Take-Two Finances Follow-Up

The sad thing is that there are many good concepts for games that could do with a bit of updating and rebuilding that are actually fun. For me the late eighties/early nineties had a many games that you don't really see now. A short list of ones that I would go back to

Populous/populous II
Magic carpet
Dungeon keeper
Dungeon master
Ascendancy
Virus
Sim city
Transport tycoon
Rollercoaster tycoon

Need something with a bit more depth and strategy than popcap (which are fun and cheap). Monster hunter 2 freedom is quite good (and I can play it while I commute)

Perhaps we need expiring patents (like in the medical world) so that people can recycle good concepts.

Perhaps we need expiring patents (like in the medical world) so that people can recycle good concepts.

Patents do expire. Like copyright, the original idea was to provide a 'short-term' advanatge for the author/inventor, but the ultimate purpose was to facilitate moving creative ideas into the public domain. Unfortunately, corporations, especially certain very large ones, see them only in terms of how much money they can make, so have bribed lobbied government officials to distort copyright and patent law to make them effectively non-expiring.

Sorry, that rant is worth an entire thread, or two. ;)

Random anecdote:
I believe I read that Take-Two (or maybe Rockstar) greatly overestimated what the initial sales would be for Grand Theft Auto IV.[/QUOTE]

Take-Two OWNS Rockstar Games so if Take-Two goes down so does Rockstar.:)
Personally, I think both companies make o.k. games but Rockstar has been makeing them horrible. I also don't remember Take-Two doing any games since civ rev, and their "biggest" project is bioshock 2:sad: so they could be losing profit, revenue, ect. on that game's production along with the not-so-many-games part.

If take-two does go down, i wonder if steam or valve will purchase it, or someone who makes good games and not for the money, like gabe newell when he made half-life 2, left 4 dead and team fortress 2. IF they won't take it, I wonder if anyone else who made good games will.

That would be a logical move, I'd think. Valve has good ideas, though it seems like it takes forever to get them published (Where's the next Half-Life? ;) ). More manpower would help them out.

Not wishing ill for Take-two, though. And I disagree that RockStar sucks.

Though it's curious why they have problems regardless of the economy.

I'd shudder if EA tried to make an updated Civ. It'd be CivRev....even dumber, and in 5 expansions!

EDIT: Insightful analysis, DrJest.

That would be a logical move, I'd think. Valve has good ideas, though it seems like it takes forever to get them published (Where's the next Half-Life? ;) ). More manpower would help them out.

Not wishing ill for Take-two, though. And I disagree that RockStar sucks.

Though it's curious why they have problems regardless of the economy.

I'd shudder if EA tried to make an updated Civ. It'd be CivRev....even dumber, and in 5 expansions!

EDIT: Insightful analysis, DrJest.

I wonder if Ubisoft will try.:rolleyes:
Now THAT would be interesting, seeing as they HAVE done games similar to civ before. Granted it would be different:confused:, it just wouldn't be EA or some other sorry company.;)

No offence to EA, love some of their gamse, just... some really are low and awefull.:cry:

I'd buy CIV 5 . cant be worse than BTS :)

Ascendancy
:bowdown:
plain awesome game!! so many toolz of destruction:D too bad the ai is dumb as hell:mad:
the background music is cool too!:thumbsup:

i heard that, the SimCity franchise is dead. the last one was SimCity4, as i recall: too complicated for the casual crowd, even too complicated for me. the non-casual gamers did not cover the expenses. i think that SimCity2000 is da best in the series judging by the balance of complicity and fun

you forgot to mention the CtP series: it is dead too! not that i liked the evolution vector of CtP -> CtP2, but still... too bad there will never be a CtP3:sad:

also Conquest of the New World is a great strategy:thumbsup: i wonder to whom Interplay sold it's right to on this one....

i have a gut-feeling that the main-stream Civ franchise might meet the same fate as the SimCity franchise:sad:

as to Take2: GTA IV + addons("Chinatown" or something like that :dunno:) should pull them out of their financial misery

The thing that is kinda mysterious to me is that all of Take-Two's games are fairly successful as far as I know. I've heard of pretty much all of them at least. So the question is, what are they spending their money on? Is this company led by a bunch of young guys who party in style? Are the Rockstar guys travelling the world drinking expensive liquor and trashing rental yachts? Where is the money going?

It seems there are further developments on the Take-Two front.

Famed investor Carl Icahn some time ago acquired an 11 percent stake in the company. He leveraged that position to make changes to the board... including putting his son on it. Interesting times await us, friends.

There's an article on Gamespot about it here.

The thing that is kinda mysterious to me is that all of Take-Two's games are fairly successful as far as I know. I've heard of pretty much all of them at least. So the question is, what are they spending their money on? Is this company led by a bunch of young guys who party in style? Are the Rockstar guys travelling the world drinking expensive liquor and trashing rental yachts? Where is the money going?

I can think of a GREAT many reasons.:mischief: In fact, a few years back my fathers company he was programming for was run by complete idiots that would rent super expensive yachts and all that. They used the COMPANY's card instead of their own and my dad left just before they went bankrupt.:lol: Sad what people do with thier greed....:(

Top Bottom