Ten things you hate to see happening in the first 15 turns

1) Starting out in a jungle or barren ice plain with little/no resources.

#1 Hated thing - Jungle start: automatic Mr. Yuk in your city; forget about trying to explore for a better citysite w/ your settler (takes too long); it'll be centuries before you can make your capital city plot worthwhile.

More trees = more production.
I have settled in the jungles, and yes, there are resources there, you just have to adapt.

1. Monty, Shaka, and Julias start near you.
2. Barbarian uprising happens before you make your first archer.
3. starting in the middle of a desert, jungle, or tundra.
4. finding that the only copper on your continent is in shaka's bfc.
5. Mansa musa, huana capac, and hanabal are also on your continent.
6. you missed the GW when your in the middle of a large expense of barb territory.
7. An animal you missed earlier kills your first settler.
8. Thw only reascource near you is a calander reascource.

8. Thw only reascource near you is a calander reascource.

Why do Calendar resources appear before the research takes place anyway? Ok, so some weed tastes differently (spices) or puts some color on your legs when you get too close (Dyes) but people will only know when to plant those weeds hundreds of years after so why spot them in the Map before. What is the explanation for these against coper, horses (!!!) not being revealed right from the start?? :)

Why do Calendar resources appear before the research takes place anyway? Ok, so some weed tastes differently (spices) or puts some color on your legs when you get too close (Dyes) but people will only know when to plant those weeds hundreds of years after so why spot them in the Map before. What is the explanation for these against coper, horses (!!!) not being revealed right from the start?? :)

Because they realize the benefits of the plant, but don't yet know how to properly grow it in large quantities. Also I like that they appear sooner. Farm riverside dye or spices and you get a decent 3 food 3 commerce if you're financial. Sure beats working a regular farm.

Because they realize the benefits of the plant, but don't yet know how to properly grow it in large quantities. Also I like that they appear sooner. Farm riverside dye or spices and you get a decent 3 food 3 commerce if you're financial. Sure beats working a regular farm.

You're right :crazyeye:, those resources provide low benefit even without tech (+1 gold for dyes and +1 food for Sugar for example) which makes sense and provide high benefit with Calendar Tech (+more gold and general happy face distribution). Horses (from my original post) don't make sense to be revealed because without husbandry people cannot use them for any good use in any case, and you cannot mount those beasts (horseback riding) without domesticating them first. Gush :mischief: questioning Sid/Civ Tech tree at this stage is lame :eek:

Any Tech weirdness any one out there? Yes, the cannon thing in caravels before steel, those were of iron much heavier, that one is dead and buried.

My 2 cents to "Ten things you hate to see happening in the first 15(00) turns"

1. Not a single Gold/Gems/Silver/Fur/Ivory in my big 200 square miles big grass country( 1a. My big 200 square mile big grass country has only Banana/Spices/Sugar/Dye plenty (the Calendar thingies)
2. My brave (20 kills in a row) Warrior woodsmanII in forest hills fortified looses (once more) to a Barb Archer (this one must be hardcoded)
3. Bronze Working sprouts Copper, it is in my reach but ... the piece of metal is near Caty's Moscow or Williams Amsterdam (the same for Iron)
4. Scientific Method reveals 3 resources of Oil inside my borders :goodjob:... but they are on the sea :mischief: (4a: with no Uranium :mad:)
5. I'm on Emperor/Immortal and i'm (ALWAYS) last on score and 1/3 of Top scorer (Yes, i'm a masoquist)
6. I have 10 cities, all are Hindu, all my (pseudo)friends are Buda. Problem? All of them are a million miles away and will not convert me.
7. My friend is not of my religion, its ok I will make a bunch of missionaries and "conquer" his belief ... to find out N turns later that he has Theocracy. (Additional Problem: He was in the other side of the world - yes I should have looked before)
8. Finally I have Frigates!! :goodjob: ... Cathy has Destroyers :sad: (linked to 5 but look I'm not that bad, I won a diplo on Emperor :p)
9. I have a bunch of friends. They all share with me the last half bottom score (linked to 5 and 8).
10. I made it after those longs years!! (in Immortal) I have a decent defensive army, most cities are educated, pollution free and decently productive let's invade someone OHH nooo!!! They have 1000 Modern Armor, 50 Missile Cruisers, more 50 from were those 50 came from and look i'm next...!!! AAARGH

I Love CIV IV, best game ever! After CIV III (yes the 4 is after the 3)

I will be insanely happy getting Ragnar playing random leader.

I was playing with a girl on multiplayer(I know, right, a girl). Anyways she's not very good and neither am I. We had 18 civs on the map. She started next to me, which is rare in and of itself. She had a tribal village right outside her borders, which hadn't expanded yet. She hadn't claimed it because her warrior was running around somewhere else on the map exploring. So I decided to steal it from her. As soon as I walked over it, though, two barbarians came out. One was placed below the former tribal village and the other was placed just inside her territory, one tile from her only city. I'm sure you can all figure out what happened next lol.

I was playing with a girl on multiplayer(I know, right, a girl). Anyways she's not very good and neither am I. We had 18 civs on the map. She started next to me, which is rare in and of itself. She had a tribal village right outside her borders, which hadn't expanded yet. She hadn't claimed it because her warrior was running around somewhere else on the map exploring. So I decided to steal it from her. As soon as I walked over it, though, two barbarians came out. One was placed below the former tribal village and the other was placed just inside her territory, one tile from her only city. I'm sure you can all figure out what happened next lol.

The one time spawning barbs from a hut was a good thing.:crazyeye::lol::lol::crazyeye:

1. Barb event right at the border -- a rare occasion I'll use the world builder
  2. Scout killed by an animal very very early
  3. A decent start, then realize your capital is surrounded by a whole thick stretch of jungles
  4. A great floodplain start with stone or marble (great builder start), then see the ugly face of Montsy or Shaka (and Napolean is no better)
  5. Charlemagne, Sitting Bull, Toku, or Gilamesh, any kind of start

Top Bottom