• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

strategy for managing units

laughingman12

Chieftain
I am a huge Civilization fan/player

Can anyone please give me strategy on managing your troops. Like stacking them and stuff

You didn't want a 16 page document? :hmm:

Section 3.4 on Page 13 of Sisiutil's guide on the SoD gives some examples, but the thrust of it is if you're taking cities (instead of pillaging) lots of city raider units with some anti-XX defenders.

For instance, his first example;

• 1 Combat I / Shock Axeman
• 4-6 City Raider I Axemen
• 1 Combat I Spearman

The City Raider Axes will take out the enemy's Archers, the Shock Axe will defend against any lurking enemy Swordsmen, Axes, or Spears, while the Combat Spear will defend against enemy Chariots.

Civ4 combat is typically modelled on the Paper-Scissors-Rock type of gameplay. For instance;

Chariots kill Axes
Axes kill Spears
Spears kill Chariots​

... therefore, you want to protect your best city raiders in your SoD with defensive units that will protect against most attack types - in this case a Cover Axe (protects against Melee Units) and a Spearman (protects against Horseback Units).

Bottom line ... lots of city raiders, an anti-melee, and an anti-horseback.

In time, add in seige weapons, medics, and units with the Sentry promotion. After that, bigger stacks with more defenders, anti-gunpowder, etc.

Top Bottom