• Koondrad

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • xyourxmomxcorex

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Abstain

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The first woman, Lilith, was made from the dust as Adam was and argued this made her his equal. Adam refused, so she left the Garden of Eden and sired demons' children instead.
She sounds like a very reasonable lady.
One language trend is the compacting of common words to cut down on size and syllables: television to TV, compact disk to CD, refrigerator to fridge, etc. Political correctness constantly fights this trend, and the result seems unnatural and forced.
I hope, and believe, it is possible, with an effort, to make short, non-dicriminatory words. Nature has little to do with this, language is primarily a social and cultural construct. As for forced; "politically correct" words are forced, and have to be so, until they become part of peoples everyday vocabulary.
Changing 'he' to 'he or she' drives writers up the wall and sticks out like a sore thumb.
I agree. What about changing "he" to "she" about 50% of the time? People could get used to that.
'African-americans' has finally been accepted after decades of promotion, but it has a whopping five syllables, double the standard 2-3 syllables used to describe race.
Does it describe a race? Many people here in Europe have dark skin witout being neither African nor American. I believed the term ment something like: "Persons with African ancestry living in America (esp. the USA)". This might of course be me misunderstanding completely because I'm European.

If you want to continue this discussion, please make a thread in the off-topic forum. For the record, and as most people were able to comprehend, I meant humanity by the use of 'Man'.

I feel though, that a lot of the English language is possibly sexist. I just follow the conventions of writing and really don't care. There is little point in getting angry over words. Sticks and stones... bleh.

Peace, Believe,

If you want to continue this discussion, please make a thread in the off-topic forum.
You are all very welcome to continue the discussion here.
There is little point in getting angry over words.
I'm not angry. Perhaps I should use more smileys, so people wouldn't think I am :) .
For the record, and as most people were able to comprehend, I meant humanity by the use of 'Man'.

I feel though, that a lot of the English language is possibly sexist. I just follow the conventions of writing and really don't care.
See the new thread for my reply.

Top Bottom