Succession Game (SG) & Mac Training Day Game (MTDG): Enrollment

Will get back here for further Succession Games when time allows.
Will follow current French exploits with interest :)

Very interesting. I'm too busy right now for a succession game, but I'll follow this one and join another when things calm down.

If anyone wants to join a new succession game, EM5- Imperialist Romans (Civ3) has opened on the main Succession Games forum. This is a great opportunity to attempt an "integrated" Civ3 1.29 game with our PC counterparts.

The stats are:
Emperor level
Standard Pangaea
Raging Barbs

GOTM20 is giving me an appetite for the next stage of development of my game, and I think something like a SG or training game would help. But almost every SG and training game in the main forum is played using PTW, so there are very few 1.29 game slots available for us.

Would either be of interest here, played on Civ3 1.29 to enable us Mac exiles? I have no experience of setting one up, but I'd be very happy to join in, and I have time to do the admin bits if that's a problem. Of course a training game would also need an experienced player as trainer - that's not me!

I'm about where you're at, AlanH, and my scores indicate that I could use a hand! So I'd love to join in, but I'd be no use as a trainer ;)

I would be interested in a Mac SG or OSG. I miss em. My current level of play is - usually win on monarch, close but have not yet won on emperor (I always get ganged up on):arrow:.
n8mac

Originally posted by feght
I'm about where you're at, AlanH, and my scores indicate that I could use a hand! So I'd love to join in, but I'd be no use as a trainer ;)
Well, I'm not even sure where I'm at :confused:

I have played maybe three or four private games though to victory, all Romans 'cos I was too lazy to change the default. and moving up the scale as far as Monarch. I've shadowed GOTM18 and 19 past the QSC stage to try to master the early game. I'm enjoying GOTM20 so far, as I feel I've now hammered some of the early-game basics into my skull, but I can't help feeling I'm riding for a fall now that I'm in less well-known territory.

Anyway, that's three people interested in principle, no trainers yet so no TG for now, but it sounds like n8mac at least admits to having played an SG before? Maybe we can start our own SG if we can drum up a couple more players. How about a Monarch game first to get a feel for it - anyone any preferences for civs and set-up? If we think it's a starter I assume we just set up a thread in the main SG forum and announce it here and in the main SG announcements thread. That way we may get one or two PC 1.29 players as well.

How does an Open SG work, by the way, n8mac? Do you just continue using whichever 10-turn upload comes in first each time? If so it seems like it would be a free-for-all with little continuity, and only one or two fast turnround players would get involved.

Originally posted by AlanH
Maybe we can start our own SG if we can drum up a couple more players. How about a Monarch game first to get a feel for it - anyone any preferences for civs and set-up? If we think it's a starter I assume we just set up a thread in the main SG forum and announce it here and in the main SG announcements thread. That way we may get one or two PC 1.29 players as well.

I'd be happy to go with a monarch game, since I'm not yet winning all my games there, and I'd prefer not to have an input on the game setup - I need to be challenged to improve.
I think we should isolate ourselves from the PC guys for now though :p No real reason, so maybe I'm irrational :crazyeye: but i think we could get a nice five player game going fairly easily over here - we only need two more players!

I just have to get past the problems I'm having in GOTM20 and I'm all go! :thumbsup:

I would love to be included in any sort of training game you guys try. The last couple GOTMs really showoed me that I have to get my act together. (although I think I have gotten a lot better just in the few months I have been using this site)

Monarch level game would be good for me too.

but it sounds like n8mac at least admits to having played an SG before?

How does an Open SG work, by the way, n8mac? Do you just continue using whichever 10-turn upload comes in first each time?

If you have the time look back in the mac forums at a OSG that I took part in called 'djb-3: Persian Hegimony' which ended March 10th.
Also you can look at an SG called 'MTDG - 1: Alexander Osimov' that ended Feb. 24th and another called 'djb - 2: A marytime of Russia' that ended Jan. 28th.

The turns have always been @20 intervals. In an OSG no specific order is given, someone can play only once if they want to and everyone doesn't have to wait on one person if they get busy outside of Civ3. The dissadvantage is it will take longer and be less organized.
In an OSG someone posts saying they are next and everyone waits for their turns, then someone else posts and so on.
The choice is yours.

Hi there,

I am happy to join another OSG round - it fell into disuse when the GOTMs became available to the mac community. I learnt some in the OSGs and plenty in the GOTMs but there are getting progressively harder. GOTM 20 at Deity is OK so far 350 bc but how to stay with the techs through trades is hard (generally expensive).

Originally posted by MacBaldrick
Hi there,

I am happy to join another OSG round - it fell into disuse when the GOTMs became available to the mac community. I learnt some in the OSGs and plenty in the GOTMs but there are getting progressively harder. GOTM 20 at Deity is OK so far 350 bc but how to stay with the techs through trades is hard (generally expensive).
Then there were four. Sounds like we might be able to rustle up a quorum. I would rather wait for a few more days. My GOTM20 is taking a loooong time. I just broke out of the latest session having made it to Spoiler2. Man, it's hard work, and I'm only playing Conquest.

Then there were four. Sounds like we might be able to rustle up a quorum. I would rather wait for a few more days. My GOTM20 is taking a loooong time. I just broke out of the latest session having made it to Spoiler2. Man, it's hard work, and I'm only playing Conquest.

If one of you guys set up one, I'll be glad to join in as fifth man.

Lovely then. I'm still keen. How about you set one up, Alan, after you're done with GOTM?

If I'm going to be responsible for it I'd probably prefer a straight subscribed SG as that's the devil I know (but only from reading SG threads). An OSG can probably work well in a large community where there's always likely to be someone around to pick it up. In a smaller group like this Mac forum I feel we need some commitment from a team of named players to "own" it. What say you?

As I understand the format, we play 10 or 20 turns each, with up to 48 hours between players (24 hours to post "Got it", 24 hours to report and upload). At worst case speed and playing to 2050 this means the game could run for 100 or 50 days. Realistically we could be in for a month or so of elapsed time.

In order to find a format that we can commit to for this sort of period, please can everyone who is interested post preferences for the following game parameters. In a few days, when we can all see our responses, I suggest we try and agree whether there is any compromise game setup that will hold enough people's attention for this length of time.

1. SG or OSG:

2. Preferred difficulty level.

3. Preferred world set-up
size:
land mass/water:
climate:
temperature:

4. Preferred civ:

5. Preferrred opponents:

"Random" or "don't care" are valid answers for any or all of the above.

One thing you might want to consider is the choice between a map made at the official civ3 site or a civ3 generated one. Also a specific goal, like diplomacy only for example.

If a new generated map...
Monarch or Emporer
SG
Standard or large size

Rest don't matter.

n8mac

Righto.

1: SG
2: Monarch for a start
3: Standard or large is good, and as I said before, I'd rather somebody else chose all the rest, just to bring me out of my shell.

also, would probably be good if I'm player number 5 - I think it works better geographically?

I have opened a new succession game Zwi1 - Low Pressure Deity on the main Succession Game forum. It is a deity level game with only 3 AI opponents on a standard map with some extra conditions.

It will run with any Mac or PC with the Civ3 1.29 patch.

FYI: ControlFreak is trying to start up an SG based on the GOTM23 start file, maybe with multiple teams if there's enough interest. If we can get up some support we might be able to get a v1.29 team going.

Alan, ControlFreak seems to prefer players who didn't already play GOTM23. How do you feel about that?

(I also missed the part about multiple team play - where is it?)

Top Bottom