[suggestion] Tune down spy's gold stealing

saamohod

Deity
Does anyone find spy gold stealing a bit over the top?
Late game it is almost impossible to accumulate any sizeable sum of money needed for upgrades, purchases or hard times. Since the amount of stolen money apparently gets calculated as a percentage of current treasury, a single amount of stolen gold usually reaches ridiculous figures.

Last edited:
I generally find if I am spending my gold reasonably that its not really a problem.

Reminds me of a long-time bug that happens with advanced actions too:

If you get hit by multiple advanced actions on the same turn, it's always the same kind, e.g. you won't get your gold stolen and great people assassinated on the same turn. Kinda like the ones already reported like conscription/vassal tribute/city state quests.

I love VP, but think the direction of how spying works over all to be it’s weakest area.

Gold stealing should be a flat number.. not a percentage.

The whole great works theft should be removed all together... or at least be given an option to turn off. It encourages capital hoarding.. you have to be nuts to store your GWs outside of it unless you just run out of space. I tried it once and was getting theft messages every 10 turns or so.. ya.. fun.

The AI gets pissy as hell when you spy on it, but will continue to send spy’s on the human player (and the other AIs) even if your it’s vasal, or closest friend. I pretty much have “you demanded they stop spying” negative diplomatic flag on all the AI civs by industrial.

I sometimes turn off spying, but I do like the alerts spying provides of attacks and how other civs can give you a heads up. (Though it is totally unfair to the AI, but it’s cool enough to over look) I also like how tech stealing allows civs that are behind to catch up.

Again... please please please.. an advanced setup options to let us control how spying works.

Please...

Last edited:
I don't understand how a civ could just steal a great work and then proudly display it in their museums for some culture and tourism. There are enough cases of countries asking for repatriations for artifacts obtained through war. That feature should be removed imo.

I love VP, but think the direction of how spying works over to be it’s weakest area.

Gold stealing should be a flat number.. not a percentage.

The whole great works theft should be removed all together... or at least be given an option to turn off. It encourages capital hoarding.. you have to be nuts to store your GWs outside of it unless you just run out of space. I tried it once and was getting theft messages every 10 turns or so.. ya.. fun.

The AI gets pissy as hell when you spy on it, but will continue to send spy’s on the human player (and the other AIs) even if your it’s vasal, or closest friend. I pretty much have “you demanded they stop spying” negative diplomatic flag on all the AI civs by industrial.

I sometimes turn off spying, but I do like the alerts spying provides of attacks and how other civs can give you a heads up. (Though it is totally unfair to the AI, but it’s cool enough to over look) I also like how tech stealing allows civs that are behind to catch up.

Again... please please please.. an advanced setup options to let us control how spying works.

Please...

Blame Firaxis for terrible a espionage codebase.

G

Yeah I’ve had spies steal 30k gold in a recent game I did as Nubia. Pretty annoying, they should probably make it a flat amount instead of it scaling.

I'm not interested in removing GW theft. Sorry.

G

No interest in adding an option to turn off? (if it's even possible)

Just wondering, does anyone else ever put GWs in any other city other than their capital unless they just have no other option? GW's are hard enough to come by, that the risk of them being stolen with minimal repercussions doesn't justify the risk.

It's funny and strangely historically accurate playing Egypt because you will be over flowing with art GW due to their UB that are constantly being stolen...

Just wondering, does anyone else ever put GWs in any other city other than their capital unless they just have no other option? GW's are hard enough to come by, that the risk of them being stolen with minimal repercussions doesn't justify the risk.

When it comes to Great Works, all I do is hit that optimize button every time I get one. I never do any kind of real Great Work management. I do get GW stolen on occasion, but if I'm not the leader I find it doesn't happen often in most of my games. however, I find if I put my spies out as thieves I can collect a pretty steady supply of new Great Works.

No interest in adding an option to turn off? (if it's even possible)

It's funny and strangely historically accurate playing Egypt because you will be over flowing with art GW due to their UB that are constantly being stolen...

I personally haven't had too many stolen. Although I do tend to keep them I my capital unless I can get a theming bonus from having them elsewhere. Tends to maximize the culture/tourism I get from them.

That said, I would having great work theft removed (it mostly seems annoying to me). Doesn't sound like that's likely to happen though (for whatever reason).

I've never thought about how if affects Egypt though. Must be a real pain for/as them!

Top Bottom