1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Term 1 - Nominations for Foreign Affairs Advisor

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of Democracy VII' started by Chieftess, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icmancin

Icmancin WSNR Pte

Its quite difficult to say. Sometimes the AI will only give territory maps for world maps. Thats a real pain. But it can also help you. For instance I was once playing as Russia and had only one coastal city. The Inca was the major power and was located in the S-E part of the map. I had no clue where they were until the late middle ages.

If possible steer away from trading maps. Due to the continental game map it would only be of use when first contact of the other continent is made.

2. Civlord

Civlord Chieftain

Better thinking, Icmancin has my support. He shows that he is clearly ready for such a post and that he will be compromised to have a competent foreign policy strategy.

3. Civlord

Civlord Chieftain

Go Icmancin.

4. Icmancin

Icmancin WSNR Pte

Thanks Civlord. (Just a hint, don't double post, it'll annoy some people)

5. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

damn i just wrote out a big thing and lost it , this still has a while to go so i will do it again when i can get motivated

6. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Greetings Citizens,
    I am running for the position of Foreign Affairs advisor. First I would like to apologies for the lateness of my election campaign. I totally agree with Icmancin” first hear the policies” I have always tried to convince the voters to read the candidate’s policies before deciding on there vote. I also ask the people don’t vote for Icmancin simply because they saw what he said first. As I see it there are three major policy areas for the ancient age foreign affairs. First there is expansion and exploration. Next there is protecting the nation and finally creating a good working relationship with the foreign nations.

Expansion and Exploration

In a regular civilizations game exploration and expansion and very important because the first thing you need to do is build as many cities as possible. In a Five city challenge expansion and exploration are even more important. In a normal game a few missed place cities is a problem but in a game with only five productive cities a badly placed city is a catastrophe. So from the being we need to explore the local area and find out where optimal city sites are. Also in a normal game you can build lots of cities, from which you gain tax and shields but with only five cities you can not make a huge amount of gold and beakers so we must trade with our neighbours to get these things. Because of this we must explore fast so we meet the rest of the world quickly.

The foreign ministry does not have a direct effect on expansion and exploration, so I will not make outlandish promises like my rival to “explore to the sea with military units” what I will do is quickly establish embassies we can see our neighbours and create trade routes to them. And although it might not fall within my first term I will trade maps and contacts so we can create a global trade network as fast as possible. Also I lead discussions on Right of Passage agreements which allow faster exploration. I discuss Right of Passage agreements in more detail below.

Protecting the Nation

The most important duty of any government is citizens with in it. And the two parts of our government that do this are the Military Advisor and the Foreign Affairs Advisor. The Military Advisor physically protects the citizens and property of Fantikos from those who wish to do it harm. I will leave the Military to fight the wars as they see fit I wish to have no control over military operations other than to state rules of engagement, for example to allow the enemy to trigger the MPP web first.

Foreign Affairs Advisor protects the nation by eliminating the reasons for people to do us harm. If elected I will do this by creating a stable international environment where we will be surrounded by polite neighbours interested in trade rather than war. Unfortunately the A.I. is not always reasonable and no matter how they are treated they will have aggressive ambitions. I reduce these I will immediately begin discussions on Foreign Demands and border incursions so we have national policy on how to react to these situations. If we can not persuade the A.I. to take a diplomatic route and our nation is plunged into war I will lead discussions on military alliances and Trade embargos to help fight the war, and I will lead discussion on our war goals.

Also I would not totally rule out offensive wars if they are needed to achieve our long term goals. These are a useful tool in foreign affairs and unlike my rival I will not make silly promises to “keep the peace.” It goes without saying that any declaration of war would need proper discussion and polling as would signing any diplomatic agreement.

Foreign Relations

Trade is the life blood of our nation. If we want to win we need to trade. If we want to make the most profitable trades possible we need to have friendly relations with out neighbours. If elected I will create good relations with all our neighbours so trade may flourish. If you look back over the last two demo games the only long period of Friendly public relations was while I was Foreign Affairs minister. There are many ways to build friend ships I will discuss now. "I have always believed helping your fellow man is profitable in every sense, personally and bottom-line." Gifts are one very good way to create friendly relations. It costs at first but good relations increase the profitability of trade so it is profitable both in attitude and bottom line. Right of Passage Agreements and Mutual Protection Pacts give a tremendous boast the A.I. attitudes but also come with a security threat which must be weighed up. Also at times fighting a war against another nation can help build relationships. If elected to this office I will attempt to secure a good foreign relationship with every nation.

Honour

The fourth leg of my platform is honour; I did not mention this at the start because this is the most important part. This is normally the unwritten part but I think it needs to be said. Although the above things are important to wining the game of civilization this part is important to wining the “Demo game.” If I am elected we will not break treaties, we will not abandon allies and we most certainly won’t allow aggressive nations to attack our cities can get out of it scot free. I will take all reasonable steps to keep the peace even paying a foreign nation tribute but if they attack us we will strike back. I also believe what I say here is what I do. That is the way things work. Our nation will be proud.

