Strategic geography MOD

Strategic geography MOD v.1.0.Alpha

MR.Pat

Chieftain
MR.Pat submitted a new resource:

Enhanced sight and Defense - Make use of Hills for sight and defense

Enhanced Sight and Defense

What this Mod attempt to do amongst other things is to make use of hills as a strategically Position.

1. Recon Units, Mellle Units and Ranged Units Gain + 1 Extra Sight on Hills

2. If you Build an Encampment or a Fort on a Hill these Units gain + 2 Extra Sight on these Positions

3. Encampments gain + 100 City Fortification when Build on a Hill

4. Forrest Defense Modifikator is raised to 4

5. Jungle Defense Modifikator is raised to 5

6. Fort Defense...

Read more about this resource...

I had similar idea once - like "strategic geography" mod, where there would be considerable bonuses/penalties not only for hilly areas, but also rivers, climate events etc. I think the idea is superb, but the implementation of it is close to impossible.

I had similar idea once - like "strategic geography" mod, where there would be considerable bonuses/penalties not only for hilly areas, but also rivers, climate events etc. I think the idea is superb, but the implementation of it is close to impossible.

Hey Tovarish, You just inspired me to pehaps extend this Mod, i like the Idea with Rivers etc. I could think of penalties for Marshes and so on, i will Work on it, but i´m new to modding, this is my first, well let me say Bigger Mod Projekt ;)

Hey Tovarish, You just inspired me to pehaps extend this Mod, i like the Idea with Rivers etc. I could think of penalties for Marshes and so on, i will Work on it, but i´m new to modding, this is my first, well let me say Bigger Mod Projekt ;)
Let us see how long this inspiration will last, given the complexities :) Some of them could be done easily, simply by extending the already existing penalties. Like river crossings, for example. In real military, it is close to suicide to cross a riven with enemy on the other side aiming at you. So the penalties should be harsh and in normal circumstances player should seek to avoid crossing a river under enemy fire. Similarily with hills - hills give very good defensive bonus. That is, it doesnt help to attack, but when defending, hills are superb. My original idea included also penalties for city building - building on hills or even onto marsh should increase building cost because it is much harder to build on those terrains. With tiles alongside rivers it is on the contrary, because you could ship building materials on that river and it may offer a huge difference in times with mule "transports". But right now in Civ6 there is no difference if you build on grassland or marsh, jungle or desert. My idea was to make player think even harder - where to build a city and how to use those tiles. You cant have it all.
In other words "strategic geography" would add additional layer of complexity to already overcomplex game for the stubborn AI. THe idea sure is entertaining, but the AI is simply too stupid to take such strategy into consideration. However, some tweaks could be made, I am sure, and I will wait with wonder what your ideas will be :)

Wow you thought of a lot, i will right down some ideas and we will see what i can achive, i will try to add some River penaltys first i gues,

Perhaps one obvious difference shall be attacking from woods/jungle to flat land. An army on flat land is quite vulnerable and shall suffer far more than the one taking position in woods. Again we are talking defensive bonus, just like hills.
I think it is possible to extend a little on already existing "flanking bonus" - when military units work together, they are far more effective than fighting alone, and that could and should have meaningful impact against just one military unit of enemy. Just think about it - if you see enemy double the size of your own forces, that should scare the bejesus out of you and your fighting spirit deminish. At the same time - there is nothing wrong if both parties enjoy flanking bonus if that would be the case - as many units working together are more effective.

Probably it is easy to overpower those bonuses, since they stack together (accumulate), so you have to do careful calculations. But at this point I am more intereseted to know your ideas, not mine :)

Be aware that the AI's ability to exploit such bonuses to his advantage is close to none. So you may land in a situation where you did excellent work but at the end only improved human strenght against the AI.
I suggest you have a consultation with one of the best (if not THE best) modder in this community: infixo. He made "Real strategy" mod, that improves AI, he knows this business and could explain what is feasible and what is not.

