Steam Q&A and FAQ

Rain away, they have a ping test with twitch test as well. All this detail can be sent to Facebook, etc..I think that you could incorporate this testing to become a league member. Many more people would join. I would also ask for a screenshot of the PC performance log while in game to determine overall capability. It would be ideal if steam had a staging area to test for bandwidth, ping, twitch, and pc performance. This grade should follow you like a yahoo games rating.

What we need is a Civ4 style ping display in the staging room of Civ5, and if Firaxis ever enables MP mods, the league will shortly code a league mod that will do that among many other features that are missing in MP. But what Firaxis needs to do is fix MP's p2p code because that can not be done in a mod, it is core code that can only be changed by Firaxis.

And we could provide a ping test on our web site, but that is of limited usefulness, just because a player has low or high ping to a server in Dallas TX, has no relevance to whether he has low or high ping to a player for someplace else on the planet.

CS

Hey everyone um can someone tell me how to download mods off the actual civ game because everytime i try to download something it comes up at the bottom saying "error(mouseover for details) so i do that and no details come up and i can't download anything please help

Hey everyone um can someone tell me how to download mods off the actual civ game because everytime i try to download something it comes up at the bottom saying "error(mouseover for details) so i do that and no details come up and i can't download anything please help

Look in the Civ5 Tech Support subforum as I have no idea and its not a Steam issue.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=409

around 1 month ago, I have successfully installed Civ V with steam on my laptop (and it took almost 1 day with my home internet connection :cry:). So, it means the firewall has been set correctly for steam. I run the game, and it was running perfectly. The steam was set to set up every time the windows starts. However, the steam is always failed to recognized the internet connections other than my home internet connection :confused: (such as in office or WiFi in public places), while browsers has no problem with any internet connection. Anyone knows what the problems are ?

hello Shane or PrinceScamp or anyone else that might be able to help me:

ciV does not play well with my SB live24 and makes the speakers BUZZZ at startup.

So in config I changed:

; Set to 1 to disable Audio system
Audio = 0

TO

Audio = 1

--------------

ok -- takes care of the audio problem, however that change also somehow disables my ability to use unit promotions in game!!??

what i mean is, when a unit promotion pops-up and I then click one of the promotions nothing happens: the pop-up remains and no promotion registers with the unit.

Can someone try to replicate this on their puter? I am confused about how turning off in game audio could result in promotions being f'ed !!!???

hello Shane or PrinceScamp or anyone else that might be able to help me:

ciV does not play well with my SB live24 and makes the speakers BUZZZ at startup.

So in config I changed:

Audio = 0

TO

Audio = 1

--------------

ok -- takes care of the audio problem, however that change also somehow disables my ability to use unit promotions in game!!??

what i mean is, when a unit promotion pops-up and I then click one of the promotions nothing happens: the pop-up remains and no promotion registers with the unit.

Can someone try to replicate this on their puter? I am confused about how turning off in game audio could result in promotions being f'ed !!!???
Hey, this thread in the Civ5 tech support subforum here might help;
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=408920

PrinceScamp, could you explain a couple things?

I've heard some guys claim that Valve has stated they have "fail safe" methods to make all Steam distributed games run without need to network to Steam, for in the event of Valve going out of business or something catastrophic like that. Is that true?

Assuming that is true; I've been told things like "because Civ5 was built with Steamworks, it cannot be made to work without Steam."

Now assuming both of those statements are true, it seems to me that there is an intrinsic contradiction there. Could you clarify and explain. I'm very hesitant about being involved in Steam (as it seems are a lot of us) without understanding these points.

I've heard some guys claim that Valve has stated they have "fail safe" methods to make all Steam distributed games run without need to network to Steam, for in the event of Valve going out of business or something catastrophic like that. Is that true?
It was mentioned in an interview with Valve where they said they had tested it and it worked, but whether or not it actually will happen is unkown. Probably depends upon how Valve goes out of buisness, but I don't see happening anytime soon.

Assuming that is true; I've been told things like "because Civ5 was built with Steamworks, it cannot be made to work without Steam."

Now assuming both of those statements are true, it seems to me that there is an intrinsic contradiction there. Could you clarify and explain. I'm very hesitant about being involved in Steam (as it seems are a lot of us) without understanding these points.[/
From what the brief sentence in that interview said, it seems that the requirement to connect to Steam's servers will be severed, but Steamworks/Steam itself will not be removed from the games (which would be impossible for Valve to do).

QUOTE]
It was mentioned in an interview with Valve where they said they had tested it and it worked, but whether or not it actually will happen is unkown. Probably depends upon how Valve goes out of buisness, but I don't see happening anytime soon.

From what the brief sentence in that interview said, it seems that the requirement to connect to Steam's servers will be severed, but Steamworks/Steam itself will not be removed from the games (which would be impossible for Valve to do).

So Valve mentioned in an interview that they had tested the function to "sever" the requirement to connect to Steam servers, as a contingency to needing to do so to insure users can continue to make use of their end user licenses? But at the same time, my understanding is that there is a clause in the EULA that states "they can terminate services whenever they want to?"

it seems that the requirement to connect to Steam's servers will be severed, but Steamworks/Steam itself will not be removed from the games (which would be impossible for Valve to do).[/

Okay, I think I get that bolded part. That makes sense. The code is integrated into the game. It couldn't be removed or made defunct by Valve short of networking to every single copy of the game out there, and reinstalling a patched-without-Steamworks version . . . but wait a minute? Isn't that more-or-less what Steam does every time it provides the auto-update patching function to publishers/users?

Moreover, if the "requirement to connect to Steams servers" could be summarily "severed" then how is it that it is "impossible" for a Steamworks game to work without Steam?

