have internet connection found out the hard way when 2x in 2 weeks steam corrupted his files and he couldn't play Civ V in offline mode. Impulse, D2D, GOG, etc don't have this same issue. Which is why i happily use them over steam. To those of us who do not take internet connection for granted (here is where older people may differ from younger people) such restrictions and issues just aren't acceptable.

I just wish people would understand that some of us have viable concerns with steams system rather than attempt to label us with things like "steam hater" or "old timer who is resistant to change". I pretty much refuse to buy most steam required games.. and made the exception with civ V.. although i'm rather annoyed that I did so because I feel it sends the wrong message to 2k/firaxis in that its okay to require it.

This is my biggest issue with steam tbh. Like it or not steam was never designed to work without an internet connection. Offline mode was shoved in afterwards and doesn't always work as intended.

If steam simply activated the game.. and I NEVER had to worry about it again then I would have no issues with it. But because it Does have to start up with the game and it does check your account credentials every time steam has a tendency of accidentally corrupting files. Any time steam does this.. you have to reconnect to steam. I realized this early on... and stay away from steam when i can. A friend of mine who doesn't have internet connection found out the hard way when 2x in 2 weeks steam corrupted his files and he couldn't play Civ V in offline mode. Impulse, D2D, GOG, etc don't have this same issue. Which is why i happily use them over steam. To those of us who do not take internet connection for granted (here is where older people may differ from younger people) such restrictions and issues just aren't acceptable.

I just wish people would understand that some of us have viable concerns with steams system rather than attempt to label us with things like "steam hater" or "old timer who is resistant to change". I pretty much refuse to buy most steam required games.. and made the exception with civ V.. although i'm rather annoyed that I did so because I feel it sends the wrong message to 2k/firaxis in that its okay to require it.

I am perfectly sane (friends and family may say otherwise, but they earned that right) AND I use Steam.

You are perfectly sane AND you don't use Steam.

I appreciate these types of posts that are civil and flame-neutral. The ones that I take issue with are the ones with posters giving me the finger with one hand, just for using Steam, and holding alien implants in the other hand. It's not that I don't believe in alien life, it's just that I don't believe that they have any interest in you. :)

Now... as for your friend... I am not saying that I do not believe you or him, but it is highly unlikely that Steam corrupted his installation. But regardless of that, his files became corrupted in some fashion, and that is unfortunate.

Just so you are aware, there is a way to copy/archive downloaded files for games that you retrieve from Steam so you can fix these issues without an internet connection and in offline mode. If you are away from an internet connection for lengths of time, I would highly recommend using this feature for exactly this reason. Right click on the game, select Properties. From the Local Files tab, Backup Game Files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom