1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The best strategy for rams and towers

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Yeah my bad, should slow down my replies, tx.

2. Turrdy

Turrdy Prince

pretty sure that's how it works already. Probably just a minor bug, like putting || (logical OR) instead of && (logical AND) when defining the types the Tower boosts. I mean it's a pretty huge difference if it says <INFANTRY>||<MELEE> instead of <INFANTRY>&&<MELEE> :dunno:

3. MooFreaky

MooFreaky Meatbag Destroyer

I meant in the description of how it works rather than the code itself. So you don't get the problems like Victoria described where it is unclear which units get which benefits from numerous rules.

4. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

Yeah I agree seems to me that the problem is deeper than simply a miscommunication of the used ontology of units. The data model at the heart the software is either ill-defined or badly used functionally.

5. Olleus

Olleus Deity

By far the simplest way of avoiding the double meaning of 'melee' is to rename the warrior/swords/ect... combat type to "shock". It also describes what they do pretty well.

But I agree, the most infuriating thing about Civ6 (after the AI) is the inability to find out what things actually do. I can't help but feel like I'm playing in the dark.

TheMeInTeam and masda_gib like this.
  6. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, they really need to fix up the definitions. It should be:
    There are 2 types of combat, melee and ranged.
    Unit types are in various classes: shock, anti-cav, light cav, heavy cav, bombard, and ??? (however you want to describe the archer line of units)

That way, it would be clear which bonuses refer to the type of combat (melee vs ranged), and which apply to the type of unit (warrior vs spearman, archer vs catapult).

7. masda_gib

masda_gib Warlord

Yes, this. When an effect says "for melee units" you never know is it all melee units or just the warrior line? This same wording for "type of attack" and "promotion line" infuriates me. 8)

8. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

That's a good point. I sometimes forget that the Walls grant the city attack.

I guess my new checklist will be:
    A) If I plan to capture and keep city, bring a Siege Tower
    B) If I plan to capture and return city, bring a Battering Ram
    C) If I just plan on harassing until the AI makes peace, bring a Battering Ram
    D) Or, why not just bring both so I won't have to worry?

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I'll bring a ram, I'm a kiwi.

craney1987 likes this.
  10. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

Build whatever you can build and bring whatever you have nearby.