3. + 1 Extra Attack when on a Hill - some attack bonuses when being on a hill could be cool for late game ranged units, like rifleman - imagine them shooting at those poor bastards below :) but otherwise - doesnt it make more sense to give defensive bonus to units on hills? In real military, hills are superb for defense, very superb. I cannot imagine how they help attack. All I am asking is to explain your thoughts behind modificators you give to to hills (+ 1)

All in all - I just would like to express opinion that when unit is on a hill, giving him extra attack does not make sense. If anything, hills make any movement more difficult and that's why hills are good for defense in real military.
It would make more sense to give +1 attack or + 1move on flat terrain. But then again it must be carefully looked upon because how it compares with other bonuses. It might have no bonuses at all as well.

Just an opinion to let you know I do not understand your the idea behind the bonus on hills.

4. Cannot Attack Marsh Ability - it sounds like you cannot attack units hiding in the marsh, but for uneducated people it could be explained, that this is not what "Cannot Attack Marsh Ability" means - it means that a unit itself cannot attack, if is located in marsh.

Last edited:
3. Ranged Units:

- + 1 Extra Sight Range on a Hill

- + 2 Extra Sight Range On Encampments or Forts that are Build on a Hill

- + 1 Extra Attack Range on Hills

- - 5 Reduced Combat Strenght when Attacking Forrest or Jungles

- + 1 Extra Attack when on a Hill

- this all makes sense, but seems to be huge overkill. Nobody would build anything else than ranged units. I think that + 1 Extra Attack when on a Hill should be deleted.

3. Ranged Units:

- + 1 Extra Sight Range on a Hill

- + 2 Extra Sight Range On Encampments or Forts that are Build on a Hill

- + 1 Extra Attack Range on Hills

- - 5 Reduced Combat Strenght when Attacking Forrest or Jungles

- + 1 Extra Attack when on a Hill

- this all makes sense, but seems to be huge overkill. Nobody would build anything else than ranged units. I think that + 1 Extra Attack when on a Hill should be deleted.
Thanks Toavrish, i. i deleted the Extra attack for Most ranged Units, and edited the Code so i can assign ability´s to single Units and not to a hole Class of Units

MR.Pat updated Enhanced sight and Defense with a new update entry:

Enhanced sight and defense

Enhanced sight and defense v. 2. Alpha

What this Mod attempt to do amongst other things is to make use of hills as a strategically Position.

For version 2, I did a lot of rewriting of the Code, i guess i learned a little bit from my mistakes and Fixed some Bugs, almost every feature of this Mod so far should work stable and as intended, but its still an Alpha.

Please leave a Comment when finding any Bugs or if you have any Suggestions or Ideas.

UnitAbillity´s are no...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Some ideas are very good. I really like scouts being hidden when in forest.

Some edits from this mod have nothing to do with sight or defence and you don't even mention them in description.

In the mod description next to every feature you write if it was tested or not. This is ridiculous. Why would you release anything before you test it? Changes your mod does are simple. They should be easy to test with God mod.

Some ideas are very good. I really like scouts being hidden when in forest.

Some edits from this mod have nothing to do with sight or defence and you don't even mention them in description.

In the mod description next to every feature you write if it was tested or not. This is ridiculous. Why would you release anything before you test it? Changes your mod does are simple. They should be easy to test with God mod.

Hello, well the Mod is still in Development and i will Rename it mostlikely to " Strategic geography mod" , every change or Feature the mod have is in the Description.
You are right that i still have things to test and Balance, thats why i wrote (Testing) behind it.
I just started with Mod building, and i have to learn a lot, thats why things are changing day by day, but i think that should be ok, i stated that this mod is still an Alpha, and like in Game development, some features are not ready or buggy.

Other Question: What is the Godmod please, it sounds good, could you explain how it works and how i can test Features of the Mod.

Thank you

every change or Feature the mod have is in the Description.
What about this one?
Code:
DELETE FROM Boosts WHERE BoostID ='64';
And these look like they don't belong in the mod:
Minimun Starting Distance of Mayor Civilizations is raised to 15 (Works)
8. Minimum City Building Distance is raised to 4 (Works)
9. +20% Growth in City´s when build on rice or wheat resource (Works)

What is the Godmod
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/god-mod.27453/

Last edited:
oh you are right i forgot about the Boost... Thanks,
ps and th godmod looks good will test it

Top Bottom