Strategy tips?

Father Beast

Chieftain
Hi, I have Colwin, and get a bit frustrated because it crashes a lot, but that's not all...

I have some trouble figuring out what I'm going to be doing. most times I just found a colony somewhere, then sort of msey along until the crashes frustrate me too much.

is there strategies to follow, as in: if you're going for an early revolution, do these things, and if you want to be a trading giant, do these?

I haven't founded a second colony in any game yet, should I be doing that? how do I best build up new colonies, etc.

the game looks fascinating, but I haven't gotten much into it.

Well if you work around the crashes its a great game. Colonies are imparative. To build another one simply get a colonist and find a nice spot.(I think you have to put tools on him tho) Anyways the nation you choose is a lso important. If you want to be a trading giant be the Dutch. You want a lot of people, English. Good relations with the indians, French. Are you a war monger? Choose Spain. Founding Fathers are also a good feature that adds depth to the game. Overall the game is a master peice. Thats sad to hear about it crashing. Hang in there and you will fall in love with the game.

you can read the manual in acrobat reader. its included. and, its really informative. i urge you to do it, its a really great game.

I guess I hadn't run Colwin since I upgraded to Win95. now it's even worse, and crashes every time you try to do anything. maybe I'd try the Dos version, but I don't have it, or do I....

ahh... I DO have the dos version, just has a few problems with the mouse.

sometimes the mouse responds, most of the time it doesn't. it only responds in the main map screen, and only then sometimes. it has a strong tendency to freeze if I move it toward the colonipedia.

I have the manual. printed it out a couple years ago. I CAN use the keyboard commands.

lets start with something basic. my first soldier, should I have him join the colony and do something useful?, or should I have him scout, or just fortify where he is?

Well, you should make one of your first colonists join the colony, and the other should clear/plow the tile your colony is built on.
After doing that, clear some other tiles near your colony, preferrably mixed forest which becomes plains and forests other than conifer, which should be your source of wood.

After that start recruiting and build a saw mill and docks

ASAP get your pioneer to plough and then build your first colony with the soldier on the same square in the same turn - that way you will have more food for your first colony in the long run at the same time saving one turn. Your ship can do some short distance exploring but it should be ready to return to Europe to collect your first free immigrant at the docks.

After a few turns you will be able to have enough fur/other primary produce to sell to Europe where you can then collect a migrant equipped with horses (which makes him a scout). This is the preferred unit for exploring your New World. For the benefits of using the scout see my post in the thread on Tips and Tricks.

Top Bottom