"Tech jumping"

Lol sorry for going a bit out of topic but wow hi leexp nice to see you here on the civfanatics boards too :) Havent seen too many of us "good" ladder players on the civfanatics boards. Maybe we should write a guide for the multiplayer community here on civfanatics if we get a lot of the good ladder players to comment etc...

Agreed!! this forum needs a better strat section for multiplayer, Nice too see you too Willburn. Ohyea, so this stays a strat thread....
Tech jumping plus letting your population grow while making a worker/settler equals your opponent bringing a sword to a gunfight.

Ladder player cleanup on thread 5! I don't know how all these civfanatics people play so much singleplayer without getting bored.

Hey speaker can't wait for the next ip game was real funny.. BTW nice site you have there

I definitely see the merits of tech jumping, and, while it's kind of annoying, there are lots of little details that aren't going to be patched away. So, if you want to be good at Civ IV, you're gonna need to know this stuff.

Here's a new can of worms: Since the proposed idea is to situationally cut back on your tech rate so you get a lot of overflow (probably from tech that is being researched with a 1.4 or 1.6 modifier) which gives you a boost in your first turn of researching your next tech, how about having no (or less) overflow so you don't dump "1.0" or "1.2" overflow into a "1.4" or "1.6" tech?

Example time. You have researched Fishing and The Wheel, are about to finish Agriculture, and plan on researching Pottery next. Fish, Wheel and Agr are all prereqs to Pottery, making it (in this situation) a 1.6 tech. If you just plow on through Agriculture at 100% and have some overflow, your first turn of 1.6 Pottery research will be cluttered with 1.0 (or maybe 1.2 if techs without prereqs are still "1.2s") overflow.

I can't test this out yet (waiting on video card and RAM) but it seems feasible. If you can slingshot for more overflow then can't you line it up for less? This would be really doable if you can figure out how many beakers you need to finish a tech. I know city screens at least show how many beakers each city is pumping out but I don't know if there is an empire-wide beaker count.

Also, since we're on the topic of crappiness at this forum (although it's the best one I've found so far), does anybody recommend any other forums?

friskymike said:
On the subject of micromanaging production at high levels, I remember reading a tactic that was to always run science at either 100%, or 0%, due to the fact that Civ always rounds non-integers down. Doing this I guess you would save a small number of bulbs and gold in the long run for disappearing in the rounding black hole, does anyone have experience with it?

I am trying it for my first time on a Monarch Earth game playing the Chinese and it *appears* to have made a substantial difference. I also like the fact that you usually have a ton of money in your treasury using this method (since you build up a large number running at 0% science then run 100% science for a long period as that money spends down).

As for this strategy, it does seem like a bug (especially given that they fixed a similar problem with production carry over) but a relatively minor one. Most people probably derive this benefit accidentally every game so the amount of additional benefit you would get from focusing on the strategy is probably negligible.

hyogoetophile said:
Here's a new can of worms: Since the proposed idea is to situationally cut back on your tech rate so you get a lot of overflow (probably from tech that is being researched with a 1.4 or 1.6 modifier) which gives you a boost in your first turn of researching your next tech, how about having no (or less) overflow so you don't dump "1.0" or "1.2" overflow into a "1.4" or "1.6" tech?

Example time. You have researched Fishing and The Wheel, are about to finish Agriculture, and plan on researching Pottery next. Fish, Wheel and Agr are all prereqs to Pottery, making it (in this situation) a 1.6 tech. If you just plow on through Agriculture at 100% and have some overflow, your first turn of 1.6 Pottery research will be cluttered with 1.0 (or maybe 1.2 if techs without prereqs are still "1.2s") overflow.

I can't test this out yet (waiting on video card and RAM) but it seems feasible. If you can slingshot for more overflow then can't you line it up for less? This would be really doable if you can figure out how many beakers you need to finish a tech. I know city screens at least show how many beakers each city is pumping out but I don't know if there is an empire-wide beaker count.
Just like the OP idea, this is of benefit if you are not maintaining 100% science continually. On the turn you research a tech which doesn't have a bonus, you should cut back the slider as per CIV3 to divert as much commerce as you can to the treasury to fund your deficit research on your techs with higher bonused that follow.

Willburn said:
Basically the trick is this:
You may use the carryover effect of techs with prerequisite bonus (see the other article) more efficent if you carryover to a none prerequisite's tech for one turn, then switch back to a prerequisite's tech and do a maximum carryover on the none prerequisite's tech again. (And repeat until none prequiste's tech is finished)

This bug has been fixed in patch 1.61.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOring
i would expect the geek knight to be facinated with integers and beakers...

Top Bottom