1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The AI and WAR

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Riker13, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Riker13

Riker13 King

Question, how does the AI decide to go to War with someone, I was good Friends with the Romans and then all of a sudden thay sneak attacked me.

Our relations was quite possitive + 6 - 1

Regards :crazyeye:

2. Rince

Rince King

They might have been pushed into declaring war on you by some other nation. Happened to me too.

Greetings,

Rince

3. vinstafresh

vinstafresh Prince

Do you have close borders? Did you have a weak (overall) defense/army? If you lack troops, then the AI sees it as an opportunity to strike at you, regardless of your relations.

4. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

Everything is usually all sweet and innocent until everyone runs out of room to expand. Then all bets are off, and if your military is weak, they'll just take your land.

5. LordOfTheDrinks

LordOfTheDrinks Chieftain

"Pleased" or even "friendly" isn't as reliable as a STRONG army.
    ... And believe me, there's nothing more fun than having three quarers of the world "Furious" with you, and still -- magically -- nobody declares war on you... :D

6. gunkulator

gunkulator Emperor

Is there a way to tell how strong your military is compared to the AI?

7. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Look at the power graphs, one of them tells you military strength.

8. Brave Jay

Brave Jay Warlord

I agree that the AI doesn't care about relations whatsoever if it senses you are weak and on its borders. Strong military+Good relations= good ally. sometimes Strong military+bad relations= scared ally

9. Brave Jay

Brave Jay Warlord

You can also look at the demographics and see how your military compares with the world, though you can't determine how many your enemy or potential enemy has, it will give you an idea of where you stand.

10. Mahatmajon

Mahatmajon Prince

I agree with many posters that having a weak military can do it, but the other night I was minding my own business building up my island and preparing for war when my best friend Monty (~ +10 IIRC, shared religions, giving him techs/resources/etc) decided to declare war on me and drop 2 galleys with 2 Jaguar, an Archer, & a Chariot onto my island.

I was able to kill them the turn they landed and my counterattack took his entire island and left him with one city on a far away island. I know it's Monty, but I'm still befuddled why he decided to attack me.

11. scooter

scooter Prince

That is weird, but like you said, it is Monty, the most insane leader of all of them. If he's not fighting a war he's getting ready to in less than 5 turns, suicide or not... it is a pain but it's nice for some easy cities :goodjob:

12. balthamael

balthamael Warlord

It's great when you are at the top of teh power by a huge amount, and you are free to demand and piss off the ai as much as you want!