Steam Q&A and FAQ

Firaxis would provide the patch notes to Aspyr but it is Aspyr that has to make the patch to catch up to the PC version and with the pending AI/Diplomacy patch just a week away at most, I'd assume that Aspyr is going to jump right to that patch and not bother with a 621 compatible one.

CS

This is entirely off-topic, but maybe someone can re-direct. I am a big fan of Civ III Conquests, have never upgraded, and have now literally worn out my CD of Civ III Conquests. I've searched the internet for a replacement disk or a contact to the company, to request a replacement disk.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Well there isn't a CEO of Steam (afaik), but you can contact the CEO of VALVe (the makers of Steam) by this e-mail:
gaben
@
valvesoftware
.com

IF you get a reply, please do screenshot both e-mails and post them back here :)

I've noticed that the "volunteer steam moderator" has not replied to any E-mail since Oct 6/10. I guess he unvolunteered.

I was hoping that such a connected individual would be able to supply me with a phone # for a CEO of Steam/Valve; Not so far.

You would think the CEOs of these companies would be more than happy to talk to 'satisfied customers'?
An E-mail is too easily ignored, even when I send a request of verifiication that someone opened the E-mail, I don't even get that...I can only assume that the e-mails are not even read.

Moderator Action: "When you assume you make an ass of u and me."[/mod]

@ Princescamp--Are you the new "volunteer Steam Moderator"? I appreciate your suggestions and your obviously genuine desire to help people see past all the faults and perceived faults of Steam and thier fantastic customer service.(You must be a share holder?) However, I have a real hard time understanding why such an upstanding company(in your opinion) would not have a way to contact, by voice, any of there company representatives??

Don't they want to hear from there satisfied customers?? Maybe not. I know from listening to some of the pro-steam people on this site,(Princescamp excluded) that it does get sickening after a while to hear such praise all the time, but, as a CEO that is one of the jobs.

Any way, I am willing to spend the money on a long distance call...if I could only get a phone # for one of these fine gentlemen.

Moderator Action: Your personal comments towards other posters are not relevant and not needed. Your inability to locate contact information about a company is a personal problem and not one for you to try and dump on others. Trollish behavior is not wanted here.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

This is entirely off-topic, but maybe someone can re-direct. I am a big fan of Civ III Conquests, have never upgraded, and have now literally worn out my CD of Civ III Conquests. I've searched the internet for a replacement disk or a contact to the company, to request a replacement disk.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Try GamersGate, Impulse or Amazaon.

I've noticed that the "volunteer steam moderator" has not replied to any E-mail since Oct 6/10. I guess he unvolunteered.
I'm a little concerned about how you know he hasn't checked his e-mail... since you shouldn't have access to that.

I have no idea why .Shane. hasn't replied, maybe he's busy, you'll have to ask him.

I was hoping that such a connected individual would be able to supply me with a phone # for a CEO of Steam/Valve; Not so far.
Taken from GiantBomb you can try this number: 425-889-9642

You would think the CEOs of these companies would be more than happy to talk to 'satisfied customers'?
Not really, I sure as hell would have better things to do than talk to customers all day long as a CEO. It also isn't the CEO's job to deal with customers.

An E-mail is too easily ignored, even when I send a request of verifiication that someone opened the E-mail, I don't even get that...I can only assume that the e-mails are not even read.
*shrugs* That is how Valve have it set up, deal with it or write them a letter (they DO respond to letters, and sometimes with gifts. Again it takes time, I don't think they have much of a customer support department and they usually take longer then they say they will to do things).

Would it be nice if they had a bigger and better support division? Sure.

@ Princescamp--Are you the new "volunteer Steam Moderator"?
I appreciate your suggestions and your obviously genuine desire to help people see past all the faults and perceived faults of Steam and thier fantastic customer service.(You must be a share holder?)
No, and I object to the accusation I am a shareholder (Valve doesn't trade shares/stocks anyways) or that because I like Steam and am trying to help people solve their problems that therefore I must be getting paid off by Valve in some way. I have no connections to Valve beyond being a customer. .Shane. wasn't responding so I tried to help out of the goodness of my heart (note to self: Find a better, less clichéd statement to replace that sentence).

However, I have a real hard time understanding why such an upstanding company(in your opinion) would not have a way to contact, by voice, any of there company representatives??
Maybe they don't like phones? I don't blame them, I'm not a huge fan of getting called on the phone very much. I also don't have a land-line in my current living situation and I am not going to wait on hold on my cell phone so I wouldn't use it anyways.

Its been well known for decades that customer support usually sucks as often as not for the majority of companies so I'm not really surprised or concerned by VALVe not having a phone line (though it would be nice for them to have one for account issues nor am I excusing them from not providing a phone line).

Don't they want to hear from there satisfied customers??
They do indeed respond to letters and fake order forms sent in, and often include free stuff. I've never sent them anything though.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91844-Valve-Replies-To-Fake-Order-Form-For-TF2-Items
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNPOJsgnBYc
(Just a couple from a quick google search)

Maybe not. I know from listening to some of the pro-steam people on this site,(Princescamp excluded) that it does get sickening after a while to hear such praise all the time, but, as a CEO that is one of the jobs.
I don't really understand what you're trying to say exactly here, nor where exactly you're getting this from, or where you're going.

