Strategic resources should not block district or wonder placement

KayAU

Emperor
As I'm sure everybody have noticed, strategic (as well as luxury) resources block the placement of districts and wonders. As strategic resources are revealed gradually with tech tree advancement, this creates the supremely annoying situation where spots you had planned to use suddenly become unavailable when a new resource is revealed. However, if you place the district/wonder before the resource is revealed, you get the desired placement, as well as the resource itself, as if it had been improved.

This makes no sense to me. Just let me place the district/wonder as I could before the resource was revealed.

I feel like the district model isn’t quite flexible enough to give satisfying solutions to this issue.
I agree that it’s frustrating but that doesn’t necessarily mean the game should just let us do what we want (although it would make improving the AI district placement easier!)

IMO one can bandaid it for Civ 6 by allowing strategics to be built on. But you really need some kind of conceptual system where “districts” have “layers” and one of those layers allows you to handle resources.

Example: districts have a “specialization” layer an “infrastructure” layer, and an “auxiliary” layer. The Specialization layer is where your buildings Like libraries and universities go. Things like aqueducts and canals could go in our Infrastructure layer, and our Auxiliary layer could be the tile context dependent piece. In these cases, you could put an iron mine or oil well in that slot. Then your district can handle the resource problem without needing to get stuff for free. Discover a new resource? Swap your auxiliary slot (or not!) to get access. Maybe other things could go there if the conditions are right- I’m just making stuff up but a hotel if next to a world wonder, geothermal plant on a fissure, etc.

It’s not like extraction infrastructure doesn’t exist in urban areas. But the point is you need a little bit more flexible district structure because the amount of binary conditions with our current model makes any resolution of this issue unsatisfying.

I agree that it's just a bandaid, but it's something which could be applied easily without requiring a major redesign. I just want to get rid of the annoyance of getting spots unexpectedly blocked, and the inconsistency of being able to put districts/wonders on resource tiles, but only if you do it before the resource is revealed. An alternative quick fix would be to have these spots revealed from the very beginning. If they wanted to maintain some mystery to it, they could just mark it as "unknown resource".

I wouldn't mind a district redesign, though, I just think it is likely to be coming for Civ 6 at this stage. :)

Top Bottom