stupid barbarians

dirtworm

Warlord
alright i just was in war with persia, decided nuff was nuff, too much civil disorder, and i got a bunch of their cities. their one city, far away for some reason...surprising for so early in the game...had a stack of 20 barbarian horsemen fortified right next to it...they took my all my gold away:cry:

That is why you should always have a lot of troops in taken cities (Once the resistors are quelled)

That is why you should always have a lot of troops in taken cities (Once the resistors are quelled)

nono, they gave it to me, and when they give you a city it has nothing in it, so i had no way to defend against it

I hope you can afford the loss.

Apologies for sounding cruel, but I think the barbarians was not stupid at all... ;)

Barbarians are one of the 2 reasons I rarely collect gold in the AA, I either use it to run 100% sci with negative income, or to buy embassy's. And sometimes to (help) trade tech. from the AI.
The other reason is that the AI will just demand it in tribute.

Here is a small tip: if you are about to lose gold to barbs, and there is nothing you can do to stop it, gift the gold to the AI. If you are lucky, and you choose the AI you gift it to carefully, may even trade it back again next time you trade techs.
Even if you do not see any way to get your gold back, you at least get better AI relations. Good AI relations may be of little value, but it is still better value than losing it to barbs.

Good post MAS, you are right.

But I merely avoid having much gold because of the AI (and because I spend the revenue on science), I don't care so much about the barbarians. I actually love fearing barbarians, good spice for the game. Not so exciting if I don't have much to lose. :p

I think the barbarians should be able to overtake or even raze a town, not just rob it.

Learn to love danger. :smoke:

Upgrading units is good to use up gold too, but not always possible.

In the future, if you see something like that about to happen you can abandon the city, I'm guessing it wasn't prime real estate from your discription.

yesyes, i didn't even realize that i had gotten that city from them in the trade for te peace treaty till they started stealing all my gold...silly mistake....ehh oh well

How much gold did you lost?

I lost 300+ gold once a while ago. I send a settler to this place which ended up being a big deserted Island, so was lots of barbarians there, and I had lots of gold (as I usually do, so I can upgrade my units later on). I usually set the barbarians as the most aggressive ones, so it toke me a while (and a lot of gold) to take down the Island from the barbarians.

The good thing do, is that I build the Forbidden Palace there (toke a long time to build, because of the corruption), which made me have more gold then I ever had in a civ game. Was like having two capitals in two different locations. More like playing with two civ in one game.

Wouldn't 'rushing' be a more beneficial use, assuming you aren't in despotism?
Rushing with gold are only in monarchy, democracy and republic. Everyone are in despotism at some time, and some may revolt to communism. And in C3C you have fascism, I don't know, but I believe it uses pop-rushing.

But if you give all the gold to the AI they might buy techs with it, and upgrade units.

So what. Generally, when playing w/raging barbarians, it's a good tactic to keep one city as bait for the barbs. Better to pay out 1 or 2 gold for each than lose troops or workers.

Of course the best tactic, if you have the manpower, is to station troops to cover the nearby unclaimed lands so that barbarian camps don't form in the first place.

Of course the best tactic, if you have the manpower, is to station troops to cover the nearby unclaimed lands so that barbarian camps don't form in the first place.

That can be quite difficult sometimes, especially if the city is far away.

So what. Generally, when playing w/raging barbarians, it's a good tactic to keep one city as bait for the barbs. Better to pay out 1 or 2 gold for each than lose troops or workers.

One or two gold????:eek: they take hundreds!:cry: (if you have hundreds)

So the lesson we learned today is - when barbarians roam the lands keep your cash under the mattress.

Spoiler :
Or use them for upgrades, science, happiness etc etc.

Top Bottom