Tanelorn's Fleet

Jason class LST (tank landing ship) x5 1994–present.
1994, eh? Bit late for what would have appeared in a 1974 Cyprus conflict scenario? Would the Greek intervention be coming on old British transport ships, then, or what?

No, it was the WW2 LSTs you can find in Fairline's WW2 American collection.
Eight former United States Navy LST Mark 2.
Lesvos ex-USS Boone County was actually in the Paphos area carrying replacement personnel to the ELDYK, the permanent Greek military force based in Cyprus. There she attacked the Turkish Cypriot garrison of Paphos with her 40 mm gun and forced them to surrender.
My dad took me onboard one at the Park of Maritime Tradition in Floisvos when I was a kid. I have a fond memory of trying a huge MkII talker helmet for size, I didn't know what it was.
Six former Royal Navy LST Mark 3 had already been retired by 1964.

Last edited:

The Sava class was a class of two Yugoslav diesel-electric attack submarines built during the late 1970s and early 1980s. They were intended as a replacement for the aging Sutjeska-class submarines. Compared to the similar, earlier, three Heroj class subs, the Sava class was 5m longer and six torpedo tubes instead of four.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Sava Class.png
    Tanelorn Sava Class.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 332

a) Small size Osa II missile boat (32 built for the USSR and 91 exported to 13 other navies) and b) Finnish Turunmaa-class pair of fast ASW gunboats (1969–2002)

Attachments

• Tanelorn 1989 2F.png
    Tanelorn 1989 2F.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

Nereus class sub (x4: Nereus 1930-1947, Glaucus II † 1942, Proteus † 1940, Triton † 1942). Improved Loire – Simonot 1928 600 Series Circe/ Katsonis class design.
Averof armored cruiser 1911- 1952, now a museum
Yavuz battlecruiser, 1911 as Goeben, 1914-1950

Attachments

• Tanelorn Aegean 1940 bits.png
    Tanelorn Aegean 1940 bits.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
This might be the place to ask something I used to know. What is the prefix that Japanese warships used in WW2? US is USS, British HMS etc.
All of the many sources I've read on the issue use, "IJN <ship name>."

What is the prefix that Japanese warships used in WW2?
It seems japaneses didn't use prefixes on warships, kanjis allowing distinctions for same "names".
I read european later used HIJMS, His Imperial Japanese Majesty's Ship, copied from british' designation.

On the other side, their civilian ships seemed to have "-maru" as a suffix ?

It seems japaneses didn't use prefixes on warships, kanjis allowing distinctions for same "names".
I read european later used HIJMS, His Imperial Japanese Majesty's Ship, copied from british' designation.

On the other side, their civilian ships seemed to have "-maru" as a suffix ?
So, are the historical sources in English using, "IJN <ship name>" a conceit or term of convenience?

So I'm better informed, but no further ahead it seems. There are a couple of ships in the 1937 scenario - the carrier Hosho and the cruiser Izumo - which operated off China until Pearl Harbor. I guess IJN is for Imperial Japanese Navy, but not necessarily used as a prefix for individual ships. Too bad. I like the "conceit" as Patine calls it.

The Minerva class is a series of coastal ASW corvettes of the Italian Navy, built during the 1980s and 1990s. The ships have fairly good speed and armament, but lack anti-ship missile capabilities. Four ships of this class are now active with Bangladesh as offshore patrol vessels.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Minerva Corvette.png
    Tanelorn Minerva Corvette.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 95
This might be the place to ask something I used to know. What is the prefix that Japanese warships used in WW2? US is USS, British HMS etc.
Japanese warships in WW2 (and in the Imperial Navy before) had no prefix. The prefix HIJMS“ („His Imperial Japanese Majesty's Ship“) and the prefix „IJN“ („Imperial Japanese Navy“, was used by some mostly English speaking externe authors, but not by the navy itself. Why should Japanese ships carry a prefix of a strange language in strange letters ?

A list of ship prefixes can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix and in the case of the Imperial Navy of Japan in the German wikipedia more clearer here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Präfixe_von_Schiffsnamen

Because it's a scenario in a strange language by a strange designer? ;)
The Gaijan Scenario Maker strikes back with the force of a foregn Kaiju. :p

Top Bottom