So Valve mentioned in an interview that they had tested the function to "sever" the requirement to connect to Steam servers, as a contingency to needing to do so to insure users can continue to make use of their end user licenses?
Yes, but is no info on how that affects the EULAs of if they would need to be changed or what.

But at the same time, my understanding is that there is a clause in the EULA that states "they can terminate services whenever they want to?"
That is referring to them being able to terminate any service or feature of Steam or their games whenever they want to (ie if maybe they introduced a feature, then decided it doesn't work and was a very bad, bad idea and they remove it) or if they decide to to shut down. It seems like fairly standard EULA stuff to me.

Okay, I think I get that bolded part. That makes sense. The code is integrated into the game. It couldn't be removed or made defunct by Valve short of networking to every single copy of the game out there, and reinstalling a patched-without-Steamworks version . . . but wait a minute? Isn't that more-or-less what Steam does every time it provides the auto-update patching function to publishers/users? Moreover, if the "requirement to connect to Steams servers" could be summarily "severed" then how is it that it is "impossible" for a Steamworks game to work without Steam?
If the game is integrated with Steamworks like Civ5, only Firaxis would be able to completely remove Steamworks out of the game. Not only would Valve probably not bother (it would take a lot of time and if they are shutting down they don't have time or money) it would be illegal for them to go into another company's game and start removing parts of. Steamworks isn't like a Firefox plug-in, its hard coded into the game.

There is also no information on what exactly Valve did to sever that connection and what it affects. It could just be cutting the connection loose (and in this case there would be NO multiplayer for Civ5 anymore if it involves any use of the servers). Not only that but Firaxis isn't going to develop a "no Steam" patch for their game (if they even can).

So in other words, Steamworks games only working with Steam is essentially at Steam/Valve's discretion. That is what I'm gathering from this? They can, if they choose, turn off the need for Steam connection for a game to operate on users' rigs?

So assuming that is the case, this leads to my next question: What is Valve's official policy about why they require a singleplayer game like Civ5 to maintain a Steam account?

The fine print on the Amazon page for Civ 5 says "one-time internet connection for Steam authentication." But it sounds like, by default (meaning if you don't change settings in the game/Steam account) every time you try to play Civ 5, the Steam Client app will try to login to Steam and update the game, right? How does that constitute "one-time internet connection?"

Other Requirements
Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries and Microsoft DirectX.

Lets say I buy Civ5 off Amazon. Install it. It prompts me to connect to the internet and register a Steam account to authenticate the game, so I do. So I get my legal copy of the game running and start playing.

Can I then uninstall the Steam Client app and never have to login to Steam again, and play Civ5 just fine? If not, then "one-time internet connection" seems to me to be misleading.

So in other words, Steamworks games only working with Steam is essentially at Steam/Valve's discretion. That is what I'm gathering from this? They can, if they choose, turn off the need for Steam connection for a game to operate on users' rigs?

So assuming that is the case, this leads to my next question: What is Valve's official policy about why they require a singleplayer game like Civ5 to maintain a Steam account?

The fine print on the Amazon page for Civ 5 says "one-time internet connection for Steam authentication." But it sounds like, by default (meaning if you don't change settings in the game/Steam account) every time you try to play Civ 5, the Steam Client app will try to login to Steam and update the game, right? How does that constitute "one-time internet connection?"

Lets say I buy Civ5 off Amazon. Install it. It prompts me to connect to the internet and register a Steam account to authenticate the game, so I do. So I get my legal copy of the game running and start playing.

Can I then uninstall the Steam Client app and never have to login to Steam again, and play Civ5 just fine? If not, then "one-time internet connection" seems to me to be misleading.

The fail-safe key you describe will essentially be a patch that will remove all Steamworks functionality from the games. It is not as simple as flipping a switch. For games that only use Steam for activation, this will make them pretty much DRM-free (or Steam DRM free) but for those that use Steamworks extensively, it will likely leave them crippled.

If we suspect that Steam has improperly installed an update, how can we revert and reinstall?

If we suspect that Steam has improperly installed an update, how can we revert and reinstall?

You can reinstall the game by right clicking on it in Steam and selecting "Delete Local Content" and then you can reinstall it.

Yes and no.

No idea, you'll have to ask them.

[/quote]The fine print on the Amazon page for Civ 5 says "one-time internet connection for Steam authentication." But it sounds like, by default (meaning if you don't change settings in the game/Steam account) every time you try to play Civ 5, the Steam Client app will try to login to Steam and update the game, right? How does that constitute "one-time internet connection?"[/QUOTE]
Its referring to that you should be able to log in without an internet connection every time after installation. This usually works for most people, though as you have seen a handful of people here have had issues with it.

No.

Its referring to that you should be able to log in without an internet connection every time after installation. This usually works for most people, though as you have seen a handful of people here have had issues with it.

Well what segment of users does it not work for? How does it not work? Is it a particular problem on certain platforms, OS or other hardware? Or is it in fact that the default settings in Steam attempt to maintain a regular internet connection, and so what one has to do to actually make it "one-time" is change the default settings in Steam? If it is not possible to effectively turn Steam OFF forever, and NEVER have to use it again, how exactly is it legitimate to be referring to it as "one-time internet connection" in the fine-print on Amazon? If I turn it off, is it then going to want to turn back on in a week? Two weeks? Ten game activations later?

Given the Steam EULA, if I buy the thing, and it impedes me by not facilitating a one-time internet connection, do I have any recourse? My guess based on my memory of the Steam EULA is I'm just out of luck?

It seems to me that this is misleading. I have no interest in particiting in Steam if they feel the need to mislead me in order to get me on their site, not to mention paying for a game that I could lose if they decide to terminate my subscription.

Top Bottom