Techs from goodie huts?

The chance to pop a tech from a hut decreases from Settler (20%) --> Noble (10%) but then stays the same 10% up to Deity plus the chances get even better for huts popped by Scouts.

Taken from Handicaps317.pdf.

Remember that you cannot get techs from goody huts at all under the harder difficuilties.

This is incorrect. The probability gets lower as the difficulty level advances but you can still get techs. All hail free Astronomy :)

Is there some factor that determines what you get from goody huts besides a dice roll? It seems that since I went from Monarch -> Emperor I've actually been getting more techs(I've played at least 5 games by now, so it can't be a fluke)

Some goody hut outcomes are invalid under certain circumstances ( CvPlayer::canReceiveGoody() ):
  • GOODY_BARBARIANS_WEAK / _STRONG -- game option No-Barbs or hut popped by culture or Scout/Explorer or no cities yet or just 1 city located at a plotDistance < 8
  • GOODY_HEALING -- hut popped by cutlure or the unit has more than 40 HPs (from CIV4GoodyInfo.xml)
  • GOODY_EXPERIENCE -- hut popped by cutlure or the unit can't be promoted or GameTurns < 10
  • GOODY_WARRIOR -- GameTurns < 20 or multi player game
  • GOODY_SETTLER -- game option OCC
  • GOODY_TECH -- no cities yet
In those events the game rerolls the dice up to NUM_DO_GOODY_ATTEMPTS = 10 (from GlobalDefines.xml), if no valid outcome is found in these 10 attempts the hut will just disappear without giving anything at all :(.

So in general the chances to pop a tech from a hut with a healthy Scout (-> no barbs and no healing) are:

This can of course be topped by popping huts via culture during the first 20 turns in an OCC game on Settler (4/14 = 28.57%) or in a regular game on Deity (2/9 = 22.22%). :D

Yeah my jaw dropped when I got astronomy from a goody hut once. Gotta love terra maps.

DOes that chart vary with the unit that pops the hut? warrior/scout/explorer

The chart in my first post gives the general distribution/likelihood of the 12 different events for popping a hut at the respective difficulty levels taken from CIV4HandicapInfo.xml. For each level there are 20 entries total, so in general the chance for a specific event/outcome is equal to the number of entries for that event divided by 20. E.g. the odds for popping a Settler from a hut in a Warlord game is at least 1/20 = 5%. Looking closer one finds that the odds increase under certain circumstances, since several events/outcomes become impossible -- that's what I described in my second post. In the above example popping a hut with a healthy Scout during the first 10 turns will render the events GOODY_HEALING, GOODY_EXPERIENCE, GOODY_WARRIOR and GOODY_BARBARIANS_WEAK / _STRONG impossible so the true chances to get a Settler from the hut are 1/14 = 7.14%.

The AI always plays on Noble. The level you play on can only influence the AI's chances indirectly as they will start with Scouts as their exploring units as a result of getting the free tech Hunting on levels > Monarch.

Top Bottom