Ten things you hate to see happening in the first 15 turns

10) When a civ by a miracle and for no reason by 2 turns, transform from a backward civ to the tech leader without anything to exchange...¬¬

Yeah, seriously. I don't understand how this happens. It happened in a game I played recently, and I am not sure how when I was ahead of him on every leg of the tech tree, and I could easily see he had no techs to offer to the other civs.

And let me add for annoying to see in the first 100 turns of the game: Losing the Pyramids on a MC-GE Gambit because your forge gets destroyed by a Hurricane. GRRRR.

1- starting with fishing but not beeing on the coast (or the contrary :D)

Disagree about the contrary (i.e. on coast, no fishing). Tech can always be researched, sure it is slower, but not the worst thing that can happen.

6- having a slave revolt
If you can have all prerequisites for slave revolt (Bronze Working, using slavery, have pops more than 8 in a city) by turn 15, then 1 or 2 turns of revolt is not the end of the world :lol::lol:

4) Surymanan as my VERY close neighbor.

Brammimond said:
2) Surymanan as my VERY close neighbor.

What do you guys have against Suryamanan. Ok, I just started a game with him and it is good fun to have size 12 cities by the time you hit the ADs, but I have never seen him as that much of an annoyance.

Yeah, seriously. I don't understand how this happens. It happened in a game I played recently, and I am not sure how when I was ahead of him on every leg of the tech tree, and I could easily see he had no techs to offer to the other civs.

He probably got a GS or similar and lightbulbed something he could trade to the other civs.

Some are the first 15 turns, others first 100 or so.

1) Starting out in a jungle or barren ice plain with little/no resources.
2) Starting out with only one other Civ on a small continent. You know you'll have to wipe the bugger out if you want any decent-sized country without intense competition. Yet when you do, you're now completely isolated.
3) That scout of somebody else beating you by 1 turn to the goody hut.
4 Losing all your early explorers to dumb luck. I put them on the forest, or the hill, or the forested hill...doesn't matter. Never too early for the RNG to screw you.
5) Losing a Quarry to the tornado event when I'm building the Wonder that is sped by that rock.
6) Having an everlasting slave rebellion when I'm trying to build the Wonder in the capital. Can't crush it brutally, I need as many working citizens as possible.
7) Montezuma as your neighbor, getting the Shock Axes event...
8) Any uber-aggressive backstabber, tech whore or mad REXer as your nextdoor neighbor.
9) Losing out on a religion/Wonder by a turn or two...when the slave rebellion event is the reason for that delay.
10) An opposing religion spreads by itself across the nearby Civs like a bad plague. Your founded religion doesn't even spread on its own to the whole of your small country, let alone elsewhere.

What do you guys have against Suryamanan. Ok, I just started a game with him and it is good fun to have size 12 cities by the time you hit the ADs, but I have never seen him as that much of an annoyance.

He's one of the most annoying civs in the game. He rexes like mad, sending out settlers at a ridiculous pace. he has no qualms about planting a city within 3 tiles of all your cities, and with him being creative, he'll culture steal all your resources. He'll continue to culturally pressure all your cities the entire game.

He's super aggressive, and he's a religious zealot making Isabella look like Elizabeth. If you're a different religion he WILL dow you. Even if you're the same religion he's a backstabber, and keeping him at friendly is ridiculously hard. Why?

He's a spoiled unfriendly . .. .. .. .. .. .. . who always wants to have his way. Alongside Kublai and Catherine, he's one of the 3 that will get a -2 diplo hit anytime you don't help them in a war, don't gift them a tech, or don't stop trading with their worse enemy. So deny him once or twice and he'll drop down from friendly to pleased, and he'll backstab you in no time.

Most importantly, he's just plain ugly.

Overall, he's the one AI i will always rush, no exceptions. Even Monty and Genghis are easier to get along with.

The Barb uprising event is beatable, no need to panic, just chop / whip a few troops and wait for the promotions to roll in. But not in the first 15 turns... getting it in the first 15 turns would be fairly fatal... :cry:

edit: It occurs to me that I registered for civ III almost 4 years ago and never posted until just now. I wonder if that's some kind of record for lurking. (Although, honestly I didn't lurk for civ III very long... and I just started Civ IV last week on a whim.)

I got you beat by about 5 months. Registered Jan 2004 and didn't post until a month ago = epic-lurker.

