Tax etc -175BC

Er, Well ... now what?

• I want to Subvert the Viking City ~ $152 +-100, whatever!

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • I want to capture the Viking City, now or soon...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want to destroy the Viking City. Don't waste $tax on them.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Let's wait, bribe some Nones, then take care of Roskilde.

• Perhaps we can bring up an Archer from LC and/or CJ.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Set 70% Tax, 1 or 2 turns

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Set 60% Tax, 2 or 3 turns

• Set 50% Tax, 3 to 5 turns

• Set 30% Tax, Max Science as now.

• Back to Max Science once we have about $175 gold

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Keep a balance of $100 gold

• Keep a balance of $200 gold

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Keep a balance of $300 gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Focus on building new cities, the Vikings can wait.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Focus on building Trade Caravans, the Vikings can wait.

• River Bridge City is a fine site, SE of Forest, SE of LC's Oasis

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • See my post below on a new or existing City Plan for Chryshe

• Nemo, give us some gruesome polls on domestic matters

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No! A Poll Tax will make the people riot! Look what happened when Thatcher tried it! :lol:

Attachments

• polltax.gif
    polltax.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 120
My view on the Roskilde situation: Find out the cost to subvert (note - it will be cheaper if you try and enter from the south or west me-thinks). If we don't have the money, then garrison troops around, and keep the diplomat on the north-side. In case of reinforcements / boats, try bribing those. Suggest that we put diplo and defensive unit in forest for the defensive bonus.:)

So far everyone wants to subvert the Viking city and kick up the tax. Which is ok by me. For spice, I voted to destroy it, bribe Nones, bring up archers, Max Science, keep $200, and focus on building new cities -- just for the record.

We do all agree on River Bridge City, one simplification of a complicated world.

I was hoping someone, anyone, would develop a new city plan, in this thread, or Elsaak's North Province thread.

Even if the city city lies in a bad spot, I think we should bribe it and build a few settlers in it, until it is disbanded. And in the meantime rehome all the units we get when buying it. Some city needs to build these settlers anyway, and we don't need to transport them out to the peninsula.

The settlers we build to disband Roskilde could populate the peninsula, rather than rush settlers up from the south. Opinions?

I realise that if we buy the city now then it will be at size 1 and potentially unable to support the units it has. I seem to recall that it doesn't access the whales square so that could be a problem. If we do get it straight off though, we will remove any immediate threat the Vikings pose and set back their westward expansion plans. I suggest that we need to settle the northern peninsula as soon as possible and that the best way to do this would be to bring a settler north. That way we can get whatever trade we want out of the size 1 Roskilde for however many turns, send one of that city's troops to accompany the new settler north and defend the new city and then create a new settler from Roskilde, abandoning the woeful city site and building a new one next door with whaling options! :)

GaryNemo (11:10 AM) :
Some interesting complicated plans about the Vikings. I haven't really been following it, but plan to post a poll much later today, which includes options of sending Settlers walking up there. Hope you understand what all they're posting about.
Jayne (11:10 AM) : Yes, I'm following it
GaryNemo (11:11 AM) :
Good. Anything in particular you want polled? I'm thinking just one, with just crucial matters. Hopefully. They said, gruesome is ok -Lol!
Jayne (11:13 AM) :
Mainly, do we bribe or attack? If we bribe, do we disband? What do we build?
Jayne (11:13 AM) :
I like the idea of building another town up there so we don't have to send any units we inherit too far to rehome them before disbanding Roskilde
GaryNemo (11:14 AM) :
I think I already posted a poll on Subvert/Bribe vs Attack. More details, someone else needs to poll.
Jayne (11:15 AM) :
Is Roskilde in Chryshe? Or is it a new province? Perhaps a Governer can post the specifics
GaryNemo (11:16 AM) :
Domestic matters? Like releasing particular Settlers to walk up there? The Dellham Settler, either Road to LC, or walk up to the Viking area. I haven't seen MonkE lately...
Jayne (11:16 AM) : Nor have I.
I imagined maybe Roskilde would build a settler to found a new city on the peninsula
GaryNemo (11:18 AM) :
Not sure what they are planning. What to do the next 5-7 turns is all I really care about. Like, sending a Settler this way, or that. Immediate stuff.
Jayne (11:18 AM) : Perhaps include that in your poll?
GaryNemo (11:19 AM) :
I'll try to think of something about that... but I do not follow the war logic, nor have the time for it now. Glad others are handling that!
Jayne (11:20 AM) :
I must admit when I play myself I do bribe a lot. I seem to be jinxed in attacking. I regularly lose!!! lol
GaryNemo (11:20 AM) :
In Gotm21, I just Bribed a Zulu Phx for $383! Very happy to get it for that price!

Jayne (11:29 AM) :
Some people have mentioned if you approach a city from different squares the price for bribing changes? Does that really work? I thought it was just to do with where the city was.
GaryNemo (11:30 AM) :
I think it works. Price based upon location of Diplomat, not target city...

Maybe a compromise. We might need to increase the tax rate slightly, but still pull the units back a square. Wait 3 or 5 turns and see if a unit comes out that we can bribe. If not, we should have enough for the city.

That will allow us to maintain our science a little better, give the Chariot some time to heal, allow us to move more units up North, and give us more options on dealing with the Vikings.

As a side note, any units that are in the city when we bribe it will be ours. So, if we think the Vikings are going to send more troops to the city, waiting until they arrive would be all the better. :)

If/when we capture/bribe Roskilde, I agree with Jayne, let the cty produce the settlers that will cover the peninsula. Either before it's relocated or before, doesn't matter too much. ;)

Originally posted by GaryNemo
I was hoping someone, anyone, would develop a new city plan, in this thread, or Elsaak's North Province thread.
:confused:
Didn't I make a city plan just a few weeks ago? I think it's still pretty accurate.

Top Bottom