TETurkhan Test of Time (Map & Mod)

Tet,

I am still drooling over your AWESOME world map. Are the islands like Hawwaii, south pacific islands, and other small islands of any value?

It sure would be great to have a reason, even better a historically accurate, to encourage population of those little islands. What about a vacation luxury? It could be traded like the other luxuries... You could put it on all of the little hot spots that have huge economies based on tourism due to the sheer bueaty of the land IRL! It would sure give an incentive to conquer/colonize those little specs of land and it would represent a real industry.

Maybe you could make it look like a little grass hut?

let me know if you think the idea has a place in an update to your awesome mod :eek:

Originally posted by civzombie
Tet,

I am still drooling over your AWESOME world map. Are the islands like Hawwaii, south pacific islands, and other small islands of any value?

It sure would be great to have a reason, even better a historically accurate, to encourage population of those little islands. What about a vacation luxury? It could be traded like the other luxuries... You could put it on all of the little hot spots that have huge economies based on tourism due to the sheer bueaty of the land IRL! It would sure give an incentive to conquer/colonize those little specs of land and it would represent a real industry.

Maybe you could make it look like a little grass hut?

let me know if you think the idea has a place in an update to your awesome mod :eek:

I agree that a tourism luxury resource is a good idea. It could become available sometime in Industrial or Modern Age. Could also put this resource on Tenerife, Azores, mediterranean coast of Spain, France, Greece, Turkey. And of course Hawaii, Bahamas...

It sure would be great to have a reason, even better a historically accurate, to encourage population of those little islands. What about a vacation luxury? It could be traded like the other luxuries... You could put it on all of the little hot spots that have huge economies based on tourism due to the sheer bueaty of the land IRL! It would sure give an incentive to conquer/colonize those little specs of land and it would represent a real industry. -CIVZOMBIE
I really like this idea - so much so that I will look into including it in the next version. Seems whenever I am ready to post some innovative cool idea comes to me. Thank all of you for your input, and I will do my best to include your suggestions in the next version.

Originally posted by teturkhan

I looked over the save game, and it seems to be working fine. You have conquered Jerusalem, ....

Hi Tet !

Did the save game metamorph itself ? I´ve never conquered Jerusalem :eek: :eek: !!!

Could it be that you buildt in a new kind of unit called: Ghosts ;) (that might be the reason for all these problems)...

Back to facts: Could you build any knights in my save game ?

Justarius

I mistook your color with the deeper blue of Israel's. Regardless, I looked through the tech line, checked things in the editor and everything seems to be in order. The save game you have given me is at a much later stage in the game where Knights are obsolete. It would of been ideal to have the save game where the problem was apparent. Anyhow, my thoughts are possibly you did not have one of the resources or it was not within your city borders, maybe by the time you discovered Chivalry and obtained all the resources needed the unit was obsolete by then.

First of all, thank you very much for all the work you've done , TETurkhan. Your mod is what I always wanted to see in Civ games. I've just started playing and noticed that you have changed grassland's food income to one. While, sat, plane is one food and one shield. Hmm... I saw your posts saying that cities grows very large in your mod anyway. But... fertile grassland, on which, historically, various agriculture-focused civilizations lived, providing as much food as plains, which was home for nomads? Well, if it's so important for balance, than it's ok, I guess. But may be you consider adding an extra trade to grassland then?

seems I am getting many first time posters in this thread lately ;)

in reply to your comments (timur), there are limitations in what can and cannot be done using the editor... if I could add more types of terrain i would do so but since this is not possible you must expect some comprimises to take place...

Hi,

Sorry im a newbie to this thread and i haven't read thru all 18 pages of the discussion so my question may b obsolete.

Do any of the versions on the first page of the thread work on civ3 without PTW? i they do, which 1? i am sincerely hoping that i can use your latest version to add a new dimension to playing civ.

TIA
shrift

I haven't read all 18 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this is a repeat. I've been playing the PTW version of Test of Time as the Poles on Emporer level-it's very good, by the way. I'm running into trouble at the dawn of Feudalism though. I believe I upgraded a few spearmen to pikemen, but now trying to do that crashes the game every time- it says the program performed an illegal operation.
The question is: is this problem fixed with the new versions? If I install the new version, will I lose my saved game? I'd appreciate any help with this problem, as I've really enjoyed the scenario so far and want to continue it!!!!

