Term 1 Science Thread: Insert Joke Here

Stuck_as_a_Mac

Aptenodytes forsteri
From the Desk of Science Minister Rik Meleet:
What do you know; I've won an election on my holiday-address ...
SaaM: I appoint you as deputy; when you are back on august 2nd; can you please do the honors of setting up an office and start some debates on research-schedule ??

Preferred research: 1: Pottery, then Bronze, then Iron. Reason: pottery because it allows curraghs and more importantly granaries. Iron because it shows us Iron on the map so we know where to settle as iron is essential to get our UU.

Welcome to this brief thread that will serve as the Science Office until Rik gets back. I am Deputy Minister SaaM.
/me ponders
Can anyone look @ the archive and see how many games I've started as Deputy science minister?
Anyway, Rik has posted his preference for our queue and I would have to agree. Judging by our start, we look like we may be blessed with fertile land.

All are welcome to discuss here, as it'll be taken down in a bit anyway.

SaaM

It may also be important to note that our research order may change according to the cost of each tech, since it changes based upon how many civs have it. But we should definately get IW as soon as possible!

Thank you for your opinion, Justice KCCrusader (note to self: find way to shorten new guys name... no one wants to type an entire name). I agree of the importance IW and locating the valueable iron for our cities. I hope you will join in the discussion posted above.

Deputy SaaM

I think that the proposed path is great...pottery for granary. Our start looks like it has a lot of potential growth even without the granary. Bonus Grassland all around and two wheats, both on riverbanks!

Iron working should be made ASAP to find our Samurai City...or not...? BUt it's right next to Bronze Working, which provides the shieldman.

I think I have an objection...does Pottery grant Curraughs? I thought ALphabet did.

Granary is not needed, the opinion of many now is to get Monarchy and Iron
the path to Monarchy gives us mysticism and polytheism, and being a religious Civz<, a revolution is only 1 turn. Monarchy will greatly improve research, commerce, production and reduce rampant corruption. bornze-Iron will meet thre requirements for all our security needs till Samurai, then we need to find saltpeter.

Pottery , a default in some games, is not needed, and is here a hollow mantra and a default setup for thse with not enough energy to rethink things.
With two wheats, rivers and so on, the city will grow so fast, we can barely send out the settlers before the city is large again. Please investigate my threads on the success ration or iron based troops in the MA thread and okease check the Civilopedia of despotism and monarchy up to terrain tile info. You will all understand well.

1: Pottery, then Bronze, then Iron. Reason: pottery because it allows curraghs

Please. I would have quoted Stuck on this, but RM said it first and no one has stepped up to correct them. This is vanilla Civ3, not C3C. We do not get those little curraghs anytime during this game. OK?

I think we should do Bronze Working first. Then Iron Working, then Mysticism, then Poly, and then Monarchy. We need to change governments as soon as possible (so you people don't become spoiled with free military units ;) ) to benefit from the perks of that government and the ability to build The Hanging Gardens. :thumbsup:

I agree with Cyc 100 %, I did some number crunching. The Capital will likely quickly reach
12 Pop with all that food, production and river (free aqueduct). without granary.
In fact we will struggle to make the city safe for unhappiness, and to get the settlers quickly out enough. Pottey is also a very cheap tech to develop when we actually need it down the road. This map proves we do not need a granary now, nor pottery.

The Hanging Gardens will be exactly what we need for this large capital, we get it with Monarchy. then we should go for a wonder that either is religious or militaristic, so we can get a golden age. We need iron asap, otherwise a lack of it will dictate our future foreign policies and we lose strategi initiative. So delete pottery from the plan.
I stick with Cycs script 100 %.

1 - No curraghs in Vanilla.
2 - That's the WORST path to take. Why? Because the AI most likely will have already researched those (either by research, goody hut, or trade). If we take the lit/currency path, we have an almost 100% chance to trade those techs. With the other 3? More like a 10% chance. (50% during the first 5 turns).

Morning CT and Cyc
@cyc- if you look at the election thread, i too have corrected RM. I forgot to edit it.
@ct- thats his suggestion. I somewhat agree with it, though I would not use pottery. For todays TC, I am going to suggest we start researching Bronze, then IW. While these two are researching, I will poll for what we should do next (including doing something other than IW). If we manage to find a hut with either of those two in them, great for us. Then we could start down the Lit/Cur path. But I feel we may need to find our natural resources first.

SaaM

Well, we'll be researching what some civs already have, and will research. (Bronze Working can also be gotten from a goody hut quite easily).

SAaM

Very prudent of you sir.

The best route is to get Bronze up and running till we have figured out our neihbors for risk management, and then go towards Iron so we can lpan our cities and further development. Actually, teh aspect of having or not having iron will impact all research decisions. No iron may menan we need Construction and the Great Wall to sit it out until we get musketmen and gunpowder. Litterature and currency? It is not likely that we will build many marketplaces and libraries in term 1, we would rather expand organically with settlers, the Monarchy shift early in the game will also win the science race for us, increasing the effective production of tile with average 50 %. Some library and marketplace cannot compensate for that. Since we already got temples from our free Ceremonial Burial, we get our culture there. Term 1 must see sudden expansion and focus on getting early iron. Iron will mean more military predictability.

See the stats in the MA thread.

who cares if the ais get pottery also? it is the most important tech in early ancient... we need very large cities, larger cities more commerce, more commerce more science
plus it will greatly help with out expansion, a granary is most important in your capital very early, by the time we get it we will already be over with the capital making all the settlers

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
Morning CT and Cyc
@cyc- if you look at the election thread, i too have corrected RM. I forgot to edit it.
@ct- thats his suggestion. I somewhat agree with it, though I would not use pottery.

SaaM

Sorry, Stuck, I didn't see the correction. And I don't want us to research Pottery. That's the first tech you get in a goody hut. We don't need granaries this early, not with this great location. So remove pottery from my post above and you get my choices. ;)

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
Thank you for your opinion, Justice KCCrusader (note to self: find way to shorten new guys name... no one wants to type an entire name). I agree of the importance IW and locating the valueable iron for our cities. I hope you will join in the discussion posted above.

Deputy SaaM

KCC Works :)

Well, after the 1st chat, we have Bronze Working due in 13. According to my instructions, we should do Iron Working next, to find where that is. I could be lazy and save the polling for Rik, but I feel we should do some more investigation on to whether or not we should head to monarchy.

look for a thread (not a poll) on this issue.

Top Bottom