• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .
Taurus

Taurus 1.02

I'm going to go with on big displays it's hard to tell apart.
The FoR options tab problem seems to be another Play Now problem. Don't have it fully confirmed, but at least every time I've tried Play Now in that exe session that's happened; whereas the only times it's worked have been when not having Played Now.
I compiled the dll after only changing the player cap; didn't remove anything. The size was 4.96 vs the original's 4.98. Should I be concerned about that at all?

Last edited:
does Bug show the information from "ho ho ho, I have an archer" anywhere as "best military unit" or similar? If not I'd make that suggestion to save time reopening diplo until it displays.

I'm going to go with on big displays it's hard to tell apart.
A slightly bigger bite doesn't seem to help much (mock-up attached). Maybe food lost through negative health should just be shown as a food icon with a negative number. That's the only thing the eaten-food icon is used for: when previewing the effects of worker builds and city buildings, and when breaking down a city's net food yield.
The FoR options tab problem seems to be another Play Now problem. Don't have it fully confirmed, but at least every time I've tried Play Now in that exe session that's happened; whereas the only times it's worked have been when not having Played Now.
Was going to take a first look at this, and I don't even see FoR listed when I go via Play Now (screenshot attached). Nor Maze, Ring_World or Balanced – which the mod doesn't even touch. Is that what the isAdvancedMap functions is for ... nope, adding that function doesn't cause Maze to appear. :undecide: I don't suppose you've changed anything to be able to select FoR via Play Now? Oh, I guess you're saying that accessing the Play Now screen - selecting whichever map - may later cause problems with FoR on the Custom Game screen. That sounds like an issue that could've escaped or eluded the script's authors.
I compiled the dll after only changing the player cap; didn't remove anything. The size was 4.96 vs the original's 4.98. Should I be concerned about that at all?
Seems a little counterintuitive and, for AdvCiv, my 48-civ DLL is a tiny bit larger than the 18-civ DLL. That being said, the max-players/ teams preprocessor defines are used in a lot of for loops (most of which I've replaced at some point in AdvCiv edit: i.e. they probably don't affect the file size in the case of that mod), and it's not so clear how compiler optimizations play out for different values. 18 iterations might get optimized by triplicating the body and running only 6 iterations or something like that, which may result in slightly more verbose binary code than with a higher limit. But the size difference could also be due to the exact version of the libraries we each use. I've been using these specific versions: https://github.com/f1rpo/BtSGameCoreDLLDepends
But I don't think this matters (even if it should slightly affect the DLL size) so long as compilation succeeds without warnings. And my DLLs on GitHub use the FinalRelease build configuration, but I'm guessing that you've used that one as well because, otherwise, I'd expect the difference in file size to be greater.
does Bug show the information from "ho ho ho, I have an archer" anywhere as "best military unit" or similar? If not I'd make that suggestion to save time reopening diplo until it displays.
I would've expected that info on the Strategic Advantages tab, but it's apparently not there. In a test (screenshot attached), Boudica brags about her Gallic Warrior, but the screen doesn't show it. Ideally, perhaps, an alert could (additionally) inform the player when the AI starts announcing a new unit, but I don't think any modder will want to go to such lengths. In AdvCiv, I'm already letting the AI brag with 100% odds (instead of 25%) when it has gotten a new unit since the last meeting. Not really in the spirit of BUG. I think the units should just be placed in the "Known" column of "Strategic Advantages".

Attachments

• food-eaten_mockup.jpg
    food-eaten_mockup.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 15
  • map-selection.jpg
    map-selection.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 13
  • strategic-advantages.jpg
    strategic-advantages.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Oh, I guess you're saying that accessing the Play Now screen - selecting whichever map - may later cause problems with FoR on the Custom Game screen. That sounds like an issue that could've escaped or eluded the script's authors.
Yeah, that's the problem. I can't get maze and this one to show up in the play now screen either, but stuff like mapscriptools maps do. :hmm:
I've also noticed that even though Big and Small has the sealevel dropdown enabled, it doesn't do anything; and Arboria disables both sealevel and climate, but both actually do affect it. Thinking changed versions could go in the mod.
Also started fixing the Tectonics map to make the land count somewhat consistent relative to map size by shrinking the grid for some options like Mediterranean and lakes...by default at huge they have 2000 more land tiles than the earth setting...
Here's a 50 civ dll for version 1.03 for anyone to use. Haven't made any other changes to it.

Also: information for the Advanced Combat Odds feature seems to have been left out of the help file.

Last edited:
Cool that you're getting stuff done while I'm being all talk. :thumbsup:
I've given the K-Mod version of Big & Small ("Not-too-big-or-small") an operational sea level setting, so I should be able to port that easily to Big & Small. As always, with map script inclusions, this will inadvertently bump it up in the map selection dropdown, but, via PrivateMaps, Fractal and Pangaea will be kept at the very top, and Big & Small is a pretty popular script. Good to know about Arboria.

Tectonics – the options do say (in their names) that e.g. Earthlike and Lake have different land-sea ratios; but it may well be that Mediterranean is too extreme or arbitrary. I've noticed that the Earthlike water percentage aren't nearly accurate either and seem to vary a lot. My notes about changes I made to Tectnoics in AdvCiv also say that the Tectonics generates a lot more rivers and elevation compared with the original scripts. Though this may be part of its charm.

The BUG help file was discontinued in Oct 2008, so none of the BULL features are documented. Might accomplish more to improve the help text on the BUG Options screen. I've already revised many of the texts on that screen in AdvCiv, but I've also rearranged it a lot, which BULL users won't appreciate (ACO tab attached for example).

Attachments

• aco-menu.jpg
    aco-menu.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 3
Tectonics – the options do say (in their names) that e.g. Earthlike and Lake have different land-sea ratios; but it may well be that Mediterranean is too extreme or arbitrary. I've noticed that the Earthlike water percentage aren't nearly accurate either and seem to vary a lot. My notes about changes I made to Tectnoics in AdvCiv also say that the Tectonics generates a lot more rivers and elevation compared with the original scripts. Though this may be part of its charm.
The ratios are labelled, but the overall grid size should change based on the option. ie, at Huge size every option should generate at least roughly 2000 land tiles and not more than about 3800. So the grid size should be bigger for 70% water and reduced a lot for mediterranean etc. Otherwise, to get a size for mediterranean which won't be abnormal, the map size option has to be used, which makes all the modifiers skewed from the worldinfo xml.

Top Bottom