Techs...

Edward The Big

Bob Crane's Tripod
How do you decide what you want to discover? Do you do as I do, and just go for the tech that takes the shortest amount of time to get? Or do you beeline for certain techs, leaving others behind? Or do you go for techs that give you the coolest stuff?

I'm playing in monarch difficulty and other civs always seem to be ahead of me in technology! Because of this, I have to do some beelining to get some advanced technologies before others, so I could do some trading... So basically I always try to be more advanced than them just to be few steps behind.

btw. it's quite annoying when you have a tech, that most civs don't have and you want to trade it, others say that "we fear that you are becoming too advanced" WTF! I'm many technologies behind others! DAmmit! This especially happens in more modern eras.

DrPep said:
"we fear that you are becoming too advanced"

Translation: We want to keep you stupid so that we can conquer you later.

Edward The Big said:
How do you decide what you want to discover? Do you do as I do, and just go for the tech that takes the shortest amount of time to get? Or do you beeline for certain techs, leaving others behind? Or do you go for techs that give you the coolest stuff?

Depends on the situation. When I expect a war, I beeline for military techs. When everything is peaceful, I focus on non-military techs. I rarely choose a tech just because it is the fastest to get though. I usually choose a tech because of its specific effects, e.g. I want to build the building it provides, or run its civic, or build its wonder, or ant another bonus (additional trade routes, additional health etc.), or I need it as a requirement for a tech I'm beelining to. On the higher difficulty levels, I sometimes research techs specifically because my rivals don't have them yet, and I can trade them for several techs at once.

Usually I end up picking several techs to focus on during the game. What techs I focus on is usually dependent on my Leader, Civ's UU, the terrain, my infrastructure, and the victory condition I'm aiming for.

If I'm an industrious leader, then a lot of the time, I will try to pick out a few wonders that I think will help further my cause, and then research for them. For leaders that start with Mysticism, I usually end up making a push for Polytheism (Hinduism).

Also, if I'm playing as Caesar, I usually end up making a fairly early push to Iron Working to allow me to build Praetorians. Similarly, with the Mongols, I end up making a push for Keshiks. Generally, I try to focus on getting the tech for my UU as soon as possible so that I can sustain their production for the longest possible time. Usually after I get a civ's UU, I stop military research until my opposition starts getting into a position where their military technology is equivalent to mine. This sustains my UU advantage for as long as possible.

The map also heavily affects how I research. On terra and continent maps, I usually make a generally strong push to acquire Optics and Astronomy relatively early for the Caravels and Galleons, respectively. If the map is particularly water-heavy, I may end up going and getting Frigates as well. On plains maps, I try to pick up horse-based military techs.

My infrastructure also forces a lot of my tech decisions. Picking up bronze working is particularly important in the early game for the benefit of increased production by chopping forests. If there are some luxury resources around that require a plantation, I try to pick up calendar fairly early. Wines require Monarchy. Animal Husbandry helps with cows and such. Hunting allows camps. Agriculture allows farms. Production can surge with a late game push towards Assembly Line followed by a push for Plastics to create the Three Gorges Dam to provide power to all of those Factories.

My decision on how to win also significantly affects my tech decisions. If I'm going for a Space Race victory, I like to beeline for whatever tech enables the Space Elevator (+50% spaceship production) after I get Rocketry (for Apollo Program). For diplomatic victories, I like to beeline for Mass Media to produce the UN. For domination/conquest victories I like to try to pick up Flight (fighters), Radio (bombers), the tech for infantry, the Pentagon, and tanks, before going for composites (for Modern Armor). I'm not particulary good at Culture victories, and haven't had one thus far. So I really can't give advice on that.

Other things I think about are the following...
If I have a 5xp unit, I like to go for Military Tradition quickly (for West Point).
Combustion is important late (for Oil).
After my initial research lines are complete, I like to go for Liberalism (free tech) and Economics (free Merchant).

I change the leader and map type often so I can't give you any hard and fast rules for researching. I've found that most of my research decisions are made on the fly in the face of my current game needs.

Hopefully the above hodgepodge of suggestions and ideas helps you a little bit.

-MM

It really depends. My recent game I have been very warlike, so I only go for the war ones. It is currently 1955, and I haven't discovered compass yet.

Funny, my first game I was culture heavy and worked to grow the culture of my key cities. During the game I was thinking, "Man, how can you get by in this game without focusing on CULTURE?" (playing as Spain)

Next game, I played as the Mongols and went for Keshiks and took a war tact with a concentration in economics to generate $$$. Culture wasn't even a secondary consideration this time and I never went for culture techs when there was an economic option. I'm doing great in that game too, and obviously with a very different strategy!

Recently ...

I tend to play on random. If I start with a civ that has Mystiscm (sp?), I head straight for one of the two starting religions. Otherwise I head for Bronze working, so I can chrun out a worker and start hacking down forests.

Then I look for Wheel (for roads and connecting resources, esp. if stone/marble is present, because I'll be building a wonder soon), and typically Masonry to mine any stone/marble, Irrigation a little later on if there is farming material around, Animal Handling if there are animal resources around and so on. Essentially ... I look at the surrounding area to see what I need *now*.

I like to build the Pyramids and/or Stonehenge depending on the presence of stone/marble once I have my second city founded, so I do everything I can to ensure I have the techs to build them and mine to resources (and get them to the city).

Archery always features before I .... beeline for the Oracle, so I go for the required techs behind that), which will give a free technology and if I play my cards right, I grab Code of Laws, which will give me Confuscism (esp. important if I started out not grabbing an early religion).

I'll then work towards cash related techs if I need it, or keep things balanced until Liberalism is on the horizon, at which point I beeline for that to - again - grab a free tech by being the first.

usually go for techs with free stuff with it or techs that allow certain wonders. hmm..techs that enable certain unit or buildings depending on the situation is also a good choice.

I take the bottom/military beeline and try to get grenadiers early.

Psyringe said:
Depends on the situation. When I expect a war, I beeline for military techs. When everything is peaceful, I focus on non-military techs.

Well, I don't think so.

Top Bottom