1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Terra Novus - Modern Civ Pack (Pre-development Planning Thread)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by CivOasis, Dec 26, 2011.

1. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

Did you mean that they have to release the dll in order to create such UA?

2. Uncle Anton

Uncle Anton Lighthorseman

Yeah I'd second Australia.... While I'd never argue it's significant enough for a mainstream out-of-the-box civ, it's small but disproportionate impact in 20th century warfare, politics and culture relative to it's size makes it a legitimate second tier civ for any mod dealing with a modern era much like the often mentioned Poland, Brazil etc.

For UU choices I've gone with a slight tangent on what you might expect from an Australian Civ (in past Civ games, any Australia Mod has used the Australian Light Horse or a worker unit pretty much)

UU1 is representative of 20th Century military experience almost exclusively on foreign territory (WW1 France/Flanders, WW2 North Africa/South Pacific, Korea, Vietnam etc notable in defensive or counter-offensive actions)

UU2 is less notable historically but still accurate enough and provides flavour since there are very few if any Gunship UU's in the game. When engaged in Vietnam, the RAAF as with the Americans flew the ubiquitous UH-1 Huey... the difference was with the variant they employed in the gunship role, packing two fixed forward firing M134 7.62 mm miniguns (one each side) and two 7 round rocket pods (again one each side) - considerably greater firepower than their American counterparts were packing in a standard Huey gunship at the time, something noted by ally and foe alike in that conflict and more widely representative of the historical tendency of Australia's military to take a piece of kit and modify the bejesus out of it... ;)

The Leader could be a toss-up of any three (Barton as Australia's first PM, Menzies as it's longest serving PM or Curtin as it's wartime PM during the only time the country's territory was directly threatened and breached by a foreign power)... I've gone with Menzies.

UA is chosen pretty much because Australia has always been a middle tier economy, able to thrive because of it's nature as a Primary Economy (ie one based on natural resources) supplying resources to trading partners (from the UK in it's early days, to China and India today).

Civ: Australia
    Leader: Robert Menzies
    UA: Resource Rich: Mines and lumbermills provide 1 extra shield
    UU1: AIF Infantry (Replaces Infantry), +25% defensive bonus outside of friendly territory
    UU2: RAAF Gunship (replaces Helicopter Gunship), starts with Logistics

3. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

What about a UA for getting bonuses of neighbouring civs and counting them as your own? (I kid, I kid) :D

4. Uncle Anton

Uncle Anton Lighthorseman

ROFL! :goodjob:

Joking but... UA:"Australia's Own <Insert foreign Celebrity>". +1 Culture for every Cinema in every foreign city. :D

EDIT: No, you can't have Split Enz/Crowded House... we've half-inched them and we're keeping them. :p ;)

5. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Hi, I've been making civ mods and posting them here on civfanatics and on Steam. I can't really officially commit to the project as sometimes real life commitments force me to just not be able to mod for long stretches of time, and I have a few civs planned that don't fit into your geographic guidelines.

However, with that said, you are more than welcome to use/edit/salvage any civs I do make that happen to fit into your goals (I've briefly spoken to Pouakai on the Steam workshop). I recently did Benin which should fit nicely with your Zambezi project (needs a UU icon and unit reskin though), and am currently working on ancient Libya-Berbers which could also work, though admittedly more Egyptian/Middle-Eastern than sub-Saharan Africa if that's specifically what you are looking for. I was also planning on doing an update to Cyon's Kongo (beyond iamaplayer's G&K conversion) mainly for personal use, with more fleshed out civlopedia entries.

Also, I was actually planning on doing a Gran Colombia mod (and maybe Brazil as well, but that wasn't anytime soon). I don't know how far you guys are with in terms of either of them, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but if you want I'd be more than happy to help out/make either of those.

6. CivOasis

CivOasis Ahuizotl

To be perfectly honest, I haven't touched this in a while. If I ever get the time, it would be great to have assistance in working on it, but I'm currently a bit busy with applying to schools and such.

7. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Well, as I sad, I'll probably be making one eventually anyway. Once it's done feel free to use whatever you want from it. Would you mind if I used sukritact's map? I was going to make my own, but it's almost why bother when there's such an amazing one that I couldn't hope to top already posted.

8. CivOasis

CivOasis Ahuizotl

You'd have to ask him, but I'm not opposed.

9. ArnoldI

ArnoldI When in doubt, go Tradition

About the Brazil Civ, I used the Semprini version and we got to some conclusions on a thread that may help (I think).

UA: Boards Treaty
    :c5culture: costs of new tiles costs half the normal amount. +1 :c5gold: per plantation.

UU: Dragão da Independência
    +30% :c5strength: and +1 :c5moves: inside borders. May fortify and receive defensive bonuses.

UU2: Voluntários da Pátria
    25 :c5production: cheaper. Foreign lands bonus and Drill I promotion free.

What about?