Tech speed - can't get to nukes!

Bufus

Chieftain
Hi all,

I love VP, and have been playing on Standard speed, and though I've committed most of my cities to research in the mid-late game, I *still* can't seem to get to the necessary techs to build nuclear weapons (in addition to other techs).

Is this common? FWIW, I'm also leading the science race in my games, so other civs aren't either. I'm in a game now, in the year 2008, and still no Manhattan Project.

Any fixes/mods to balance, or this just atypical?

Thanks for any insights!

It's 2008 in the game and you have not reached the tech required to build the Manhattan Project yet? Yes, (not to sound like an <snip>) but you are probably doing something horribly wrong then most likely. Something is weird for sure.

That said if you are the tech leader and nobody else is then it's not really much of an issue what ever year it is in game. The year in game doesn't have any real relevance to anything really. In my current game the Manhattan Project was completed in 1834 and by the early 1900's we had stealth technology, giant death robots and x-com units running around.

So without knowing more it sounds like you just need to practice a bit more.

Moderator Action: Please use family friendly language on the forums, and do not attempt to bypass the autocensor. - Recursive

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sure practice can’t hurt, but your response is actually encouraging. Given that I’m the tech leader, the entire game feels like an outlier based off what you said.

And the more I think about it, my world has been in a state of almost perpetual war (perhaps the most I can remember), which I’m sure has delayed progress across the board.

No mods outside of VP, and unsure of the current turn. But I just discovered whatever tech unlocks Light Tank units, in case that’s helpful.

Again, I think this is a case of (deliberately) packing my game with warmonger civs, and having all civs impeded by war-machine playstyles and the effects of that, though we'll see -- will preroll later today!

Last edited:
If you just unlocked light tanks then you're still another tech level away from nukes. You need to research atomic theory tech.

If you just unlocked light tanks then you're still another tech level away from nukes. You need to research atomic theory tech.
Thanks for this. Yeah, knew I was close. I just hadn't play far enough to know whether or not this was an atypical result from a tech standpoint. Will try another game with fewer serial warmongers to see (and my sense is that it will be a different result).

What difficulty level are you playing at?

I am assuming as you are tech leader (thus AI's are even worse) qand don't have nukes in 2008 you are playing on quite a low difficulty level?

Difficulty level will in a roundabout way have a dramtic impact on your research speed as at higher levels the AI's will tech faster and you will be pushed to keep up which will increase your tech level.

If your on a low difficulty level, even with VP then this scenario doesn't really surprise me. If your on probably king or above this would certainly surprise me as the AI should be speeding ahead with techs even if you aren't unless yo have done something to cripple them all like taking lots of their cities.

Re-reading your OP is this your first game of VP? If so this may just be a random is random freak occurance.

I assumed this was a regular occurrence for yourself but i think this is your first game and thus an isolated incident?

I am a bit surprised the AI isn't forcing you to tech faster. I play king a lot as i find it well balanced for the game setups i usually play and if i only just discovered light tanks at that point i would have been dead a long time ago.

Out of interest, what civs are in the game, how many cities do they have, have you taken many cities from the AI, what map are you playing?

Was wondering if you happened to have rolled all the worse AI opponents, are playing on a poor map like archipelago which isn't usually great for large cities due to very little land and been running over the AI's for example so the general game advancement was slow.
As already mentioned, if your in front of the AI's it doesn't really matter what turn/year it is apart from you may be a bit shocked next time if whatever is causeing the AI to be so slow doesn't occur again.

Top Bottom