1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop complaining against AI ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by tilalilalou, Sep 11, 2013.

1. JustinianIV

JustinianIV Warlord

It's been said a couple of times now that other strategy games have much better AI than Civ V. I'm curious to know which titles are being referred to. Not that I disagree. I'm sure that there is better AI out there.

OTOH, I find it hard to judge what qualifies as good AI. Perhaps it's easier to say what bad AI is.

2. Cvv

Cvv Chieftain

Cmon, good AI is much less hard to program thing than it may look like. Firaxis just need to give developers better timeline or better payment. I think they have much better brain resourses than requred for creating really good 1 second per turn AI. And I'm looking on this as programmer.

3. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Well, there's two different parts to the AI:

-Unit movement/tactics/battle strategy - This isn't easy to program (it's theoretically more complex than say chess), but the AI in Civ is exceptionally bad at this. As an example I'd say something like Battle for Wesnoth has a significantly better AI in this regard.

-Economy/High-level planning - This is even more difficult in many regards - deciding a victory condition, evaluating threats, balancing military with expansion with science with happiness, etc. - this is all very complicated in a game like civ, and very hard to program. They could certain hard build strategies to some degree, but it would also be a bit boring if every time AI Babylon created exactly 3 tall cities and rushed towards the science victory.

4. bc1

bc1

The AI sux simply because it does not matter enough to the average player. Better graphics means better sales, which is much easier than better AI anyway.