Term 1 - Office of the Chieftain

If there is another emergency session, my scheduled session will be no earlier than Thursday.

I honestly don't care either way - a precedent for this government's course of actions has been made.

-- Ravensfire

Chieftain ice2k4,

Kindly determine soon our course of action. Should I hear nothing, I will play the game session as scheduled.

-- Ravensfire

I'll be making the executive order tonight, and this time giving it until tomorrow morning, allowing citizens to make objections.

This has not been posted.

If three citizens object, than I will call it off. I will not be home until around 5 or 6 EST which is two or three hours before the next scheduled turnchat, so I will be leaving the instructions, then I'll give the instructions to the scheduled turnchat when I get home.

Chieftain ice2k4,

Kindly determine soon our course of action. Should I hear nothing, I will play the game session as scheduled.

-- Ravensfire

I have to say, I don't like this - because of the above and the discussion in the capital city thread we have focussed on the initial moves and the settler (anticipating a 2nd turn 0 session as announced) - there has not been much discussion on initial research or build order and not even the officials have yet posted anything regarding this so that I would really like to know how you plan to play the first "real" session (of more then turn 0 I mean)...

I also object to a full 10 turn TC. I'd prefer another swift 0 turn chat, although not as swift as the last one :p

I also object to a full 10 turn TC. I'd prefer another swift 0 turn chat, although not as swift as the last one :p

I 'spec the player of that session could have waited more than 2 minutes before playing ... :rolleyes:

-- Ravensfire

@Ori - That's my blatant attempt at forcing non last-minute communication. I'm trying to schedule around a few things tonight in my life. Seeing things posted at the last second, as is apparently intended doesn't help with that schedule, nor does it allow for adequate discussion of those instructions.

Posting "planned" or "proposed" instructions last night would have helped focus things a bit more. At this point, I honestly don't care if there's a special session, or I delay until later (Sat or Sun, at this point).

-- Ravensfire

I 'spec the player of that session could have waited more than 2 minutes before playing ...

-- Ravensfire

There were instructions...
Dutchfire will be playing the save as soon as he receives it.

Then again someone saying he was only following instructions reminds me of the Germans in the second world war.

Just to check if I understood the rules:
Turn chat played at the posted time; if there is instructions from the Chieftain,
DP must follow; if not, DP plays as see fit.
Please, am I right or wrong?
Best regards,

What's done is done. Our focus should now turn to how to play the upcoming session. Please stick to the future -- there are other ways to handle the past, if anything needs to be done.

There should be two prerequisites for playing:
  • There is adequate information for the people to decide what to do.
  • There is adequate opportunity for the people to decide what to do.
If the information and opportunity are there and the people don't decide, then moving forward is justified. I'd have no problem with delaying if either one is not satisfied.

We generally (over the course of 8 former Civ3 and Civ4 demogames) have considered 3 days to be the gold standard for opportunity. I know there are dissenters on this, who think 4 or 5 days are required, but considering that every citizen doesn't need to be here for every discussion, 3 days is normally sufficient.

There have been 3 days of discussion on the capitol location. That's 3 days that any citizen who thinks the settlement location is worth a poll could have opened one. There are still several hours remaining before the scheduled play session, and a poll could still be opened. I'd expect a reschedule if a poll does appear.

The science discussion has no conclusive answer at present. Again, there have been lots of opportunities to poll. Same goes for 1st production.

Lack of information is why we wanted the special session. Some would argue that we still need another one to get more information.

At the same time we are being careful to not leave some citizens behind by proceeding too fast, we also need to keep activity high. This is especially important now, when boredom could easly drive people away even faster than a perception of not enough democracy. We should try to be in a position that there is a DP ready to play soon after the people have decided. Waiting a week or more between sessions is one of the things which killed DG1. This is why I argued so strongly in favor of play order flexibility. I don't fault anyone who has external influences on play schedule. I'm completely unavailable the evening of 3/7 and most of the day on 3/11.

So the net is, if you think something should be polled then poll it. If you think some aspect of the game is not being discussed, start one.

Just to check if I understood the rules:
Turn chat played at the posted time; if there is instructions from the Chieftain,
DP must follow; if not, DP plays as see fit.
Please, am I right or wrong?
Best regards,

That is correct. :) Also the Elder posts instructions about the city, if not the DP decides. However, the DP usually takes the citizen input from the forum. In past games there have been very few instances of DP's who intentionally went against the people's wishes.

The immediate session as you can see has not been called, due to strong opposition and controversy. Within the next hour I will decide whether to delay the next turnchat, since the citizens seem to have much more opinion on my actions than on the actual in-game settlement. :/

Chieftain ice2k4,

We've run our first 4 turns, and had an interesting start.

I've taken the liberty of starting a few discussions on relevant topics. Your leadership in those areas would be greatly appreciated however! I've got this bar by my big rock that I need to keep an eye on. You know those lawyerly types - never trust Cyc if there's an full (or at least not empty) bottle around!

-- Ravensfire

Chieftain ice2k4,

We've run our first 4 turns, and had an interesting start.

I've taken the liberty of starting a few discussions on relevant topics. Your leadership in those areas would be greatly appreciated however! I've got this bar by my big rock that I need to keep an eye on. You know those lawyerly types - never trust Cyc if there's an full (or at least not empty) bottle around!

-- Ravensfire
No need to worry, I'll be part of the convos, I'm just not home the same hours as what looks like to be the majority of the citizens.

Chieftain ice2k4,

Our next game session is this Saturday. If possible, could you post your instructions before Friday, so we can discuss them?

Thanks!
-- Ravensfire

Here is my proposal for the growth of the city. It's a bit more agressive to get a settler out quicker.

Actually, the worker should do this -

1 - Irragate the wheat
2 - Irragate the tile 1 SW of the city.
3 - Mine the forested hill.

(I'd rather get the city growing a little quicker before connecting the wheat)

Turn 7 - Worker should be complete, start the warrior. Send the worker to the wheat.
Turn 8 - Irragate the wheat. (5 turns)
Turn 10 - Start a settler.

By the time the worker is done irragating, move to the forested hill 1E of the city. We should have bronze working by the time it's ready to mine. Next turn, start mining.

The warrior may start to move towards the next city site. After the settler (should take maybe 7 turns with a chop), build another warrior. After the mine is finished, irragate the grassland 1 SW of the city.

Focus the city on growth for now.

There is some renewed discussion of whether we should try to get a religion before BW. I'd recommend commenting over in the tech discussion thred on how that choice might affect the development plan. :)

The chieftain can delay the turnchat? Never knew that. That could potentially inconvience a DP. (i.e., if they could only play on that one day)

Top Bottom