Strategy Guide on Amazon

bio_hazard

Prince
Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-9218871-6576954?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I'm guessing it doesn't really have that much strategy and is just an expanded reference, but at 400pp it must have something interesting in it, right?

Also- it has a release date of Nov 14th- hard to say whether this reflects that Civ IV will actually come out then, or whether the book publisher wasn't prepared to rush things to meet the new software release. Amazon doesn't have the rating for CivIV either.

It makes you wonder how good the details are going to be if the game isn't even finished yet!

I doubt I'll get it because the manual will probably be pretty good and you geniuses out there on civfanatics usually come up with such good strategery.

These sort of books are worth nothing, unless you are stuck in a car as a passenger on a long journey have can't be bothered thinking much and there is nothing worth looking at outside the window.

Save your hard-stolen dough.

kittenOFchaos said:
These sort of books are worth nothing, unless you are stuck in a car as a passenger on a long journey have can't be bothered thinking much and there is nothing worth looking at outside the window.

Save your hard-stolen dough.
And you weren't smart enough to bring your lap top along with CIV installed.

I've played Civ III on airplanes a few times :mischief:

That's pretty much what I figured. Someone gave me their old Diablo II disk and guide which was basically just a big manual but had some useful spoiler stuff in terms of maps, etc. Not really strategy though, more like 'don't forget to go in that hidden cave'

@ joe3blah - me too, although its kind of a pain cause it involves so much mousing, especially with the mac version. And unless i can find an unguarded outlet during a layover, my battery won't get me from west coast US to east coast.

My advice:

Never buy pre-release strategy guides for turn-based games.
They are usually half-obsolete, never give good strategies and are usually full of fluff that you can already have in civilopedia or help files.

And what is worth some info chart if it is obsolete and half of the values are wrong compared to finished game.

Anyway, don't support such trash.
Don't buy!
Ever!

And one day, strategy guide publishers will realize what they are doing wrong.

I predict this will be one of the best strategy guides ever.

Strategy guides are useful not for the strategy (it's often not good) but for the hidden game mechanics they will publish. Like the numbers and calculations behind combat or something like that.

But it will be obsolete probably with the expansions.

The problem is that they are usually already obsolete when game gets relased, due to them being sent to print several months before game gets finished.

And sometimes, there are even outright errors in such guides.

I think that the 250 pages guide that comes with the game will be enough. And i doubt I will read it in full before start playing Civ IV. Buying a 400 pages guide does not make any sense to me.

Top Bottom