Story - The Roman-Nubian Conflict

Leyrann

Deity
(game info)

Map size: Standard.
Map type: Shuffle (seems to be fractal with a single continent).
Difficulty level: Immortal.
Game speed: Normal.
(I can provide screenshots if people want)

Past events...

The Sumerian Migration

In times long ago, told largely through oral traditions, several civilizations formed on the great southern continent Amasia, as well as on the continent west of it, Kumari Kandam, divided by what is now known as the Nubian Desert. On the west side of that desert, the civilization it is named after - Nubia - originally grew. Just on the east side, two other civilizations advanced, Sumeria and Australia. The fourth major player in this history - Rome - developed seperately, somewhat more to the east.

As only the Roman annals are available for this history, the earliest events may be incomplete and include some guessing work.

Both Nubia and Sumeria developed at a high pace, and in the fourth millenium BC, a three way war started, as Sumeria got into a war with both Nubia to its west and Australia to it's east. Though Sumeria's army managed to overrun Australia, first taking Melbourne and later Canberra, fully conquering the civilization, the absence of their army at their homeland meant that Nubia managed to conquer said homeland - both Uruk and Ur had been conquered at a time before the first Roman scouts explored the area. As had Melbourne, in fact, as Melbourne already was the Sumerian capital when the first contact between Rome and Sumeria was established.

This series of events did not do much for Sumeria's strength on the world's stage, as they had lost much of their original land, but conquered all of Australia. However, Nubia came out of the conflict as a major victor, being able to expand fast, establish a huge army, and found a religion, as well as conquering Amsterdam and a Russian city of which the name to date is not known to the Roman historians, though it still exists.

The Roman-Sumerian Wars

Around this time, however, the Romans truly come into the picture. After settling many lands and allying themselves with a number of smaller powers in the area, the Roman emperors of several hundred years ago came into a conflict with Sumeria. As this conflict escalated into war, the Roman Legions marched to Canberra, easternmost of Sumeria's cities.

After a major battle at the Esmar River, at the fords between Kandy and Muscat, the Roman Legions were victorious against the Sumerian War-carts, which had to disengage to their cities. After this, the Legions advanced without too much trouble, and after cresting the hills east of Canberra, they managed to take the city after a short siege.

After this battle, the Legions marched towards the city of Lagash. Though they managed to take down the fortifications of the Encampment that was built south of Lagash, an unexpected, refreshed army of War-carts left the imperators with no choice but to negotiate a peace, though it was still advantegious for the Romans.

This peace, however, was obviously not built to last. As the Romans advanced in the technology required for more advanced weapons, they also raised a larger army, buiding a catapult division as well as several regiments of crossbowmen and horsemen.

Soon after, a new war started, and the Roman army once again marched for Lagash, it's Legions this time supported by crossbowmen, horsemen and a catapult division. While the generals at the front defeated the Sumerian army and consequently besieged and finally took Lagash, the scientists in Ravenna and Arpinum figured out first that, if they clad horsemen in full plate armor, they would be fast and nigh invulerable to enemy weaponry. Shortly after, one of them discovered the secret of gunpowder, allowing them to create muskets powered by the niter found in Antium. These advancements in technology meant that the Legions now got muskets to work with, and they allowed for the training of dedicated, heavily armored knights. As these troops marched for Bad-Tibira, they learned to use the improved weaponry, and Bad-Tibira swiftly fell, as well as Melbourne and Adab, conquering all of Sumeria and bringing it under strong, Roman leadership.

880 AD

It is 880 AD, and the Roman-Sumerian war has just finished. The Roman Empire now borders the Nubian Empire, leaving either expansive empire little room to do just that. War seems inevitable, as there is already tension between the civilizations.

Though it appears the Roman Empire has a minor technology lead over the Nubian Empire, the Nubian Empire has, at the very least, been confirmed to have knights and crossbowmen in it's army, and two Great Generals - Boudica and Gustavus Adolphus. Additionally, scout reports from the past - which are believed to still be accurate - tell of an enormous army. They have also been confirmed to have access to Iron and Horses, and though there is a source of Niter in the Nubian Desert, it is currently not within their borders, so it may be assumed that the Nubians do not yet have access to Muskets. However, and this is the greatest danger to the Roman army, the Nubian army is devout confucian, and are known to fight extremely valiantly when defending confucian cities. Though the Romans do have schools for Warrior Monks in their religious cities, no Warrior Monks currently serve in the army, and they are believed to not be up to the standard of modern-day armies, having to fight against muskets, crossbowmen and knights.

Though it is not yet widely known, the Roman Empire is considering an invasion on Nubia at the northern edge of their shared border, aiming for the city of Shaat. However, the border is hilly terrain, and Shaat is a walled city defended, currently, by Bouddica.

As future events unfold, they will be added to these chronicles, which will most likely become known as the chronicles of the Roman-Nubian Conflict.

(this is going to be one of the hardest - and most interesting - wars I've ever fought (hence the story))

Last edited:
Okay, I'm gonna be honest, I'm having so much trouble I feel kinda discouraged from trying to continue... Also because I feel like Defender of the Faith means it doesn't come from an actual hard opponent, but rather another game mechanism. And yes, that's fair gameplay, but it's also annoying.

Okay, I'm gonna be honest, I'm having so much trouble I feel kinda discouraged from trying to continue... Also because I feel like Defender of the Faith means it doesn't come from an actual hard opponent, but rather another game mechanism. And yes, that's fair gameplay, but it's also annoying.

Still an extremely gripping read, if you don't mind me saying so :).

I'll give writing a story another try with the next game I start. :)

Top Bottom