Strange Problem

Brucha

King
I have a major problem and am posting here in my story thread as well as in the tech support thread in hopes of resolving this issue. Here is what happened.

The other day I was working with Steph's Editor as well as CivII Editor on a scenario I have been developing. I had kept the scenario .biq file in my Civ Contents folder so that I could start the game from time to time to check to see if there was any error messages due to missing details.

I saved the .biq file while in Steph's Editor, closed it and then re-started CIV III to check for mistakes. Strangely, when I went to click on Civ Content, the game froze up and did nothing. The game just sat there thinking and did nothing. Checking my task master, it said that the game was not responding. I re-booted the game and tried again, same thing. I tried to start a regular game and that worked, and even tried Conquest folder games - those worked, However, I could not get into the Civ Content list, not could I now start any saved games.

I closed the game and checked the Civ Content folder in programs. Now, I could not even open any of my Civ Content games in either editor nor start any of them in the game.

After some messing around, I removed all the now corrupted files from my saved game and Civ Content folders and restarted the game. Everything now worked fine, except that all my Civ Content .biqs were corrupted as well as my saves.

I get an error message when trying to open the files in CivIII Edit that "Seek failed on C:/.../.../.biq file. The same goes for the save files. In addition, I can no longer even open .biq files with Steph's editor.

I removed all the corrupted files and saves from my Civ II folder and the game runs fine, except for these corrupted files. I removed Steph's Editor and downloaded it again but to no effect. I even did Rrestore Point boot hoping to fix everything.

So, essentially, I cannot return these corrupted files to my Civ folder in Programs, but in doing so the games plays fine and I can start a game, save and re-start from these new saves. It seems only those older files and saves are corrupted.

Has anyone seen anything remotely like this?

If I remember correctly, Steph's editor has a problem with compressed biqs. Was your biq compressed?

Also, we'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't post the same post in multiple parts of the forum, unless a moderator suggests you do so. Tends to clutter the discussions up.

I'd pM Steph, and ask him.

Did you keep a copy of the biqs that you couldn't open anymore, including with me editor?

If you email one of them to me, I could try to open in debug mod and see where the problem is.

about the corrupted files, did you open and save them all with my editor at some time?

Because if one file becomes corrupted but never went through my editor, it means the problem is somewhere else.

Sorry, Steph, I did not mean to suggest that the corruption of the files was due to your editor program. I meant that I first noticed it as I was working on my mod using Steph's Editor. Certainly, the corruption of my saved games could not be affected by the use of Steph's Editor. I assume that, in the case of the biq file I was working on at the time became corrupt while in Steph's Editor, but that does not account for the other file corruptions, which were kept in my Saved Game folder.

Unfortunately, I deleted the corrupted files yesterday - to be able to get access into Civ Contents, I had to delete all the corrupted files in that particular folder. I first simply removed them to my desktop while I tried to firgure out what the problem was. Once the corrupted files were removed from the Civ Contents folder, the game worked fine. Yet, I could still not open them in Steph's editor, and recieved an error message saying that it could not find the .biq file path.

As far as the corrupted save game files, the error occurs when I try to re-boot the save point while in the Civ III game. I get no error message, the game just crashes to the desktop. I tried to start a new game, and made several new saves to see what would happen, and everything seems fine now.

So, basically, I have several corrupted .biq files from Civ Contents, as well as several saved game files.

Top Bottom