Suggestion: eliminate silk except for spider pens

Theres a ritual that turns all the barbarians into animals. I used this and found all the animals for the managerie except the gorilla. There were tons of the other animals though, especially on continents where no civs were placed.

things like that would be more useful if the pedia entries were filled out. Having not played ffh that long, building rituals with no description isn't high on my priorities list.

Actually it depends on the silk. Normal silk is from silk-worms but there is also some harvested these days from spiders. It is mostly used for the cross hairs in scopes.

well ..
spider silk is used in bullet proof vest..
but those vests are not :
-arrows proof
-mace proof (as much as any other thick wool armor..)
-sword/spear thrust proof.

but :
-they reduce swords slash impact transforming a sword into a huge heavy cudgel.
-protect against gunpowder units (bullets)

still want to designe a proper promotion "spider silk armor ??"

My problem with finding animals has been that the AI civs destroy all the dens on the map, even the ones near me that I'm trying to camp for xp. Even on an epic speed huge map, the animals are gone by the time I get husbandry, unless I pop it from a hut or need it early for resources. Perhaps an AI tweak to encourage them to leave dens alone would help?

Does like everyone but me subdue animals? I prefer to beeline towards specific techs so aside from playing as either of the elven races I don't end up getting the subdue animal promotion for a long time.

Same here. Although I would never lower myself to playing an Elven race...

Umm and I dont think Silk should be removed in place of Spider Pen generation. :D

I'm in favor of the following:
1) New resource from spider pens. Additionally, it would be cool if baby spiders were generated faster than they are now. Make it a 50% chance with each successful combat. This new resource would increase the defensive strength of light units by one.
2) More animals! I would also like to see scouts and hunters with a 75% bonus vs. animals. I think the idea of preventing the lizards, orcs, goblins, and skelletons from killing animals would help. Also, more dens are needed with a higher animal generation rate. Gorillas and Tigers are far far far too rare. Finaly, as was also said earlier, allow animals to be spawned in parallel with the orcs, lizardmen, and goblins. Tigers and gorillas also have habitats in temperate forests...it isn't just jungles you know.

What the title says. I think silk would be much neater if it was only available via spider pens.

- feydras

worst idea ever. Do you think the AI does
a) capture a Spider
b) use it to build a spider pen

naaah... I rather suggest that the silk from Spider Dens is stronger and gives an additional bonus to archers. But again this is unfair to the AI. Anything that comes only with spider pen will be unfair to the AI.

My problem with finding animals has been that the AI civs destroy all the dens on the map, even the ones near me that I'm trying to camp for xp. Even on an epic speed huge map, the animals are gone by the time I get husbandry, unless I pop it from a hut or need it early for resources. Perhaps an AI tweak to encourage them to leave dens alone would help?

I have had the opposite problem, but only with Bears and a few Elephants. In my last few games of .25 and my first .30, there have been at least 100 Bears on my huge Fantasy map (epic). It is really difficult to go outside your border without running into a bunch.

I agree that the AI is very intent on killing off animals, but the Bears seem to build their dens quickly and, in the early game, the dens are sometimes guarded by more poweful units.

Of course having this many Bears on a map really negates the raging barb effect IMO.

I would like to see a better distribution of the animals, but then I guess the Grand Menagerie would be too easy to build.

unless they learn to try to capture animals intstead of killing every animal before anybody in-game gets 'subdue animal'

maybe each animal should be left alone by the AI, save wolves and bears... ?

You know what I hate? When you finally get subdue and capture a spider, and the ai kills it, while its in the same tile as your scout...

I find that on slower speeds (which I hate, since i'm just pressing enter for 10 minutes before something interesting happens) its much easier to get animals for your menagerie.

You know what I hate? When you finally get subdue and capture a spider, and the ai kills it, while its in the same tile as your scout...

Unless you declare nationality immediately and then the AI (not the barbs, though) would stay away. That takes away from the fun of having an HN Spider to wreak havoc with, though.

Those captured Spiders that remain HN take a long time to heal too (15 turns in Epic) and they can easily be killed by wandering barb goblins.

I find that on slower speeds (which I hate, since i'm just pressing enter for 10 minutes before something interesting happens) its much easier to get animals for your menagerie.

I would agree only IF you get lucky with goodie huts (popping Hunting and Animal Husbandry) and your Scout. Trying to capture animals like Tigers and Gorillas is tough with a Scout.

Think about how long it takes in a Marathon game to research Hunting and Animal Husbandry. By the time you have a Hunter with Subdue Animal, most of the animals (except Bears which are not needed for the GM) are long gone.

Top Bottom