I'm a little concerned about how you know he hasn't checked his e-mail... since you shouldn't have access to that.

I believe my words were he hasn't responded to any on here... big difference.

Taken from GiantBomb you can try this number: 425-889-9642

I will try it.

Not really, I sure as hell would have better things to do than talk to customers all day long as a CEO. It also isn't the CEO's job to deal with customers.

Are YOU a CEO?

the overall financial health of a company is most certainly a CEOs job and customers for THIS business relates directly to financial health,Thus, it most definetly IS one of his jobs. I have spoken with a few on different matters and most are very happy to speak to thier customers...obviously, lack of a phone number could/would lead to contrary belief.

*shrugs* That is how Valve have it set up, deal with it or write them a letter (they DO respond to letters, and sometimes with gifts. Again it takes time, I don't think they have much of a customer support department and they usually take longer then they say they will to do things).

Would it be nice if they had a bigger and better support division? Sure.

No, and I object to the accusation I am a shareholder (Valve doesn't trade shares/stocks anyways) or that because I like Steam and am trying to help people solve their problems that therefore I must be getting paid off by Valve in some way. I have no connections to Valve beyond being a customer. .Shane. wasn't responding so I tried to help out of the goodness of my heart (note to self: Find a better, less clichéd statement to replace that sentence).

I said"(you must be a shareholder?)" not an accusation, but a question. I do appreciate that you are trying to help as I stated. However, your actions would be more the type I would expect from a CEO or an employee who truly cared about improving how customers see his product.

Maybe they don't like phones? I don't blame them, I'm not a huge fan of getting called on the phone very much. I also don't have a land-line in my current living situation and I am not going to wait on hold on my cell phone so I wouldn't use it anyways.

Its been well known for decades that customer support usually sucks as often as not for the majority of companies so I'm not really surprised or concerned by VALVe not having a phone line (though it would be nice for them to have one for account issues nor am I excusing them from not providing a phone line).

Not sure what you are trying to say here or where you are going with it...lack of a contact phone number is nothing short of ridiculous...especially when your customer service is so lacking.

They do indeed respond to letters and fake order forms sent in, and often include free stuff. I've never sent them anything though.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91844-Valve-Replies-To-Fake-Order-Form-For-TF2-Items
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNPOJsgnBYc
(Just a couple from a quick google search)

As i said I have sent e-mails to some of the mail addresses I found along with a confirmation request and recieved nothing...I will not resort to a basically antiquated form of communication to give my feedback to a CEO. They are distributing products for the modern era...saying that they will respond to snail mail is not saying much in this day and age for such a company.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say exactly here, nor where exactly you're getting this from, or where you're going.

I am saying that you would think a CEO would be happy to hear positive or negative feedback about the service the company he represents provides. No? So how do I get one on the phone as E-mail does not work this outfit.

Nice quote there :p

I believe my words were he hasn't responded to any on here... big difference.
No your words were about him checking his e-mail, your meaning was that he hasn't responded here. There is a big difference.

Are YOU a CEO?
Yes, I am Gabe Newell and I have nothing better to do at work then go to a Civilization fan forum and try to help people with issues about my software but still noting its failings (which I have done repeatedly).

the overall financial health of a company is most certainly a CEOs job and customers for THIS business relates directly to financial health,Thus, it most definetly IS one of his jobs. I have spoken with a few on different matters and most are very happy to speak to thier customers...obviously, lack of a phone number could/would lead to contrary belief.
Well then maybe Gabe isn't interested in talking on the phone to customers. I haven't heard of very many companies (that have more than a handful of employees) who's CEO talks often talks to customers.

I said"(you must be a shareholder?)" not an accusation, but a question. I do appreciate that you are trying to help as I stated. However, your actions would be more the type I would expect from a CEO or an employee who truly cared about improving how customers see his product.
It is a bit of an accusatory question, and rather silly. Generally when people start throwing around stuff about someone they disagree with being an employee/bribed/etc its a sign they have nothing worthwhile left to argue with. And really all you're doing is complaining that there isn't a phone number and there isn't anything we can do about it, little alone me. (Even if your complaint has validity).

As i said I have sent e-mails to some of the mail addresses I found along with a confirmation request and recieved nothing...I will not resort to a basically antiquated form of communication to give my feedback to a CEO. They are distributing products for the modern era...saying that they will respond to snail mail is not saying much in this day and age for such a company.
What about e-mail is antiquated? The phone is much older.

Sorry, <snip>. I am glad you find Steam so great...Merry Xmas all!!:D

Hi, I want to buy the game by steam from Turkey? What is the price for it?And What is the first download size for the game?(main game + update)
Will there be any discount for Civ5 for christmas?(or possible?)

Why can't I install my game from the DVD?

Due to some circumstances I had to reinstall Civ5. I try to install it from the DVD, but it says that "Steam servers are too busy at the moment". But after that it starts downloading the game. So it's "too busy" to install it from the DVD, but not too busy to download it? :crazyeye: (My internet connection is pretty slow, so I'd prefer to only download the updates.)