Have read the thread here with some interest, and I wanted to add a few comments from my own game as it stands so far. I am playing at Regent level with the default rules with regicide turned on, as the Khmer(Cambodia).
I saw Kormer's posts that China and India are too big but have to disagree. Yes both are HUGE but neither seems overly agressive...and I went out of my way to get them mad at me ;) On the other hand it is 1770 as I say this and neither has built up any elephants or knight types so maybe I will be getting a nice surprise soon...
Before I get into how the game went, I want to say a few things in general about the mod and such.(Yes, I am ALWAYS this meandering when I write...or when I play! ) Getting used to all the new terrain values was HARD....the food calculations what with all the terrain that does not provide any, plus all those mega producing squares has just given me fits :p Okay I am playing in Cambodia here and I do have to deal with some of the worst terrain on Earth so far as I am concerned but like, ICK! When I feel it is too much I just look north west at what Tibet has to deal with and thank Buddha I am on the coast... I don't know if it was your intent but having such lousy terrain and such High producing specials just escalates positional warfare all out of whack... There are just times when you have to get them to move off that sheep square or your city just...DIES
On the startup I sent out some warriors to see what was going on on my borders with India and China...the silly twits didn't even have warriors up yet so they both lost 2 cities. Only one of them was big enough to survive being captured though (Kunming) but I did get their attention. :)
This leads to my next comment... Within a few turns of the game starting I had maps from China all the way to England... It was not worth researching anything on my own,everyone else was doing it faster anyway. Interesting note: Around 1600 the Romans somehow got contact with the Aztecs. Now I have a perfect and up to date map with all civs selling it to me and there was no visible way they coud have made that contact...what happened?? I was able to trade maps,contacts and techs to stay right behind the leaders with like NO spending on science. I kept one population working as a scientist and that worked as good as setting science to 10% and saved me money. With 31 civs in play it was obvious GL would be HUGE and I was lucky enough to get it. I had one city working on another wonder at the time but someone finished it ahead of me, I got a really fortuitous switch. As far as tech going too fast this way?? it is 1770 as I said and I am working on engineering myself and have all ancient techs but republic I think but the GL has given me like 5 tech...I would have been able to trade for them but keeping my money has helped me prepare for the coming Monarchy. I have not played much PTW yet so you will have to judge yourself mr. T. :)
Oh yes! Remember when I ticked off India and China? Well all those early contacts meant I was at war with about 90% of the civs in no time. Now I am not really afraid of France and her mighty Trireme fleet being this far away but China + India + dragging in all of Asia but Tibet (We love you guys!) within say 20 turns of the game starting was umm a bit much??? I eventually made peace with all of these people but it was just CRAZY trying to keep people from buying military alliances against you...I got Tibet , Korea, Japan and Mongolia to Start wars with China with Bribes. Well we caused lots of Trouble and Korea has been named public enemy number one and a bunch of cities in Asia got razed over all this foolishness. My point is maybe something could be done to tone down the Wild MA sprees the AI seems to enjoy so much??
One point about the resources... did they all have to look alike? I am always right clicking away trying to see if indeed that fish is the big one or the BIG one... you know! Also my buddha relics have not popped up yet but how am I suposed to tell the two sorts you need apart?? They have the same icon and resource values in the civilopedia!
Oh yes , The Game! Cambodia is fun and the UU is fabulous! I scare hell out of Chinese Archers with that defense of 4...and so cheap!!! On another note that high defense plays right into the hands of the Khmer when you consider the terrain we play in. I have not seen anyone else mention it but you REALLY upped the defense values on terrain by a ton,what was the logic behind that? Your values are more in line with the old Civ two values, but If I park an army with even a few Khmer Inf. in say jungle /forest /hills the AI wont even TRY.
I did not have Iron or horses but Archers have the same stats as Swordsmen so it made no difference. I used a combination of Archers and some catapults/siege crossbows hiding behind several of the UU and I am pretty much crushing China. They are down to their last three cities so they are no threat but they sure do have a big army for such a tiny empire! That position around Louyon with the 10! silks and 3 dyes is maybe a bit too much for one city?! It is size 12 now and probably supporting his whole army on cash alone with ease.:eek:
That is all for now I think...but I disagree that China /India need to be cropped. I am sure India is going to get really feisty when His elephants come on line but a superpower or two is always good to have, we wouldn't want it to be EASY now would we? Also Please don't drop the Celts! I looked at that scattered start position and I knew where my next game will start. That is going to be SOME fun!
Oh and I did NOT approve of those few civs that had access to 3! UU types...no fair! give them one but not ALL!! Couldn't you give the Indonesians a really neat naval UU? They really scream for one being on all those little islands! Maybe a Kon-tiki 2/2/4 with full naval priveledges instead of triremes. For all those people who say naval units are pointless in Civ 3. :)
Sasebo,daughter of Bear, Queen of Smilies:) ;) :p :rolleyes: :crazyeye:

I am disappointed that some people are rating this mod 2 to 3 out of 5. If you are going to rate it this low, then at least specify what your criticisms are with the mod. The majority of problems and issues people seem to email me with are ones regarding installation - which I promptly reply to and assist with.

Lots of work went into this map and mod, giving it a rating of 2 out of 5 in my view is a cheap shot.

Tet -

Awsome mod. This is what I bought the game for!! However...I have had a problem.

In the last two games after investing much time, and getting to close to feudalism, my game crashes...consistantly. I cannot go any further.

One game I was Incas all alone in South America. The other Carthage in a very busy Med.

Both games had 8-9 civs (including me). I cruised along with no problems until 790ad and 900ad. In both cases, if i opened a city or clicked on an advisor.... the game crashes.

I have 1.14 upgrade and have your latest version as well. Is this common? What can I do to correct? I LOVE this mod...I have spent days playing and just as I am getting somewhere I hit a wall.

Please help!!

Thanx..... email if I need to send a copy of last save.

BadAndy, I didn't notice any trouble upgrading with the new patch as far as this mod is concerned. However, I still can't upgrade my Polish pikemen without crashing. Teturkhan, help! Your mod gets a 4.9 out of 5, only because of the glitch. Seriously, killer mod. I hope you got paid.

I think a number of people are having problems because the update isn't getting rid of the old BIX files (scenarios) and replacing them with the 3 new ones.

Check to ensure there are only 3 scenarios:

1. TETurkhan Test of Time (Just Mod)
2. TETurkhan Test of Time (World Map)
3. TETurkhan Test of Time (World Map & Cities)

My suggestion would be to go into the PTW scenarios folder, erase all existing TETurkhan BIX files, then install the 1.70 BIX update.

I have decided to post the newest update sooner than January -look for it in the next day or two.

once again, I recommend people having crash problems to check to make sure their BIX are updated. There should only be 3 of them.

I have games right now that are working fine, not a single crash, nor upgrade issue... mind you I am working with version 2.0 :D

just give me a day and I will have it up for you all...

Top Bottom