Supremacy VC Back to Earth?

Since when has technological advancement been tied to availability of resources? It seems to me that scarcity is just as likely (or more likely) to drive advancement out of necessity as it is to slow development.

I'd argue that without carbon there wouldn't have been very efficient steam engines and without saltpeter firearms would have never come into play.
Many of our most important technological advancements have been a result of mere chance just because someone happened to try "something" on "something else" and therefore they wouldn't have happened if those "somethings" didn't exist.
For example if we have antibiotics now is because they existed already in molds. No molds, no antibiotics.

Now BE shows that there are resources in the new planets that do not exist on Earth and that those resources are pivotal for the development and sustenance of powerful military units. Whether it is logical to assume their existence or not in reality is another issue, by established canon they do.

There is also the fact that the new planets are apparently littered with leftovers of a very advanced alien civilization, which of course can cause several boosts in technological advancements.

Finally while technically purity and supremacy advancements shouldn't be logically precluded to Earth, the Harmony path heavily relies on the study of alien biology and is therefore completely precluded to Earthlings.

the Inflection point the developers refer to is the point where we wont have resources to sustain space travel and humankind will be stuck on Earth. When the ships leave Earth is in the edge of that but it doesnt mean the Earth is in chaos and mayhem and about like in AC's USS Unity launch. However by the time the Supremacy/Purity achieves victory I assume that Earth is about to cross/just crossed the Social inflection point and is in chaos

The ships left Earth around 2250, and arrived at the alien planet around 2600, having been in transit for almost 400 years. Why do people assume that Earth will still be primitive in c.2900 when you get around to opening the warp gate? If anything, the Earthlings should be 350 years more advanced than the colonists.

It's also a bit odd that Earth is frequently said to be "dying" and yet humans are still there 800 years later.

You are assuming the BE Warpgate doesn't connect to a different time (shortly after launch) Arioch.

You are assuming the BE Warpgate doesn't connect to a different time (shortly after launch) Arioch.
Yes, I am. I'm also assuming that it doesn't connect to Earth in an alternate universe... or Azeroth, or Hell, or...

What is the point of "saving" the people of Earth (whether you "save" them Purity style or Supremacy style) if they're not even the people from your universe/timeline?

As the world draws closer to Armageddon, the Mercurian Gate is completed, and from it pour legions of... ANGELs?

From the backstory I've read, the whole reason the seeding projects were started was because the nations of the world realized that they had only achieved a brief respite in the dark age that followed the Great Mistake, and that a crippling resource shortage will soon cause Earth to plunge into yet another dark age.

Since the first thing you do to accomplish a Supremacy/Purity VC is to establish FTL contact with Earth, things aren't so bad that no one on the other end is capable of receiving and replying to your signal (which due to it's FTL nature would have to be a tad more sophisticated then a HAM radio). However I think it's pretty plausible that a supremacy player would have greatly outstripped Earth's ability to defend against them. Especially since not everyone on Earth will necessarily resist "emancipation".

Are there details yet what exactly you have to do to achieve emancipation? Like, how many units you have to sent through the gate for how many turns etc?

Assuming Earth does not make significant advances in alternate energy by 2250, it is very plausible that technology advance will cease after some time soon after that point.

Without fuels to support modern agriculture (much less means to deliver food to population centers), the world would face widespread famine wiping out much of the world population. Nations collapse and people survive in small rural communities. The people left are struggling to get by, "relearning" the pre-industrial way of life that is long forgotten. There is little time for arts and sciences.

After hundreds of years and several generations, people have adapted. Perhaps they came up with some new ideas too, but nothing even close to what they could have achieved with the resources that were once available in the 21st century. Maybe a few states have spring up, and perhaps some aspiring people, knowing that the seeding happened hundreds of years ago, make an effort to contact them (or at least "listen" for their message).

Hearing of the conflict on the new world, and their vastly superior technology, these fragile nations may start considering their defense. By the time the warp gate opens, they are ready to organize a resistance at the very least. However, their defeat is inevitable. Their only real hope is to hold out and pray that their allies on the new world are able to eliminate the threat at its source.

Alternately, the humans on Earth have kept up technologically, but all of the new units they unlocked required floatstone, and they didn't have any. :)

Alternately, the humans on Earth have kept up technologically, but all of the new units they unlocked required floatstone, and they didn't have any. :)

Hah, I like this idea. Say, what's the atomic structure for these new minerals, and why haven't we found a way of synthesizing them?

Hah, I like this idea. Say, what's the atomic structure for these new minerals, and why haven't we found a way of synthesizing them?

Even if they found a way to synthesize them that would require a lot of energy, which they probably don't have.

Like we can synthesize all the gold that we want, except it costs more to produce it than the value of what will be produced. A lot more.

Top Bottom