Edit: I tried several times, and now it installs normally. But still it was weird...

Edit2: After installing I got the message about servers being busy again, but the updates got downloaded and the game runs normally.

Hi, I want to buy the game by steam from Turkey? What is the price for it?And What is the first download size for the game?(main game + update)
Will there be any discount for Civ5 for christmas?(or possible?)
The download size will be over 4 gigabytes. There was a discount a week ago on Steam, and hopefully there will be a daily deal on it in the next week as there are a lot of Steam sales right now (~1200 sales). I don't know how much it will cost, you'll have to check yourself, just google steam store. Goodluck!

Why can't I install my game from the DVD?

Due to some circumstances I had to reinstall Civ5. I try to install it from the DVD, but it says that "Steam servers are too busy at the moment". But after that it starts downloading the game. So it's "too busy" to install it from the DVD, but not too busy to download it? :crazyeye: (My internet connection is pretty slow, so I'd prefer to only download the updates.)

Edit: I tried several times, and now it installs normally. But still it was weird...

Edit2: After installing I got the message about servers being busy again, but the updates got downloaded and the game runs normally.
The Steam sales are on and 1000s of people are downloading their newly (and ridiculously cheaply) purchased games. I recommend changing your download region (go to your Steam settings) as well, try something where you don't expect many people to be downloading off Steam, I've seen people get super fast speeds from a European or Asian server when they can't get them from their local server in Washington DC or New York because of high demand.

And yeah sometimes it will try to download it instead of installing, just keep trying again until it works and if necessary delete what little it downloaded.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382

I know this is not the right place to ask, sorry, but I am sure someone could give me a short answe to the question: Do I need a 64-bit system to run civ65, or a 32-bit one couls do? Thanks!

Last night I got an error 'Steam could not complete installation of Civ V (10)'. Not the exact error but something similar. Anyway according to steams support page 10 means that the steam servers are busy. Is this a regular occurance?

I already own and have installed a copy of CIV 5 through Steam. Yesterday a small patch was released on Steam. Now Steam is downloading something with the Civ 5 title that is over 4 GBs and Civ 5 is unavailable...
Is the game reinstalling or something??!!? It was working fine, I had just played he new scenario after buying the Spain/Inca DLC. I use satellite internet with a fixed download allowance, so this is a major pain. It could take several days to get this 4 GB "patch".
Anybody know what the hell is going on?

I know this is not the right place to ask, sorry, but I am sure someone could give me a short answe to the question: Do I need a 64-bit system to run civ65, or a 32-bit one couls do? Thanks!

32 bit is enough.

Last night I got an error 'Steam could not complete installation of Civ V (10)'. Not the exact error but something similar. Anyway according to steams support page 10 means that the steam servers are busy. Is this a regular occurance?

There are christmas sales at the moment, that contributes to higher server load.
"Busy servers" can also happen normally, but should not that often.

Is the game reinstalling or something??!!? [...]

Yes, it's reinstalling, no, no one has an idea why :dunno:.

I already own and have installed a copy of CIV 5 through Steam. Yesterday a small patch was released on Steam. Now Steam is downloading something with the Civ 5 title that is over 4 GBs and Civ 5 is unavailable...
Is the game reinstalling or something??!!? It was working fine, I had just played he new scenario after buying the Spain/Inca DLC. I use satellite internet with a fixed download allowance, so this is a major pain. It could take several days to get this 4 GB "patch".
Yeah I've seen a few posts about this since its release, not sure why the hell its doing this, but I suspect its something to do with Civ5 getting corrupted maybe, not sure. Tried stopping, starting or restarting?

Also try deleting Clientregistry.blob in Program Files -> Steam

Failnig that if you don't want to download the whole thing, try uninstalling and reinstalling from the DVDs if you have them.

As mentioned its the winter holiday and there are, in case you've missed it somehow, ~1200 games and packs on sale on Steam. A lot of people are downloading their new and cheaply purchased games. Try changing your download region in the settings (doesn't really matter where, could be Singapore if it works).

EVERYONE PAY CLOSE ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!

WE NEED STEAM OR CIVFANATICS TO INSTALL THIS UTILITY TO WEED OUT WEAK LINKS FOR MP

http://www.speedtest.net/mini.php

Not to rain on your parade, but speed is not the limiting factor, Civ does not push tonnes of data, but it does need it delivered quickly and without dropping packets. So a pingtest is much more relevant than a speed test.

http://www.pingtest.net/

And chosing a server that is close to the people you play most of the time would be most useful to tell if you are going to lag at all to the players you play the most.

And neither of these takes into account the players playing with sub par computers, which with Civ5 being alot more demanding than Civ4 is likely causing as many problems as high latency if not more.

CS

Rain away, they have a ping test with twitch test as well. All this detail can be sent to Facebook, etc..I think that you could incorporate this testing to become a league member. Many more people would join. I would also ask for a screenshot of the PC performance log while in game to determine overall capability. It would be ideal if steam had a staging area to test for bandwidth, ping, twitch, and pc performance. This grade should follow you like a yahoo games rating.

Top Bottom