1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Babylonians

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Ision, Dec 14, 2003.

1. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

2. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

3. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I agree with what you're saying. However high difficulty settings are for the elite players and thats a whole different game scene. On Sid theres what maybe 3 1st tier civs (Dutch, Sumeris, Iroqous?). I would rate Babylon myself as a 1st tier civ up until Emperor level as I think their traits still offer a bit at this level. At the highest difficulty I would still rate them as 2nd tier but only because I think I could find 10 worse civs.

4. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

5. josephstalin

josephstalin Kremlin Highlander

Well, played with Babs, I'm pretty peacful, but I can get away to Persians, Ottomans, Egyptian, Greek, Korean without problem. Strange...

6. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

Actually, I got hooked on Egyptians. :egypt:

7. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Babylon is really awesome. I don't have a problem with treasury actually because the cheap happiness buildings give me the option of putting science at very high while still maintaining a very high tax rate(Usually around 70/30). In late game with bargaining, I have science maxed at 100% and have positive 300 or so gold income. There is no better science civ in the game. Certainly top Tier all the way through Emperor. I'd place them high 2nd tier on difficulties above that because they don't have the commercial trait.

8. Jopedamus I

Jopedamus I Immortality is reality

Sumeria is better in every way than Babylonia. Babylonians main problems: Slow expansion and lousy UU.. Yes, it might be good below emperor but so are all the other civs too... :lol:

9. Archbob

The UU isn't a "domination" UU but its not lousy. 2/2 has a significant advantage over 2/1. Once you conquer a city with the bowmen, you don't have to build a spearmen to defend it. The bowmen can defend quite well in the ancient age. The unit is also clutch for keep chokepoints like mountains/hills/ etc. Its a pretty effective unit for sieging cities.

I'm playing this Civ on emperor right now and ancient age conquest is pretty easy.

10. Jopedamus I

It IS a lousy UU. You don't need spearmen in this game. It also comes at wrong time.

11. Archbob

Yeah, the only trouble is the early GA it sets off, but otherwise I actually like this UU, I can use it for attacking and defending. It is much better than the 2/1 Archer.

12. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

Uh, not that I'd agree with anything else you wrote :lol: but that is blatantly wrong.
    Greece, Korea and especially Byzantium are way better for research. For several magnitudes.

13. Archbob

Early to mid game, Babylon easily out-researches any other civ. I have the vanilla Civ III, not C3C so Byzantium isn't an option nor korea. Seafaring is a dependant trait anyways, if your playing on pangea, its pretty useless.

14. Jopedamus I

FAL@ How can YOU put Babylon in any tier when you have just vanilla Civ III and have missed over 10 civs and new traits?! Yes, in vanilla Babs are great civ but not anymore.

15. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Got to agree here.