#1 Hated thing - Jungle start: automatic Mr. Yuk in your city; forget about trying to explore for a better citysite w/ your settler (takes too long); it'll be centuries before you can make your capital city plot worthwhile.
2. Getting small sums of money from a goody hut when you need a 2nd warrior or scout
3. Having a wolf take you out when you move your first warrior out of the city (yeah that's a do-over)
4. Monty, Sury, and for some reason I have problems with Hannibal in your back yard.
5. Moving your warrior three times and seeing a rival scout - excuse me but can't you find your own country?
6. Warriors that can't take a beating even with hills or woods for defense
7. Any bad start (tundra, island, jungle, desert)
8. Clicking the wrong research path
9. AI beating you to insert religion by 1 turn
10. Unleashing a horde of barbarians

1) The partisan event (as well as the slave revolt), because I know I'll see it many many more times in the game (wish I could disable this one without turning off all random events).

He probably got a GS or similar and lightbulbed something he could trade to the other civs.

In my particular case, he started with no techs that I didn't have. He ended with no techs I didn't have as well, so I don't think the bulbing would work (I don't remember having any techs the other AIs wanted or would trade that heavily for to make up so much ground).

having joao on my continent... man, he's able to moan even more then the cow, which is quite a performance in my book... if they wanted to invent the "begging ai", they sure did a fine job...

early game not just 1st 15 turns

1. 1st hut are barbarians
2. researching bronze, horses and getting none anywhere close to your cities. forcing to go w/ archers. hopefully you can research it before barbarians show up. then if your survive, missing on iron a little later. only to have montezuma w/ all the resources close enough to attack.
3. no rivers, lots of unworkable land, jungle, etc....
4. having the numbers to attack 1st city but getting extremely unlucky and losing and having ai upgrade to super defender so that it takes a great many more people to take city.
5. to survive initial animal/barbarian attack only to have 2 more show up out of the fog to finish you off the next turn.
6. losing research to the ai by a turn or 2.
7. ai declaring war on you but not attacking. they are ocean away and don't have galleons yet. but they won't give peace unless you give them city. and they were in positive relations before declaration of war.
8. ai not trading w/ you when it is in their best interest. or absurd one way trades where you offer way more than what is fair but they want more.
9. when ai w/ huge positive relations and sharing a religion back stabs you.
10. any time losing a 99.9 percent but especially a critical attack. last guy in a stack attacking last city defender for the capital city in a rivals empire. or doing everything right w/ warrior such as having him on hill, in the woods, w/ plus 10 percent veteran only to lose to a panther.

1. Losing
2. Almost losing
3. Getting invaded.

Haven't happened to me, but damn, I would be so pissed if they did.

I hate it when I explore all the land right around my capital and it's all crap... typically happens around the first 15 turns or so.

this is all small change....I had my first day off work for two weeks yesterday , warm toast , juice , coffee at the computer desk ,birds singing outside, bautiful Sydney summer day, 10 hours to play.

load up game , found city , bush fires in the area ,no power (thus no civ) till 6 pm.......I was fantasising about how much I would ENJOY the barb event

1. Big stack of rushers (6+ in number) fails to take the neighbor's capital.

2. Settler spawned on a 3 tile island of plains/desert/mountains.

this is all small change....I had my first day off work for two weeks yesterday , warm toast , juice , coffee at the computer desk ,birds singing outside, bautiful Sydney summer day, 10 hours to play.

load up game , found city , bush fires in the area ,no power (thus no civ) till 6 pm.......I was fantasising about how much I would ENJOY the barb event
yup that is one of the worst things to happen in the first 15 turns of the game

He's one of the most annoying civs in the game. He rexes like mad, sending out settlers at a ridiculous pace. he has no qualms about planting a city within 3 tiles of all your cities, and with him being creative, he'll culture steal all your resources. He'll continue to culturally pressure all your cities the entire game.

He's super aggressive, and he's a religious zealot making Isabella look like Elizabeth. If you're a different religion he WILL dow you. Even if you're the same religion he's a backstabber, and keeping him at friendly is ridiculously hard. Why?

He's a spoiled unfriendly . .. .. .. .. .. .. . who always wants to have his way. Alongside Kublai and Catherine, he's one of the 3 that will get a -2 diplo hit anytime you don't help them in a war, don't gift them a tech, or don't stop trading with their worse enemy. So deny him once or twice and he'll drop down from friendly to pleased, and he'll backstab you in no time.

Most importantly, he's just plain ugly.

Overall, he's the one AI i will always rush, no exceptions. Even Monty and Genghis are easier to get along with.
/agree

He is the ultimate ass****. Even thought he has the lamest civ EVER!

In a game I recently had, he was rexing from my wars so fast that made me mad as hell. I was going conquest before ac show up... But he avoided for being a pain in the ass, he kept avoiding death.

So to have my revenge that he destroyed my especial victory. I entered on worldbuilder just to put 12 modern armies to me and see me obliterate him until the last drop!!! Ohhhhhhhhh that felt good.

Korn - Wake Up

Top Bottom