So if elected I will encourage our nation to grow while defending our people and creating peaceful foreign relations so trade can flourish. So basically you could say my policy is to create a situation where we can profitably trade while not abandoning our honour. For what have we profited if we gain the world and lose our soul. This is not the end of my campaign. Still to come: Brief Summary of policy, Rebuttal of Icmancin and answering your questions. Also I have to say vote nobody like a million more times so well vote nobody vote nobody vote nobody.

7. Icmancin

Icmancin WSNR Pte

Hmm... Well said Nobody. This is going to be a very interesting election. May the best man win.

But it also says that I promise to "“explore to the sea with military units”. I have made no promise in that. I said I will urge the Military Minister for exploration to find coastline if not already in sight and to find other nations. You said in response for "exploration to the sea":

"what I will do is quickly establish embassies we can see our neighbours and create trade routes to them."

And earlier: "but with only five cities you can not make a huge amount of gold and beakers so we must trade with our neighbours to get these things."

What your saying is that we must build sometimes expense embassies in a country we have not found with exetremely low funds?

And: "and unlike my rival I will not make silly promises to “keep the peace.”"

It is impossible to Keep the peace forever. I only intend to keep the peace longer, and to keep violent conflicts from spreading. Of course every war we will have a council, no doubt about that, I'm just saying I want to have less councils then our rival nations.

I am also surprised about my DMZ comment. it was not mentions in yours nor was it being used against me like the phrases above. I'll wait and see.

8. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Wow, you write extremely well for 11. :)

No time for substantive followup questions for now, but I'm looking forward to re-reading and analyzing your platform tonight.

9. truckingpete

truckingpete On a Stark Trek

11 years old!! Wow! What part of Canada do you live in? I live in North Dakota if your wondering. I started the DemoGame at age 12 or 13...I vote for the youngster...we youngsters are the next generation!!

Plus I like all the stuff he said..:D

10. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

To all candidates:

1) Have you played a 5CC or 5BC variant before?

2) Given our difficulty level and the 5BC variant, how do you plan to handle demands from our neighbors?

-- Ravensfire

11. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Question Time
    I have played 1CC, and my favorite way to play is to have a small core (5-10 citys) and large colonial areas around the world, to be like England or holland in the real world. i am use to this small amount of citys game.

Well as soon as elected i intend to beging a discussion which will lead to polling, to establish a policy on demand and border incursions. If the decision came down to me in the mean time, i would probly give into the demands. the question is "would we declare war on them if someone else offered us 1 tech and 10 gold" if the answer is no then we give in. and we place a asterix by there name.

This is a matter for the trade department, but i would do it with everybody and fast. If we explore fast then we can make a profit from the trades.

12. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

watch out icmanci next he will be asking for a photo, ;)

13. Icmancin

Icmancin WSNR Pte

Thanks for the praise. I won a writing award at my Grad for a story I wrote on the Germans invading Poland. Questions...

1. Have you played a 5CC or 5BC variant before?

No, but once in my beginning days I was stuck with 3 cities. I managed to pull out... until I lost the save.

2. Given our difficulty level and the 5BC variant, how do you plan to handle demands from our neighbors?

Demands will sadly be met. But they will also be noted for further use against them. Fanatikos won't stand by while our neighbours bully us around. We will simply be patient and when the time comes that they need help from us then it can be denied. Or perhaps (if their position is weak enough to exploit) we can help their enemies.

3. 11 years old!! Wow! What part of Canada do you live in?

I live in Ellershouse Nova Scotia, 15 minutes from the town of Windsor. I hope that clears up some things. ;)

14. Spud Boy

Spud Boy Chieftain

Question to all candidates: Do you intend to make ROP agreements with our neighbors?

15. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Things like this will be decided by the people, through discussion and polling. Really it depends on our situation and this can't decided until we see the map. They increase our movement speed for military operations and exploring, but they also are risky the A.I. could rop rape us. Its up to the people. I wouldn't rule them out.

16. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

That's not something I wanted to hear. Once again, I repeat. There is no point in electing people if all there going to do is ask us our view on every single issue anyway. We might as well just appoint people if were going to do that.

Being elected to the poistion, should be enough proof to hold that the citizens trust your actions.

17. truckingpete

truckingpete On a Stark Trek

dont worry, I wont...:D

18. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

in your world, we would just vote at begining of the term and watch for a month. the polls thread should just be closed.

19. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Nope, in my world we would trust our leaders to make the right choices, and to ask our view of differant choices when the need arises.

However, trust is an alien concept in this game and I guess it's to much to ask for now.

20. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

i thought it was general demogame foreign affairs policy that all treatys were ratifyed by the people. thats how i intend to play it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.