Stickies Update

Which threads do you think should remain stickies?

• Macintosh Tech Support/Game FAQ

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Mac Mod Installation Solutions

• New Aspyr Contact

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Using Windows Civ3 Editors on an Intel Mac (or in Virtual PC on a PPC)

• GameRanger Games

• Installing, Playing and Modding C3C on Apple Silicon

• Another thread that isn't already a sticky (leave comment on which)

• Total voters

Quintillus

Archiving Civ3 Content
Supporter
Since becoming a Civ3 moderator, one of the tasks on my back burner has been cleaning up the stickies on the various forums, removing outdated or no-longer-relevant information, and if need be adding new information. Having lots of stickies diminishes the visibility of each one, so by having fewer the remaining ones have more importance.

@SayHayKid made a great post documenting how to run Civ3 on Apple Silicon, and as soon as I read it I thought "this should be a sticky, lots of people are going to want to read this."

Admittedly the rate of traffic in this forum is low (three topics with posts in the past year) so it doesn't really need to be a sticky to stay on the top page, but why not start here?

Thus, today, I am making the following changes:

Moderator Action: Unstick the following threads

New Aspyr Contact
GameRanger Games
Welcome to the new Civ4 - Macintosh forum (this doesn't actually work on XenForo 2)

and

Moderator Action: Stick the following thread

Installing, Playing and Modding C3C on Apple Silicon

---

I've included a poll for feedback, notably if there is another thread you think should be a sticky, you can vote for it and note it and it will be considered for sticky status. Civ3 Complete on the newer Mac OS is probably the top candidate to be promoted, but not being a Mac person I am not sure if it's still sufficiently relevant with Apple Silicon being out?[/mod3][/mod3]

Since becoming a Civ3 moderator, one of the tasks on my back burner has been cleaning up the stickies on the various forums, removing outdated or no-longer-relevant information, and if need be adding new information. Having lots of stickies diminishes the visibility of each one, so by having fewer the remaining ones have more importance.

@SayHayKid made a great post documenting how to run Civ3 on Apple Silicon, and as soon as I read it I thought "this should be a sticky, lots of people are going to want to read this."

Admittedly the rate of traffic in this forum is low (three topics with posts in the past year) so it doesn't really need to be a sticky to stay on the top page, but why not start here?

Thus, today, I am making the following changes:

Moderator Action: Unstick the following threads

New Aspyr Contact
GameRanger Games
Welcome to the new Civ4 - Macintosh forum (this doesn't actually work on XenForo 2)

and

Moderator Action: Stick the following thread

Installing, Playing and Modding C3C on Apple Silicon

---

I've included a poll for feedback, notably if there is another thread you think should be a sticky, you can vote for it and note it and it will be considered for sticky status. Civ3 Complete on the newer Mac OS is probably the top candidate to be promoted, but not being a Mac person I am not sure if it's still sufficiently relevant with Apple Silicon being out?[/mod3][/mod3]
I put my vote in. I myself as someone who plays Civ III almost exclusively on Mac have noticed the state of dereliction this forum is in. There is a lot of info, and with 32-bit app support being gone it is basically final now. The issue is, there is no 'megathread' of sorts with info pertaining to the Mac port directly. That "Civ3 Complete on the newer Mac OS" is probably as close as you'll get.

I'm not sure what the policy is about this sort of thing, but I have every release of CivIII for Mac and know most of the issues as far as newer OSes go, so I could perhaps get a thread going detailing a table of what OSes work with which release. For example, macOS 10.12 and 10.13 must be run in Windowed mode for the game to launch.
I can also make an inline note about how easy it is to get the Windows version to run on an Intel Mac with various virtualization programs, and this is a proven method that runs good even on the earliest of Intel Macs from 2006. However I indeed want to focus on the Macintosh port. As I mentioned before, the status of the Mac version is final and will never need updated again.

I'd be fascinated by such a thread @livinginaz . I've been exploring the various home computer and console ports for Civ 1 over on that forum and it's been great fun seeing the different changes the various devs made to get the game to fit. Well Civ III is my other favourite and reading this thread makes me realise I know very little about the only non windows version of this game. For example, did Mac get stand alone releases of the expansion packs or did it just get vanilla and complete? Are the saves compatible? Were there any graphics/sound or gameplay changes unique to that version? I guess by the early 2000s windows pcs and macs had very similar capabilities, but surely some changes had to be made!

I'd be fascinated by such a thread @livinginaz . I've been exploring the various home computer and console ports for Civ 1 over on that forum and it's been great fun seeing the different changes the various devs made to get the game to fit. Well Civ III is my other favourite and reading this thread makes me realise I know very little about the only non windows version of this game. For example, did Mac get stand alone releases of the expansion packs or did it just get vanilla and complete? Are the saves compatible? Were there any graphics/sound or gameplay changes unique to that version? I guess by the early 2000s windows pcs and macs had very similar capabilities, but surely some changes had to be made!
Thanks for your interest. I will write up the thread today and update it as I find anything new (primarily from the original PowerPC version of CivIII which I am less familiar with.). Luckily the changes are not nearly as vast as the first Civ, but I'd argue they are more substantial than the difference between the PC and Macintosh versions of Civilization II, which are nearly identical.

Thread has been posted, would appreciate if @Quintillus could consider it for a sticky as well.

Top Bottom