Super Mariomod

alxalx250

Chieftain
I am new to modding and would like to start by doing a mario mod based on the nintendo games. Can anyone help?

I'm in!

im starting on a map. I haven't been able to find any Mario related units in the forums, those units are what I need the most. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Well I can help with ideas, and pcxs. But not units. Unfortunately. If you check my units' threads you'll understand why.
So what exactly are you planning overall?

Basically a two sided war (Peach, Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Toad, and Yoshi) against (Bowser, Wario, Waluigi, and some kopa). those two sides will be in locked alliances against each other and each will have their own units. In order to move on, I need someone who can make good units. Otherwise this'l stall.

heres a preliminary unit list, it will grow

- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Toad
- Yoshi
- Donkey Kong
- Bowser
- Wario
- Walugi

Minor units

- Boo
- Gomba
- Spriteling
- Blooper

The quickest route and probably easiest would be to convert some units from existing games; although it's quite a feat if you've never done it; it's taken me quite a while to get where I'm at now. There are likely Mario games around for PC. It would be much tougher to make units from scratch I would think (mostly to find Poser props if anything, not sure about models). I currently don't have time to invest in converting these myself though; although perhaps sometime in the future.

I'm afraid I think the chances of finding anyone who is both able and willing to make Mario units are probably very small. They would probably have to be modelled from scratch, which would be difficult and very time-consuming.

Well, in that case, I may as well learn how to make units. Anyone know where I start? Thanks.

The concept that I'm having difficulty with is deciding which units should go with a given civilization. Like, if Mario was a leader, I'd like him to have units different from Peach. And if Bowser was a leader, I'd like him to have different units than Wario. Also, any input as to which species of characters should be on Mario's side?

I'm sure there are enough creatures in the mushroom kingdom for each person to have one species each.
Mario could have Yoshi's(if you remove yoshi as a leader)
Luigi could have the Babies
Peach could have the citizens of mushroom kingdom (the toad species). But you'd probably have to remove toad as a leader.
Donkey Kong could have the Kong children. Also, I think he should be neutral and can join either side, as Donkey Kong is good in some games and evil in others.
Bowser can have Koopa Troopers.
Wario could have Boos.
Waluigi could have Goombas.

That would mean removing the minor characters, but i can think of some other major ones. Such as Daisy, Toadsworth, Pauline, Rosalina, Bowser Jr, The Koopalings and Petey Piranha.

Flag will be much easier. As if getting the units wouldn't be hard enough, getting moving LHs would be murder.

It will take a while, but I'll do the flags then, i agree that it would be too hard to make moving leaderheads. Georgestow, how confortable are you at making victory movies? I saw that you had made some before, and it would be cool to have one for this scenario. Also, what sort of wonders should we include?

I can give the victory thing a shot again, but I'd only like to do it if I can be assured this mod is going somewhere. 80% of mod ideas that are shown here never seem to materialise.

As for wonders, it depends. How is this mod going to work? Is it based around controlling the mushroom kingdom? Or about defeating all the other nations? What would the spaceship victory be(since you're suggesting a victory movie)? If the mod is based around one person (mario nation, luigi nation, bowser nation) controlling the whole mushroom kingdom, and they can build cities and stuff, the wonders should be buildings, like 'Bowser's Castle' or 'Comet Observatory'. However, if the aim of the mod is to 'beat each game' (possibly via spaceship victory) the wonders should be based around methods of beating the game, such as 'invent fire flower'.

I'd like some more info about the plot and such of this mod please. :D

Ok, so heres my idea, feel free to suggest changes. There will be two sides (Peach, Mario, Luigi) vs (Bowser, Wario) and then DK is neutral. The mod will be on a map of mushroom kingdom and it will be a conquest victory. Items such as fireflower and shells will be resources.

So each civilization is just a main character. Does this mean each civ is a leader that can command minions to attack other civs?
And do can they build cities or is it a question of taking preplaced cities?
What would the cities represent (think about what you would call each civs cities)?
What would the spaceship victory be?

If each civ is just a leader that can command minions, I suggest regicide too. That means when the leader falls, so does everything else.

On the unit making thing... why not just use non "3d" graphics and grab a sprite sheet... there are some wonderful mario sprites out there (I have thought seriously about doing a super smash bros. mod). you would be limited to two directions (left or right) for most sprites you find, but I honestly don't think it would be all that bad!

Yes, definately regicide. Now, there will be preplaced cities, would it be better to allow civs to build more cities though?

Top Bottom