Tactical Fun #297

My personal estimation is that the dice rolls were unlucky then,
I did not run the combat a few times, just took the first result but was pleased it is unlucky because combat is also about limiting luck.
Your method is fine, works well and yes Cleo never really stood a chance. I changed the scenario description to make it clear you are pushing an attack and need to sort this mess out as quickly as possible with the least damage.

It's not a competition to be right, it's a reminder as tech osen said, that archers are not just for shooting... also I think their positioning is better in my answer but that's just my view

you can also put in some variety in difficulty (i.e. AI combat bonus on king-diety) and maybe city siege situations (or defense). I'm looking forward to that! :banana:

and maybe city siege situations
Yes, there are some interesting tricks there. Of course the more complex, the less simple any solution is but it's about learning from each other not one right answer.
Also if someone came up with an interesting one they can PM me, it's not hard to build them in firetuner. Just cannot get GG bonuses to work there currently.

More info wanted
1) - SE is just coast yes ?
2) - W Mountain is by itself or part of a Mountain range ?
3) - How are we defining "efficient" ? Least amount of damage to your units ? Most amount of damage to their units ? Least turns used to destroy the scout force ?

I ask because if it is possible for Egyptian units to run away to the West, playing it slow holding defensive terrain and cutting off the (possible?) line of retreat to the west might be more efficient. Something like

Turn one - Position one Horseman on the forest tile nearest the two swordsmen, the other on the tile 1 W. Archer on forest no deer moves 1NW then fires on W Swordsman. Archer on deer forest fires at E Swordsman
Turn two - Swordsmen presumably attack Horsemen ? So now they each have damage from initial archer strike + attacking on their turn. Were we saying 4 hits to KO ? So one more archer shot each then each Horse KO's each swordsman leaving the Scout to finish off.
Alternatively they don't attack but then you should be able to slow death by archer them.

@dagriggstar
1. Yes but traversible snow that way
2. Is in fact volcanic natural wonder, no other bumpy bits.
3. I rewrote the description, you need to get past this defensive force quickly with the least damage.

You are correct, they can run but it's your move first. Speed is of the essence because you main force will arrive at Thebes pretty soon, slow archer death not best in this situation.

Good valid questions though.
Look at my spoiler for my choice and make up your own mind which you prefer.

Last edited:
My knowledge of the game mechanics and combat bonuses and such is still a bit sketchy, but I am a big believer in throwing all I can at one spot to break up a formation. Of course there are many nuanced variations on such tactics, but one should be sure to get at least one unit eliminated in the first strike.

For my part, I would have moved the eastern archer south one hex before firing and the other archer east one hex. Concentrate fire on the east swordsman, then attack with the east horse. Lastly, attack with the west horse.

There is the slimmest chance the swordsman would be destroyed with the first three attacks, allowing you to then attack the scout with the remaining horse. Unlikely, but possible and such possibilities need to be considered.

In any case, I would do everything possible to keep the archers screened from the swords by always maneuvering the horse accordingly.

I would move my threatened archer back, west horse over to flat to block for him, other horse down on flank of east sword, have both archers hit the east swordsman.

I may take one hit to a supported horse, a wounded sword hitting a full health/supported horse, but have gotten off 2 volleys for it, and can open with my archers again.

i thought about your solution and i'm not sure anymore if horsemen ignore ZOC?

i thought about your solution and i'm not sure anymore if horsemen ignore ZOC?
If you have all the DLC's I can load the save for you, it has a nuke scenario in it as well.... also if you look in this forum there is a ZOC question I answered after very heavy testing.... they do indeed ignore ZOC
upload_2017-10-12_21-30-15.png

Last edited:
If you have all the DLC's I can load the save for you, it has a nuke scenario in it as well.... also if you look in this forum there is a ZOC question I answered after very heavy testing.... they do indeed ignore ZOC
need to look up that ZOC thread then, something many people underestimate in importance i can imagine!

Move left archer NE, keep the right archer where he is, move the left archer NE, flank the rightmost enemy sword with 2 horses, focus that one down first.

EDIT: looked at Victoria's idea, its superior to my idea and I like what the aggressive flanking did. I prefer kiting backwards when possible; Swords bashing in archers is not pretty.

strange... do we have to attack swordsman this round? My instinct (but then again I fight mainly defensive wars) left archer NE shoot, right archer shoot at same sword, then both horses kill scout (which they should be able to do).

Anticipate that next turn AI will send one sword into archer (which should have no trouble surviving), one sword into horse (but this one your horses will be connected and get +2 while his sword will get no flank bonus). Then my turn again, two archers into the sword I've pulled into my archer, and left horse circle around the other swordsman to deal finishing blow, other horse run away. This should end turn with her only one sword left but that sword has nothing in range to attack now so she moves. Then two free archer shots and horse to finish.

That way I think my archer that was wounded should promote. So damage received is minimal.

You are England and Cleo's left flank defence force has found your flank attack. How would you fight the next turn to quickly kill the opposition to get to Cleo in the best shape? Imagine all the ice is flat, no hills.... My answer in spoiler below may not be best, it's just my choice.

View attachment 478667
Retreat archer #1, shoot sword.
Archer #2 hold, shoot sword.
Move horse #1 to woods where archer #1 was. Wait.
Move horse #2 forward, attack wounded sword.
If sword is dead, hold horse #1, If sword is alive, finish it with horse #1.
Next turn soften sword #2 with x2 archer fire. Then dispatch with horses.

As Ripley from the movie Aliens says, "It's the only way to be sure."

Edit: After looking @ Victoria's moves I am still making the same moves as I am a defensive player by nature. My archers are back out of harms way and the horses can retreat if necessary. 1 sword down.
Edit2: I suppose there's some chance of the whole thing going horribly badly if the units are all green (specifically the archers).
Edit3: Now that I think on it, why attack with the horses at all? Move horse #1 to the woods, horse #2 to interdict sword access to archers, and sit and wait, heal the horses, while firing with the archers.

Spoiler :
Inked#297_LI.jpg

Last edited:
My initial statement was it was Cleo’s defence force, if you defend the defence force has won;).
You should start another thread devoted to strategy. Another question might be what is she defending in the snow, and more to the point, what am I doing down here attacking her in this rubbish area ;)?

One archer and one horse would probably not be enough to kill one sword. Then:

Retreat the left archer 1NE and both archers shoot the right sword, and the right horse finishes him off.
The left horse moves 1SE into the forest and slams into the left sword to soften it.

Next turn will be mopping up, if the scout does not run away too far.

I agree with this approach. That is what I would have chosen.

The answer is here, do not look if you do not want to
Its just my answer, I am not the best player.. .
Spoiler :

First move all into position so maximum flanking is gained
The two archer shots get no flanking bonus but they count as flanking units for the horsemen
Then attack with the woods horsemen first as he will take more damage so has better defence terrain

View attachment 478674

and finally finish with the other horse... Cleo stands no chance now
Finishing position tight and well supported. The horseman in the woods has 2 supporting units and the one in the open has 3.
View attachment 478675

It may not be the best answer but it hopefully helped you with combat a bit
replace the scout with a level 4 spear and England has issues
If people liked it I guess I can do others but got to work now

Impressive, I stand corrected. I would have taken more turns to accomplish that feat. I would never have thought about a flanking bonus in my defense strategy. Thank you for explaining the reason for the strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So where are the other 296 Tactical Funs? I came late to this discussion, but it looks fun! I did a search in the forum for other threads like this but only found one.

Top Bottom